DO YOU WEAR A LIFE JACKET WHILE RUNNING YOUR BOAT OR WHEN NEAR A DAM

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by KY KATS, Jan 22, 2010.

1. KY KATS

KY KATS New Member

State:
    ky
    We lost several fisherman to drowning in 2009 that could have been prevented. In TN you have to wear your lifejacket when you are within a certain distance at the Old Hickory Dam. I think it would help every where.

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I always wear mine when the motor is running or around a dam or any dangerous water. Life is too precious to waste unnecessarily.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    if i am on the water my vest is on my fat butt period !!!!!!!! AT ALL TIMES

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    We've always had them on the boat as required,, but, unless we get into the water, to cool off,etc,,, never really wore them,,
    Recently, I picked up an automatic style vest, and, plan on wearing it while on the boat..

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Always when under power and I insist that passengers do the same. You know, "an ounce of prevention". I am currently looking into the auto inflate style so I won't have to remove it while anchored. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:flag:

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Got what is required for my boat and occupants.... kids under age wear all the times..... I do not wear my preserver.... I do not fall out of boat any more..... and do not take chances..... so I'm Ok... for the most part.... on others boat, and my small boat ... I do wear my manual inflatable one...

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If there's a lot of boat traffic on the lake I wear mine. Most of my fishing is done through the week when there is little to no boat traffic though. Of a night I do wear it . Things change faster after dark seems like. Not to often do I fish the river but if I do fish the river yes I would wear my vest.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dallas are you admitting that you got lead in your britches.:laugh1: I have a vest on anytime the large motor is running.

9. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    I never did wear mine that much during the warmer months but always in the winter due to hypo but i think it's a good habit to pick up i tell all my passengers to wear one but i need to pratice what i preach

10. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I wear an auto inflate from the time my foot hits the boat until my butt hits the seat of the truck pulling out. I tend to be clumsy and especially this time of year whether you are a strong swimmer or not when you hit the water you only have a couple of minutes to either get yourself in the boat or be rescued. I have been in 40 degree water over my head, it is invigorating in NOT a good way. When I fish below Wilson dam it is required within 800 ft of the dam. I strongly encourage everyone to wear their lifejacket.

11. paul c

paul c New Member

State:
    sparks ga
    Now that im older & wiser with a family I will allways wear a" LIFE JACKET " I wonder why they call it a LIFE jacket.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yes Micky i admit it lol i swim like a two ton no roll lol strait down

13. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I never wear mine. I know I should, but I don't (never really think much about it). I never fish near dams or in freezing cold weather. I also drive my boat like an old woman (snail speed) lol... I do keep life jackets on the boat and they are always within reach if I have to grab one in a hurry. I'll probably be more likely to wear mine once I start fishing larger and more dangerous places such as the Ohio River.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  14. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I do wear one when fishing near a dam, but on regular waters I generally dont. I have one of those pull cord ones but I figure I will bump my head on the way out and whats the use of the pull cord at that point?

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i fish rivers almost exculsively,and in the past never have worn my life jacket.but i've read so many horror stories this year,where a life vest would have been the difference in life an death.
    so as of right now my plans are to wear one,being i can't swim.but by the time i actually start goin,i'll probably forget all about it.i really do need to wear it,and plan to.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i wear it when i feel uncomfortable with the moment otherwise its laying at my feet . im sure everyone should wear them when running or near a dam . in fact here the lock masters on the ohio pretty much inforce it . its dangerous out there at times be safe and dont take unnessesary risks .

17. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    If we are on water when it gets real bad or heavy current, we would. But generally we don't wear them they are in the compartment ready. I recently got an inflatable belt-type that I plan on wearing when I go out alone. I agree it is a good idea to wear them, but its hard to when it is HOT out.

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I really should but don't . I won't use my boat at all when the river is up . I Always have them on my kids tho period !

19. lilfatgirl

lilfatgirl New Member

State:
    iowa
    With the asian carp I always wear mine. If one of them hit me I am liable to go overboard and can't swim that great. grankids all the time...

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the USCA sista