Dock manners

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Kittyhunter, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Nothing burns my butt more than to see some idiot block the boat ramp. We were at the lake one weekend and a storm came up. Everybody was rushing to get out of the water. I pulled up to the dock (well away from the ramp), tied the boat off and walked to the parking lot to get my truck. I got in line (with everybody else) to back down the ramp and I'm sitting there looking at this one ramp. Well, nobody is backing down it, nobody is coming out, so I pulled over and started backing down. This fool has pulled his boat right up to the end of the ramp and tied off. He is about 4 people behind me in line. Now he has blocked the ramp so nobody else could use it. It made me so mad, I backed my trailer right down the ramp and cocked it sidways within inches of his boat, walked down the dock (in no hurry at this point) got my boat and proceeded to load it on the trailer. His wife is yelling at me not to hit their boat. So ,I told her (in not so polite words) how stupid her husband was and that if he hadn't parked his boat there, she wouldn't have to worry about anybody hitting it. Anyway, with all that said, common courtesy is to tie off out of the way, get your trailer in the water, then bring your boat to the trailer. Am I the only one who thinks this is the right thing to do?

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    We went to the local boat ramp on the river one night to do some cattin'. We get to the ramp (there is a parking area up the hill from the ramp), drive down the hill and low and behold, some idiot has launched his boat, pulled the trailer just out of the water and left it there on the ramp, truck and all. Now there is barely enough room for one vehicle on the ramp, so everybody else is SOL. Now, there were already 2 other trailers on top of the hill empty. That means, 2 other boats are in the water and have to get out. What was this guy thinking? We stood there for a few minutes, called the police (who said they didn't have jurisdiction). We almost shifted it into neutral and rolled it off in the river. If we'd had a tow strap, we would have dragged it out of there. All we could do was leave him a nasty little note on his windshield. We let him know just how much of an idiot he was and told him if we ever caught it there again, he would find it in the river. We have been down ther before and had people fishing from the bank parked on the ramp. What are these people thinking? Do they actually think they are the only ones who want to fish? Some people just don't think. Anyway, I'm done now.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    May I ask what day of the week this occured.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    Now don't take this the wrong way but, Does it matter? It was on the weekend both times. The lake incident was during a busy time of year and there were a lot of people trying to get boats out because of the storm. This guy blocked the ramp keeping probably 5-10 people from using it while he waited in line. The river incident was at a popular ramp that is frequently used, there were other trucks there with empty trailers. Anybody with common sense could have figured out that these people would have to come back to this ramp to leave. The next nearest ramp is about 10 minutes away by truck. We wound up going to the other ramp but shouldn't have had to. It is a public ramp. Whether it was a Monday or Friday should not make any difference. I wonder how those other guys felt when they got ready to leave and couldn't get their boats out of the water. There is plenty of parking less than 100 yards away from the ramp.

5. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I'll go along with Kittyhunter on this one. Some people just don't care about anything anymore. Polite seem to disappear with money and age. and I don't mean old age.
    Stubby

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, gotta agree, there are some dandy's at the ramps. The tie-off-on-the-ramp-side is one of my faves and happens constantly at the lake I go to. I about had a guy hit my boat with his pontoon last night, he and his buddy had dropped off the rest of their party to get the trailer and were talking as their boat drifted almost into mine. Then, of course, they hammered the throttle to get it away and beat the snot out of my (admittedly ugly, anyway) boat against the dock from the wake. They were pretty well lit, which didn't help. One of those deals where it took them about 40 minutes to get the whole mess on the trailer and get out of everyone's way.

I also like the jet skiers who wait until dark to try and get out and then circle the ramp area with no lights on trying to get hit while they're waiting their turn to load.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I just hate when people don't care about no one but their self. I would of made sure that the guy leaving his boat and trailer on the ramp would of been there overnight too. But I had a jet skier that couldn't wait and as I backed into the water and was unloading my boat from the trailer. He shot right next to my trailer and unloaded his jet ski. He said he was in a hurry after I yelled at him. I pulled up and parked my truck and returned to my boat and guess what... He tied his jet ski off on the back handle of my boat. As I seen him walking toward me from his truck I drove my boat out to the center of the lake with the jet ski still tied to my boat. The guy screaming and cussing me, I got to the middle of the lake and cut the rope and went on my way of fishing. He was swimming toward it as I was leaving. I guess he wasn't in that big of a hurry after all. I seen him later and he wouldn't even look my way. You think he is still mad?? :D

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was going home to Tybee Island Ga,about 3:45 am.After working a break down.I saw 2 men waving their arms side of the highway,near the boat ramp.I stoped.They explained the situationThey had unloaded their bass boat,and left the truck and trailer on the ramp,just as he parked to unload the boat.(yep,in the middle of a double ramp)This way,all they had to do was run the boat up on the trailer,when they got back.They left he emergency brake on and a chocks behind the wheel.They thought someone had shoved their truck in the water."A little of the top was sticking out".I figured the same,being they had blocked the ramp.I was told that they parked like this "all the" time back home,at their friends private ramp,at his home on the lake.Also,only had a boat and been fishing,for less than 2 months.Then to top it all,I found out that they had parked at 9:30 pm,which was dead low tide.The Tide had come in on these inland fisherman.It seems like,from the start,they just didn;t know any better.Had it not been for a slow time of the year,and springing tides,someone else may have been at the boat ramp,and stoped them from parking.I realy felt sorry for them after I learned all of this.I went and called a wrecker,came back and waited untill it got there.While living at the landing at Santee,I saw many things.You have a lot of selfish people out there,but some just don;t know any better.peewee-williams

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Tha's funny there!!! Mother Nature got him.

10. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    lol that was funny pee wee and I would have done the same thing with the jetski but I would have taken it to the other side of the lake I hate when people think they can work on their boats at the docks and block the ramp if it dont start take it home sheesh

11. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    That was some funny stuff with the jet ski. I'll have to remember that one. I was at the lake once and these guys had driven who knows how far to get there and the battery was dead when they tried to start it. I ALWAYS check mine before I leave the house.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I really wish they would have mandatory boating classes for everyone. Including those of us who have boated for over 10 years. Maybe we could get some of the idiots off the water. And we would have some recourse when reporting them. I just dont understand how someone can buy a boat and hit the water without having a clue.

I used to go to Lake Cumberland all the time but after seeing the Buckeye navy try to kill each other with their floating mansions its just too dangerous for a little fishing boat. Id rather go one on one with a barge on the Ohio River anyday. Not trying to attack Ohio fisherman but if you had to deal with the Ohio Navy and SOME of these morons youd understand. I seen one of these guys launch his boat with his trailor attached. LMAO He couldnt understand why his boat wasnt moving like it should. We just watched and laughed. Best 30 minutes I ever spent waiting on a ramp.

13. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    lol derby thats a funny one also

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just like the bank fishermen that park there sorry butt in the middle of a semi busy ramp and start fishing. I hate waiting for people to get there uncontrollable kids off the ramp while I'm backing down also.

15. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I always start the motor on the trailer before I unload the boat. Believe Me, that motor doesn't know its not in the water for a few seconds. I been doing that for 50 years and I've never had a motor conplain yet. I've had a couple that didn't fire right up and it always turned out to be something I did, not the motors fault. Had one one time that wouldn't pressure up on the gas bulb and it turned out someone had barrowed the gas tank. Had one that didn't start once but found out My brother-in law had eased the plug wire off a bit.
    "Boat" a hole it the water that I Pour money in.
    Stubby (Carl) in Kansas

16. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I would like to add, not all bankfishers fishing on the docks are a pain. On the Ohio river, the few times they were there while putting in or out, they got out of the way as far as they could and even helped tie off. Of course, this is usually at night and not a cluster there to begin with.

17. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I like to launch at a nice, new public ramp closeby on the Tennessee river. Problem is, everyone else likes to use it too whether they have a boat to launch or not.
    It makes me want to go ballistic when I come into the ramp and there's a huge group of mixed aged kids swimming on it. That's because NORMAL kids see you coming to the ramp and get out of the water, but NOT these kids. Nope, they usually stay right there and you finally have to scream bloody murder at them until one of their parents shows up and gets them all out. Then the parent just looks at you like you're totally evil and had absolutely no right to ask them to move.
    The last group I met was completely unattended and only moved to one side of the two lane ramp after I threatened to call the law from my cell phone. They still wouldn't get out even after I told them the suction from my prop could pull any one of them under my boat and cut them to ribbons. I ended up having to pull my boat out while half hanging off the cement slab on one side to do it. :cursing:
    At this ramp there's also a jettie that was built to protect this ramp from the river current and provide a small, calm area for launching. The upriver side of this jettie is 100,000,00% open to the river channel and provides 300+ feet of beautiful, unobstructed, open water to cast to. I know this for a fact because I've fished off this jettie myself countless times.

So where do you suppose the local numbskulls like tightline for catfish? Yep, you guessed it, right across the one little channel that takes you into the ramp. Yes sir, I HAVE cut several lines and have also pulled more than one Zebco Rhino right into the drink. This is the spot where you're supposed to stop me and ask if I care. :rolleyes:

I've bank fished all my life up until a few years ago and I never once acted like a moron or ever shown any disregard for other folks on the water. I was taught differently than to ever be impolite to others. What is it with folks these days?

Steve

18. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    The crazyest one that happened to me was at the ramp down from my house I got to the river at frist lite and low an behold there where 50 people in white robes at frist I thunk Ododo a CLAN meeting ,but it was worst cause they would have under stood going fishing on sunday morning ,but it was the Babtist church holden a babtizen and a sing along ,complete with rock chuncker to keep the gators away from the flock.I was imformed that they would be done in half and hour and I was welcome to sing along or just wait.
    Well me and my pard though it over and since nether he or I was much of church folk we gathered up some fire wood and had us a pot of coffee and wildturkey with a side of brats cooked on a stick . and we hummed along.
    Amen
    _________--be well -----mule

19. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    crmule, now that is a good story!

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Now that's a good one. I wonder what they would of done if you started backing down.