Do you use a palomar knot? And why?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by oahegw, Nov 12, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    For many years I have used the improved clinch knot to tie on my stuff. It has been satisfactory, but I find it more difficult to tie as I get older. It looks to me that I may have been side-lining a very excellant knot that Would be a good choice for me.

You guys that use the palomar, Why do you prefer it ? Also any other comments that you'd like to say.

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    up untill a week ago i also used the improved clinch. then i read a thread and most of them used the palomar or snell. so i asked them and they said they did pull test on different knots and palomar won each time so i started using them and like you the older i get my fingers dont work like they use to. and the palomar is an easier tie for me. this was helpful to mehttp://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like the palomar knot because it is very strong, and quick and easy to tie, even at night in the dark.

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
  5. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I, like most of you used to only use the clinch knot. Then a friend of mine showed me the Palomar knot and how strong it was and that's all I've used since. Plus, it is easier to tie and see especially as I get older and can't see as well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. The problem I have run into with the Palomar has been when your cinching it up and the line gets caught in that little gap where the end of the eye wire meets the hook shank on most hooks, especially the larger hooks, it gets caught in there alot for me, and I am afriad of the line getting nicked and creating a weak point by the time I get it out of that little nook and onto the loop where it is supposed to be.

Also It seems like a little bit more leader is being used up for that knot also by having to loop it over the hook. It is a nice strong knot though for sure, just gotta get used to it. I usually use the improved cinch.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    add another vote for the palomer for ease of use

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All i use are palomar and snell knots. When i make a leader i obviously use the snell on the hook side and then the palomar on the swivel side. I absolutely love the palomar knot and have used it ever since my gpa taught me years ago. The only reason i like the snell knot is i can pretie my leaders at home so it gives me something to do later at night AND because they look neat lol....Either way I dont believe its possible to beat the ole palomar.

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Yup me to,,
    We did the test at our fishing club and it won out every other knot as the stronges,,:wink:
    Puddle

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep all use cuz its one of the best knots and its easy and fast:wink:

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I've used the Palomar knot for years. It's simple to tie and I've never had one break at the knot or come apart (that I'm aware of). Occasionally I'll use a clinch knot if my leader already has a swivel on it. I use the Palomar for straight shank hooks but snell hooks with a bent or curved eye.
    I just figure, why change something that's been working.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the Palomar knot for everything. One of the strongest knots tested and very easy to tie. I have never had one fail.

14. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    palomar and snell. have not lost a fish from knot failure since i changed from the improved clinch knot.:roll_eyes:

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do use the palomar quite often - basically anywhere you would use an improved clinch. I prefer the palomar because it is more consistent (both based on many knot tests by myself and many others), stronger, and easier to tie.

I do not use a palomar in heavy - say over about 30 pound test - because it gets bulky and harder to pull tight. IN heavier line I go for a regular clinch or, more often, a uni-knot.

16. Badfinger

Badfinger Guest

If you know these two knots that is all you will need.

I use the Palomar for straight shank hooks but snell hooks with a bent or curved eye.

17. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yes i use it because its one of the strongest knots i've seen.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
  19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i like the palomar knot... it is quick and easy to tie, and it is one of the strongest i have found. im yet to have one fail, where as i have had improved clinch knots fail, only a few times, but it has happened. only thing about the palomar knot is that you have to plan out the order in which you tie your rigs. especially if you are tying a three way rig, it can be done you just have to think out the order of things.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    As stated in previous post, I love the Palomar knot because it is super strong and fast to tie. Also very easy and can be done quickly at night:wink: