Do you use a cork with carolina rig?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, Apr 7, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    As I was getting all my rods together for in the morning I was wondering if you used a cork over a carolina rig. Normaly I tie a weight on the bottom and come up about 18 inches and tie on a leader and hook and fish with the weight just setting on bottom with the line tight. I have never carolina rigged for catfish, but have caught a ton of bass with that set up. I am going to bait a hole so don't expect anything big.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i do a small slip cork right above the bait to hold it off the bottom

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I use a small cork ONLY when I am having snag problems...

4. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a small cork sometimes. However, with that in mind, I vary the cork according to the water depth. If i put a cork near the bait, the bait is going to be off the bottom as long as my leader. If I don't get a bite, I move the cork up..... and vice versa.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Same Here. :0a23:

But I didn't use the rig for Catfishing until the B.O.C. - & I have been doing a hole lot better ever since.
    :wink:

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I try to mix it up and fish several rod with different set ups trying to
    get something that the cats prefer at that time. All carolina rigs some
    with some without corks. I vary the depth of water to. Starting close
    to the bank and get deeper with each rod.

7. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is what I am going to do. I just went to the store and bought some very small bobbers and am going to try it out tomorrow.

I searched the library and no one seemed to fish with just the old carolina rig. I guess with a plastic worm it floats it's self off the bottom.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Jim

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Crappie floats seem to work well. They're small, and easy to take an 8/0 hook and poke through to slip a line though. Put them where you want them and put a stop in it and go fishing.

9. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ??? :confused2:

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    If I haven't been fishing an area in a while, I will set out rods with half of them with corks. If a cork rod seems to be producing, I will change to all corks.
    I will also fish with a cork if the bottom is really muddy or silted. If the catfish seem to have a lot of mud on them, I will use a cork about 4 inches above the hook. That seems to put the bait/shad right in their face.
    hope this helps