docks,structer

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Dec 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok, its cold my hotspots are a know go, now theres some docks in a discharge lake,that got shad all over,is this a good place to drop your bait ,i never heard of docks being structer, i had alot of bites and one on that got off,

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Warm water in winter, shad everywhere, sounds like a perfect cat/bass haven. I fish a dock too and I havent stopped catchin em yet, water temp is 50 at the dock, hot water area the water is 82 degrees, got fisah in there too. still think its alittle early before all the fish and bait go back there completely

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a nice spot Jake.Docks are good cover wherever you find em,add in the shad and the warm water and you seem to have found your own little piece of heaven.:wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jake sounds like you have located a promising location. Give it another try and post a review.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the water is shallow there about 5 foot,but, my main dock is much deeper, so thanks guys for your imput ill give it another shot tomarow night, just cant get a cat to bite in the day,that colds hard on a 150 pound guy like me,2 years ago i was 230 lbs and the cold did not bother me lol

6. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    dont worry about the depth, I was fishing and getting hits in 2, 5 and 8 feet of water today. I havent night fished in a while, all my fishing has been day time since probably september. just dont give up. That suit you have on in your avatar looks warm man, but then again I got 40 more LBs on my body lol. I know you miss 230 now lol.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well as long as i got my heater running in my car im fine i just sit in their and listin to tunes

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27::0a27::0a27:

9. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    good luck out there today brother, im hittin the water myself in a couple hours. wish I could pull my truck up to the water cause its gonna be cold lol

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol yes it is

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good Luck Jake and Ramon..

I have used the truck heater,, good stuff.. when it is applicable.

I have a question,, If you are fishing off the bank. What kind of thermometer do you use?
    In the boat no problem, but, I've not come up with a bank fishing thermometer, yet.

12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama

oh :smile2: I started on the dock and my friend picked me up on his boat, his fishfinder/gps gave me all the temperatures lol

13. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    i have a humminbird rod and reel depth finder, the thing is a beauty in small ponds, and it tells the temperature, depth, and if there are fish around. I really, really enjoy it

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Look in any flyfishing catalog or shop.They sell em,they,re glass thermometers surrounded by a metal housing,about as big as a pencil.Usually runs about $10 for a decent one.They got a spot to tie a line on the end.I usually keep about 20ft of line on mine and store it on an old line spool.:wink:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Might have to invest in one of those

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems the surface temp was 50 by judging so the deeper must be warmer i guess, for blues i dont think its a big problem but flats are slugish

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for the info on the thermometers,, Matt, and Pat..
    I'd been thinking one would be nice,, at times..