Do you think of yourself as a panfish angler?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by FlatGetter, May 29, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love going to catch my bait. I think its fun. i have an ultralight uglystik and its a blast. I catch probably catch atleast 800 panfish a year (mostly bluegills). So i consider myself as a panfish angler.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I grew up catching bluegil and sunfish, so yeah I guess I am a part-time panfisherman!

Aaron

TA2D

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    panfish angler=baitcatcher=catfishermen....lol

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nothing wrong with fishing for panfish. I fish for them for bait, food, and quite often for fun. I love going out and trying to find a trophy crappie or bluegill, or going after some good eaters and getting a mess, or fishing for some on the smaller side to use as bait. But fishing is fishing to me.:big_smile:

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Just a part of catfishing to me!

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Definately .....gotta have bait dont we ?:smile2:

7. dgmo.boy

dgmo.boy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish rivers where it is hard to catch shad and the don't live long. If you want bait for catfish you have to be able to catch panfish under most conditions!I like black perch the best.

8. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I definelt think of myself as a panfisherman, I mean stink bait and crawlers are fun to use but whats the point in catfishing without the live/cut bait?

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

That's where my addiction first started. :big_smile:
    I absolutely love panfishing, especially with ultralight tackle.

SudDawg

10. Absolutely a pan fisherman here. By definition a panfish is a fish suitable for the the frying pan. I fish not only because I enjoy the time on the water and the tug on the line but because fish are so tasty as well. Catfish, crappie and bream in that order are my favorites to eat so call me a sorry old panfisherman if you will but at least I know how to eat good LOL.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am a panfish fisherman! I enjoy the sport just as much as catfishing. A plus is that perch are on the list of the least mercury and are very tasty! I have also caught a few nice cats, while fishing for panfish and is a blast on light tackel!

12. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Started off pan fishing when i was a kid,and still love it.

13. One thing I've noticed is that channels tend to hang out around the bream beds. I don't know if they're after the bream the roe or the fry but they're there. I usually toss a bigger rod off to the deep side of a bed baited up for these channels. More often than not though I catch them on the bream rod. You right not much better than pulling in a feisty channel on light tackle.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    when I was growing up in Ohio, we fished for crappie all the time on light gear. Crappies are a rarity here in southern Az though. At least as far as I can tell.

15. I would say when it comes to brightening my day after a bad day of fishing I can always rely on panfish. Nothing like using an ultralite to catch a fish that weights in ounces instead of pounds.

16. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I don't care if I'm catching a 20lb. carp or a 1/4lb. bluegill, If I can be outside on a beautiful day and get my line wet, I'm satisfied.:smile2:

17. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    in order to be anykind of fishing angler you have to be a bluegill angler. because thats where everyone starts. right or wrong.

18. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Im a panfisherman first, but I fish for what ever is biting at the time. I fish for pan fish 75% of the time. The rest is divided up between trout, catfish and bass. We have really good trout fishing, but I much prefer eating the panfish.....

19. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya when i get bored i will put on a lil 12 hook with a lil piece of worm on it and catch some lil perch for catfish bait yea!!!!!! so I guess I will let the perch tire itself out even though they only swim about 3ft out where i cant see them then they just sit there.

20. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I consider "fiddlers" panfish, so yeah, I guess I am a panfisher... If something don't break soon, I reckon I'll always be one.:lol: