Do you think this is a good reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 6, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Not a bad reel but, I wouldn't go monster hunting with it. It should be fine for fish up to about 15 are so pounds. Just my opinion.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'm finding out real quick you get what you pay for.

4. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I don't think that reel is near big enough if you plan on going surf fishing with it. The cost is also something that would catch my attention.

Wheelmobile07

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Don't waste your hard earned money Lil'Brother!!!

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a model 2560 Alpha on a 8ft Garcia Kingfisher. The handle is reversable, rated for saltwater, handles ok. But I haven't got a biggen on it yet. If I hadn't been able to reverse the handle for right hand cranking I wouldn't even use it. The spinning thing underhand, is really awky for me.
    Never got used to it or liked it. But had the rod from my dad. He had an old Penn Peerless no. 9 mounted on it, wasn't sure it was such a good combo as the rod was obvious for spinning reel....it drags in eating size channels ok from the profane lake. And cast well with just a 1oz. sinker, as compared to a 3oz. minimum on the Penn.
    :smile2:

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have to agree with the others on this post. Its not much of a reel and probably wouldn't hold up very long to hard use.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It would not be no fun if you get the cat of your dreams hooked only to have em rip the gears out of your reel. A big fish takes a well built reel. I tried to save some money once on my first bait caster with a clicker and got a cheap Shakespeare SKP2000S it worked OK on dinks but first fish in the teens and I couldn't reel it in. The reel acted like it was all bound up...lost the fish. Took the reel apart and all looked good, would reel nice so I tried it again with the same results. Now the reel sits next to me here at the PC as my paper weight. Go with known tested and proven reels and you will not be sorry.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Looks like a piece of China junk to me! I would not buy it!

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have a couple of 2560's and a 2560P. The are Wal-Mart specials for around $20. I haven't had a problem with mine with fish in the 15-20 pound range. Haven't hooked into anything bigger on them yet. They will work fine for Channels.

11. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    not worth even messin with. go on ebay and type in mitchell 306x and check it out i use the older 306s and luv them.:smile2:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would pass on that reel, its not worth fooling with.

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I'm not a Shakespeare man, mostly ABU, Shimano, and PENN reels....But if your budget limits your choice....by all means go for it, realize the limits of your tackle and enjoy it.....Hey you may surprise yourself and make a hugh haul with it, make sure ya post some pic's.....

14. TerryStucker

TerryStucker New Member

State:
    In.

I found a Abu 6500 at a yard sale. It was on an old rod with the tip
    broke off. The Lady having the sale, had about twenty old rod and
    reels. Most Zebco 202's and some 33's. Your pick $ 7.00 each.
    I grabed the 6500 and two 33's for $ 21.00.​
    Anytime you see any fishing poles at a yard sale, it's worth a quick look.​

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I agree, my friend had one-it is junk!

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That Penn must not be cleaned,oiled and tuned right.That old fellow is one nice piece of equipment if it is in shape to fish.It also might have too heavy a line when you were using it.With 15-17lb line I can cast 1/2oz. baits with the old Penn's.A lot of use them on spinning rods.
    Jake

17. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Any reel that comes pre spooled should also be sold with a red flag attached.

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i think it should work alright.just remeber not to horse the fish in.looks like it would be ok for carp to.i seen a shakespeare with the baitrunner option i would not mind havin,and i hardly use spinning reels.

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Like most , I wouldnt waste my money on it. You get what you pay for. I would suggest a Shimano Baitrunner if you need a spinning reel or Abu Garcia or Penn if you want a Baitcaster reel.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Forget that spinning reel. Once you toss a baitcaster like an ABU 6500 or 7000 you'll wonder why they even make spinning reels.