Doc's Drift Buckets

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Doctor, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Originally posted September 19, 2004 by Doc on the old BOC site.

Here's the set-up that I use on the river, take a 5 gallon bucket and drill five 1/1/2 inch holes with a hole saw

[​IMG]

I use old cast net ropes as I ruin a bunch during a season, take two lengths about three foot long and loop them thru the big swivel, then drill 4- 3/8" holes in the upper thick rim of the bucket

[​IMG]

Make sure the knots are on the outside of the bucket as all of the pull will be to the inside of the bucket, it can spin freely with out getting tangled up due to the big swivel.

[​IMG]

Attach a carbine to the other end, you can attach it to a cleat on the boat or to a lashdown eye. The black rope is about three foot in length.

[​IMG]

When all is said and done here is what you will end up with,

[​IMG]

And the final product looks like this

[​IMG]

Never have tried it out on a pontoon but it works great on a boat and best of all it's cheap, stores easily, and sticks and logs won't tear into fabric like a driftsock. The buckets are about 4-5 feet behind the boat hooked to the transom, the current flows by the boat and fills the buckets, if the wind is blowing upstream and you have heavy current the boat will not move, this is a whole lot safer than dropping a rear anchor down, which is something I refrain from doing, the buckets are much safer, when you retrieve them just hold the bucket against the side of the boat and the water will drain rapidly from the bucket.........Doc