do you use weight on you limblines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by fishinfreak19D, Jul 30, 2009.

how do you set up your limblines

1. with weight to keep it on/near bottom

2. keep it just under the surface

3. let your bait move around freely

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    jst wonderin how everyone sets up thier limblines with live bait, keep bait near bottom, right at surface, or let it swim freely. i usually shorten the line with a knot that my bait wont undo but a large cat will to keep my bait just under the surface but then give the cat a little room to swim

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually run poles in the fall and I always want my bait suspended, so depending on size of bait I will use either 2 or 3 oz. weights to keep it down but still allow movement. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes I usually put some split shot on them to keep the bait just under the surface.

4. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the weight to be about 6" under, with a swivel and a leader that's length depends on cover. On the Kaw, I have to make adjustments due to the fluctuation of water depth, if they shut off Tuttle water can drop 2-4ft overnight so I leave enough length to keep the cats from getting dry.

5. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, it totally depends on the location. When I'm running two hooks on one line I put a large bank sinker at the end of the line to keep the two baits from getting tangled. The other main factor is line length. If the line is going to be much more than 4' I might use some kind of weight to help it hold position and keep the bait from hiding somewhere.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    When I used to run limb lines I used fresh cut bamboo poles about 6 to 7 feet long and pushed about a foot or two of it into the bank (mud) . I would always use a large swivel at the end of line with a split shot right above the swivel . I used to always connect a 12 inch steel leader to the swivel and set the rig to where the split shot was just under the water a few inches .

With the swivel and the leader it allowed no stress on the line if the fish desided to roll alot after being hooked . We always called them slap poles cause if set right , when a fish is on the bamboo pole would slap the water and we could hear it at night and go retrieve the fish .

I got rid of all the bamboo poles I had and the place we used to cut them keeps it all mowed diown now . If I run across any again I may run them again . I have thought of making them out of pvc but around here I would have to camo the white poles or idiots would be curious and mess with them .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You mean you use a bunch of rods hanging over the water or something ??? If not and you are talking about just regular rod and reel fishing you should try it sometime you might like it . Reason I am asking is cause this post is about limblines . Heck we know most of us fish with a rod and reel . Thats why this section is called Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish A place to talk about all legal methods of catching catfish, other than rod and reel. Jug fishing, Noodling, Trotlines, Limblines, Yo-Yo's, etc.

8. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Dang, you beat me to it!:wink:

9. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If water is rather still where your are droppin your line I live to keep live bait close to the surface. This gives the live bait a little room to run and make noise at the surface. It also keeps the bait alive longer. If dropping in current I use whatever weight gets the fish down under the water. Good luck.

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I take a spool of twine and thread on a 4oz. egg sinker then tie on a 8oz. bank sinker...then i strip off aabout 3 feet of line pinch the line and put it through the eyelet and loop it or whetevet it is clled...then i take about 2 1/2 feet of line and do the same thin till i have 5 swivles on it then i strip off aout 30 feet of line then take a pop bottle and twist the cap off anf squeez it so there is a wide v shape and wrap the bank line around it and then i take roughly 2 feet ot the most 8 in and the lest of twine and tie a hook on it and then i tie sort of a over hand kot so i have a loop at the top so i can just clip it on the trot line!!!I bait with whatever i have usually a drum od bluegill/bullhead and since i cought a skipjack on my r&r yesterday im baiting with that today in a little bit after this!! Then i just throw it out...If i use a jug line i do the same but i use only a 5oz. bank sinker no egg.. and loop a 1/2 in nut on the line and drop it in the bottle and screw the cap on it and toss it out there!!

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    set my limb lines the same way:wink:

12. fatboy2006

fatboy2006 New Member

State:
    nc
    This is fatboy from nc.Around here we put a 2or 3 oz. on the line.The is about 1 foot from your bait.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've done it all ways but over the years I've caught bigger fish on limblines with my gills suspended, using weights, 12-36" off the bottom.

Water level flucuations caused from Buckhorn Dam upstream make it tricky to place the bait shallow. I set three shallow out like that this Spring and when I checked them next morning the baits were 18" out of the water.

But when the river's on the rise small hooks w/minnows at the surface works great for just about everything in the water. Catch alot of nice crappie, channels, and bass that way.

14. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually have a 8-10oz weight, good heavy swivel, 2-3" leader from the swivel and my hook. I don't like a long drop off of the swivel because I don't want the bait to swim out of the fish's mouth when he takes a nab at it. That is also why I use a heavy weight, the bait can still thrash around, but he isn't going to make it far

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    1 to 3 old castnet weights work great for limb lines I thread em on down to the swivle and they wind up so nice on a welding spool. Its a great use of old castnet weights besides usen em of sinkers or scrap lead. They also ride well in the current.

16. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Reps to you Floyd. :wink:

17. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    "Catch alot of nice crappie, channels, and bass that way." So,--- this is how you catch bait, right? :big_smile:

18. FATBOY DAN

FATBOY DAN New Member

State:
    West T= IN.
    :cool2: I usely have 5 out 2 with live bait no wieght,2 on bottom with wieght and one mid way down with just a little wieght to keep it just uder the water say about 4 feet and i all so use polelines great fishing as well as i jug fish to.

19. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Bankpoles- Depending on current, live bait, 3"-5"little gills/bullheads etc 1 oz. Bigger baits 5"-7" bullheads 2oz or 3 oz. 6"-12" carp etc 5oz-8oz. We like our live baits to be in the bottom third of the water column most times. For blues in swift water and whole 8"-12" shad we've used 1lb+ weights before. Limblines are illegal here. We like our bankpoles setup with the weight 8"-1ft or so above the hook(s). Setup like our cat rigs for rod and reel. Nice big barrel swivel(most of ours are 2- 2 1/2" long) holds the weight up off the hook/bait. Skip the "snap swivels" if you after anything over 4 lbs. Ive bought the biggest I could find and still had'em straighten out the snap. Keeps the live bait from getting into alot of brush and they still have a nice place to swim around and draw Mr. Flatty. Trotlines we just use the weights between the drops, window weights usually. Our bankpoles for bullheads can have 3 or 4 hooks on'em depending on the regulations for a body of water, whether we're after eatin bullheads or bait bullheads and how many bullheads we want.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm using cut bait, I use a weight; when using live bait, I like to have the bait just barely under the surface with no weight whatsoever so it can splash around.