Dodge Durangos

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverKing, Jul 30, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Does anyone own a Dodge Durango? If so do you like it, has it been a good car. How is the gas mileage? And if you have a boat, does it do a good job pulling a load? I found one the other day that is a 2001 w/ 80K miles, loadedheated seats, power everything, leather, 4x4. 5.9 liter engine, its decked out. They want 7k for it. I dont have a car payment right now, and dont know if i really want one, so I want to get a little more info on the vehicle before i make a decision. It looks and drives real nice, now i want some input from people who may own one.

2. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    we have a 2003.we are at the end of lease so we are letting it go back.gas milage stinks.we average about 13 mpg in it.we went to cincy last week and got 16 on the highway.nice vehicle no problems at all with it just gas is not good.never hauled the boat with it but im guessing it would be fine. it has pretty good power.if your looking for a every day driver i would say no.if just a recreational vehicle and gas prices dont bother you go for it.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The market for trucks and sport utes is really depressed right now...if that's really what you need/want, you should find some real bargains. $7k sounds like a lot of money for an eight year old truck to me...

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I R mechanic. I have fixed several of those 5.9 liters and here is my advice. Make sure it doesn't have even the slightest sign of a miss and ask them if it has been using any coolant. If so Don't Buy It! The head gaskets tend to have slight blown condition and the only sign will be a small miss not worth worrying about and it uses a bit of water. However what it does end up doing is burning a hole in the piston. When water turns to steam it is hotter than normal combustion. You'll have the heads pulled off and they will tell you your heads are cracked. You'll need a piston, 1 or both heads, head gaskets and all the fixings. I have done this specific repair on that specific engine several times. If it is using water have the head gaskets replaced before it burns a piston if you are already an owner but beware you will probably be told you have 1 or both heads cracked when you take them off. The guy at the machine shop here laughs when you bring him 5.9 heads and just says thier cracked I don't need to look at them.

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have an 01 Durango R/T. 5.9 , auto, AWD/4WD, 3.90/1 axles. Bought it new, its got a lil over 135k on it now. No major problems, the cv joint went out on the front drive shaft, had a conventional one custom built with u-joints for 1/2 what they wanted for a stock replacement. other than that all is good. We are gettin around 22 mpg highway, stop & go city driving sucks though, drops down to about 14 mpg. It tows my fully rigged Lowe 1652 with no trouble.
    As far as the guy talking about head gaskets and coolant leaks, I have a 98 Ram 4x4 thats got the 5.9 too at 145k and have had no issues with headgaskets on it either, nor know of anyone that has.
    Good luck.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Perhaps it's a desert thing, it does do120 degrees pretty regularly here, and our summer is longer as well.