Do Yourself A Favor-Take A Kid Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Captain Ahab, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

State:
    Owensville, MO.
    As Old Man Winter makes himself comfortable in my neck of the woods I have time to reflect on days gone by when certain things had special meaning to me. I had a daughter that was born to me in the spring of 1981 and she was the apple of my eye. I spent a lot of time with her doing the "Dad" thing and one of our favorite things to do was fish. She was definitly my fishing buddy. In the fall of '89 we were sharing some special time together fishing a lake south of town when she hooked a Crappie that measured 15 1/2 inches long. That was a monster for us. I had it mounted and she recieved a Certificate from the Missouri Derpartment Of Conservation Master Anglers Award.

That was 1989.

Today my little girl is married to a Naval Flight Officer stationed at Whidbey Island, Washington State. He is a fine young man from South Carolina and is dedicated 110% to the security of America.

!8 years later and thousands of miles away and one of the most heartwarming things that my daughter and I talk about are the days we spent fishing together. She asked me to send the mounted Crappie and the Missouri Master Anglers Award Certificate to her.

Today it hangs on their wall at their home in Anacortes Island, Washington.

Folks let me tell you...........................
    You would not believe how much I MISS HER.

Do yourself a favor.
    Take A Kid Fishing.
    Take The Time.
    Pass It On.
    You Won't Regret It.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    If I live to be 110 many of my most favorite and cherished memories will always be of me and my dad out fishing.

He may not be out there with me physically when I fish now, but he is always with me, EVERY trip.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good post! 5 stars! Still take my boyz whenever they are available. Got a few guys from work I take quite a bit with their son or daughter. Ain't nothin like it!

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Take a kid fishing and teach them to "Get hooked on fishing not on drugs."

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post!

I have a 1 year old daughter and another child on the way. Believe me, I CAN NOT WAIT till the day I can take them fishing with me!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just love to get my kids along with me and I cant wait till the granddaughter is old enough too!

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I take my 3 and 7 year old with me alot. That was a great story Ahab. Thanks for sharing.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Captain Ahab, this is a 5 star post.
    I too can't think of any better memories from my childhood then the hours fishing with my dad and running the river (he let me start diriving when i was about 10). In remember running the trot lines before school then dad would pick me up after school and we would run them again.

I have a 15 year old daughter and she loves to fish and run the rivers too.

I'm glad she's proud to call herself a "River Rat"