Do you use a leader on your jugs?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Whistling Dixie, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have built a set of jugs and they perform well however a friend of mine told me he has a short leader on each jug. As I understand it he uses the green nylon string for a around 3 or 4 feet and then has a swivel where he then attaches a foot or so of monofilament and then his hook. Does anyone here use a similar rig? I'm wondering if I need to change my setup or leave it alone. Right now I just have the nylon string tied to the jug with the hook on the other end. I would appreciate any information you may have.

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have used 3-way swivels with leaders before. Works good. I would use a heavy mono leader. make it short,6-12",so yoou don't get it tangled.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't use a leader but someone else might know something I don't . I am a simple man with a simple plan .:wink:

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Done it both ways and both worked good for me. I go straight nylon now just for the ease of it.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use green trotline cord and use 3-way swivels. I use the same cord for the hook and sinker drops. Works well for me.

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a green dot braided nylon deep sea fishing line 100 # test. I run a 1/8oz
    egg sinker up the line about 18 in. above the hook and crimp on a small shot
    just to keep the sinker off the hook. I tie my hook directly to the braid.

7. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a swivel and 40# monofilament leader for each hook on my jugs.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't use mono leaders on my jugs. On my freefloating jugs, I simply tie a 4" dropper loop into the line to attach the hook. The line is twisted nylon, about 80#-100# test. I don't want heavier line because I sometimes have to break it off when it gets hung up on the bottom. On my anchored jugs, I tie shorter loops; then, wherever I want to attach a hook, I use a dropper just like on my trotlines. That way, I can attach the hooks as I put out the line, and remove them as I bring it in, so that I don't have a line with a bunch of hooks on it inside the boat, attached to a big catfish that may make a sudden run.
    But I do use mono to make up my crappie jugs. I simply tie on some 10# test mono; length depends on how deep I want to fish. Tie on a gold crappie hook, and clamp on a small splitshot above the hook.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just use tarred braided line, 1 oz egg sinker and a number 8 circle hook.