Do you use mono or braid?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 10, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Which line do you use the majoirty of the time for your catfishing, Mono or Braid.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Monofilament. I've thought about braid leaders lately, since I've been using JHooks a lot more.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gave power pro braid a fair shot a couple years ago, and went back to mono.

I just could not get used to it, and I did not like the low abrasion resistance

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% unequivocally, BRAID, with a fluorocarbon leader. BRAID RULES!

Bill in SC

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would not use braid again if If it was free, I think Braid sucks:big_smile:

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    To be honest with you Jack i love BRAID, but with the low abrasion resistance i am "forced" to fish with mono. i fish some really rocky, thick with brush areas and i cant use the braid because of that. in the right circumstances it is awesome, i like the fact that it has no memory, no line stretch, smoothness in casting, small diameter and usually much stronger than it is rated. Only down side is if you fish high abrasion areas.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    mono, i still like braid but usually only for ocean or lakes

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack I have tried braid but always go back to mono. I make a lot of mistakes and I think mono is more forgiving.

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    mono for me , tried braid a few years ago just didnt like it all that much might try it again someday

10. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I use both mono and dacron braid

11. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have used mono for years but added TOW braid to a couple of reels this year because of revues I've read on here. Haven't gotten enough OJT to make an informed decision yet, but I'm going to give it ample opportunity next year:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just switched to braid a few months ago and I love it! Casts smooth as can be and I really have not had any abrasion issues fishing in brushy areas. I am cartain it will not hold up well in rocks though. If I were fishing rocky area Id be using mono. I use spinning reels and love the fact that even after being on a reel for ages it still has no memory.

13. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    I'm using both mono and braid this year and like them both. Out of the braids I've tried I think I like the braid by Vicious the best it seems stronger and more abrasion resistant to me. But with saying that if I could only choose one I would have to go with the mono even if not for the price alone. Also bought some of that Tug O War from Team Catfish this year but haven't spooled it yet so no feed back yet.
    The braid is on my 6500 and Okuma 50s and it's nice to be able have that extra bit of line on those reels because of the smaller dia.

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I have always used mono. My father had braid on a reel years ago and I hated it.

I guess I just don't need to cast all that far, because the mono does just fine for what I need. Then again, I don't use anything bigger than 20# test.

15. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use mono as of now. but i am switching over to braid soon. because of the stretch factor of mono....ive lost song hawgs because of mono cuz of poor hook sets and braid should fix that.

16. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i use mono. i have used some braids but i dont like the low abrasion and the stiffness of it. although i am kinda fond of the berkley gorilla tough sinking braid.

17. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i have only ever fished with mono but im thinking of trying braid her sometime soon i will have a comparison then

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I switched back and forth a couple times but now I stick with my 80# mono.. I have lost so many good fish due to rocks with braid. The only acception is the Mason 96# Braid, Luckey Wade uses it and its like rope. Now that stuff dont break on anything! I might try some next year!

19. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Braid all the way ! The upper lake of Santee is full of stumps and braid is the only way to bully them to the boat!:big_smile:

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I do use both but I run Cajun, BG, and P-pro. Each line has a different quality in it that I like.

Braid to me is the best BUT that depends on where you fish. My lake for instance is a rock and standing timber lake..it also has some good clean drifting bottoms too. The only place the braid wont hold is in the rocks while bank fishing. I realize braid will pull trees in but if your in a place where you hook unmovable objects ( boulders, stumps ) the braid will break, like every line will. When off the bank your line is at a very long sloping angle, this means your line is gonna hang up on more stuff as it is reeled in. Off a boat you pull your line in straighter up direction=less obstacles for your line to come across.

I throw out around 80 yards off the bank.By the time I reel in my line can be wedged between rocks from 40 yards back. When this happens, the line has a good chance of breaking 1/2 way. I seem to do better with the mono because it will scuff the line more times than it will snap like braid. If it happens within my leader ( last foot or 3 ) I'm fine...but that just isn't the case where I fish.

OK Bill....now ya know why I had braid on my reels at the tourney, LOL. I do love P-Pro and will always use it but only where I know it's safe. I do like it while drifting but if your drifting your not fishing as bad of standing timber and rocky bottoms anyway ; )

On my spinning gear I use braid no matter where I'm fishing because of the casting .

-Jim-