DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 19, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    With the holiday weekend coming up, I figured on giving everyone a quick heads up on at least one aspect of water safety. Last Saturday night I took my boys out on the Colorado river to hunt for flatheads. While the night was pretty good fishing, at around 3am we ran into a potentialy bad situation. Coming up a main channel from the dam, we hit a sand bar at 300 rpm's. The motor cut out immediately and I was worried that the prop might have sheared off...after closer inspection I realized that we were in less that a foot of water and getting turned 180 degrees by the current. The current actually helped me out by pushing us off the sand bar so I could get the motor started again. Thank God, it started right up and I was able to limp over to a deeper channel. After a while I noticed that the motor kept bogging down at times and then jumping up in RPMs on its own. While there was still plenty of fishing to do, I didnt want to place my boys in any more danger so I limped the boat back to the dock where I could see things better with on the motor. I noticed that there was quite a bit of debris caught up in the prop and cleaned it out. After that,I tooled around in the dock area for a while to ensure that every thing was good to go. Then after I was sure that things were good, we fished a little longer with no more problems.

So here's the deal. I screwed up potentialy really bad! I have not been on the river during the day in long time. Therefore, I did not know how low the water had dropped and where all the shallows and sand bars are out there. As much as I fish the Colorado, I know better than to do that...especially with my kids being on board. While I do have a depth finder on my boat, by the time my transducer (mounted on the back of the boat) picked up the depth signal, the front of the boat was already too shallow. I also didnt know how much debris was floating down stream until the next morning when the sun came up. I recommend doing our homework as boaters. Im going out during the day to do some scouting this week so I can avoid this problem next weekend. Please be safe out there every body....and happy fishing!

2. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like you got a wake up call there..... Could have been worse, thank God it wasnt ; )

4. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Most depth finders have a shallow alarm, I use my alarm most all the time, I have been in new waters and found the bottom several times, I even have the props to prove it, Here is a suggestion, at night never run faster than you can see, what is i mean by this is go slow, there are times when the sky and moon lights up the water almost like day light but there are things that even this amount of light will not show, don't be fooled back off and take it easy, there is nothing that important were you need to risk life or limb.
    second at night always use you pfd, and know where the nearest shore is, I have some mini stobes i use for duck hunting that attach to the vests, this is a good little devise to have, easy to keep a eye of a person floating away, third never panic keep a cool mind, this will help in making rash choices. and the final one is never take chances on the water, water is the most unforgiving part of nature, the power of water is always underestimated,

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Note, taking note of the sandbars during the daytime is only partially usefull since "I'm sure you know" the water can drop 4 or even more feet after the sun goes down.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    glad everyone OK, we been dealing with just the opposite here. water is at floodstage on the rivers, lots of submerged tree tops and debris in water. Someone run into a deep freezer during the Ronald Mcdonald bass tourny this past weekend. stay safe, come back in one piece.

7. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    Great post, and courageous to admit you know now that you should have done something different. I was riding in a friend's jet-powered johnboat a few years ago, and I can't imagine what it would be like to slam into a shallow bar at night. Scary, comes to mind. :)

Thanks for the post.