Do you trout fish also?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jsthumb, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First off let me say that I love this site. It is very informative and even though I have been catfishing since I was a little kid I have learned a lot just browsing this site.
    I have looked through a lot of the bait section and cant say I have seen anyone metion one of my favorite catfish baits...Trout heads. I do some trout fishing too and when I clean them and get them ready to eat I put all the heads in a zip-lock bag and freeze them. Makes for a great catfish bait as it will stay on the hook for a long time and seems to attract the larger cats around.
    I had a friend that owned a piece of property that had 3 ponds on them that used to be a pay lake, which had been closed down for several years and he turned me onto the trout heads as a bait. We could catch several 20-40 lbs cats on a single head on a good night.
    Just thought anyone that trout fishes also might want to think about giving it a try. Has worked very well for me over the last few years.

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I never really thought of that. I haven't been out by hwy 11 lately but I would imagine there isn't much water around yet. Thanks for the idea.

3. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Trout is filegt mignon to catfish. I have caught many of fish on trout even fish them alive dead it just doesnt matter eventually something will hit it.

4. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just makes for a nice by-product of trout fishing. My buddy used to go up to Brevard to the Trout farm and they used to give them to him (its one of those places that will clean your trout for you and they needed some place to get rid of the heads) but they figured out they could start charging for them because several people where going up there to get them, but I would much rather eat some trout and use the head for some cats for a dinner later on.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Oh yeah i use them for catfishing.Ive caught several nice ones on just the heads alone,they work very well.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I can hardly keep my Pennsylvania stocked trout alive in my baitbucket. I do use cut trout. Flatheads and channels love it. Something about the meat of trout that makes catfish go crazy.

Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I too am part of the trout head fraternity:wink:

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I trout fish all winter so thanks for the tip Ill try it out.:wink:

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason!! I never thought of using trout heads for bait, thanks for the tip ill give it a try!!

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I regularly fish stocked trout streams. Never crossed my mind to use their heads. Have you used them frozen or do they need to be fresh? Now I got an excuse to go fishing for trout again, with the cats. Scenario: Honey, I am going trout fishing. OK dear, when will you be home? About dark. And Honey when I get home about dark, I am going to go catfishing the rest of the night. BANG, she missed, I am on my way.

11. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    This is the first year I have tried trout fishing with my mom. The people that my mom fishes with actually use the trout heads as striper bait. Never thought about the heads as catfish bait though.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Fishing in the fall with the leaves turning and being in those mountain streams is a great time off year...I cant wait.

13. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    postbettle
    I have tried them fresh a couple of times, but mostly frozen. Doesn't seem to really make a difference either way.

14. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Unfortunatley postbettle my old lady wouldnt miss if I tried that. Ill keep praying yours has bad aim for your sake...lol