do you think hook sizes effect longevity of live bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by hook'em, Nov 3, 2009.

1. hook'em

hook'em New Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    I'm curious as to what you all think about using larger & heavier hooks with live bait and if it affects the liveliness and lifespan of the bait. I just ordered some 14/0 Eagle Claw stainless steel circle sea kirbed hooks and they are quite a bit heavier than I anticipated. I am fine with the size of the hook and the gap distance, what concerns me is the thickness of the shank and the weight. I think it might be too much for 3-5" live bait. I'm considering returning them for some 13/0 mustad circle hooks. The diameter of the shank is much smaller and they shouldn't be near as heavy.

I also wasn't very pleased with the sharpness of these hooks. I normally touch them up anyway, but out of the box they wouldn't even catch on a fingernail.

hook'em

2. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    is I think that does matter,In salt water they use a bait needle on attach the bait with fine wire to hook to keep bait more lively.smaller hole in bait should not hert bait so bad and keep it alive longer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the bigger the hole the quicker they bleed out. i dont mind when im useing whole shad. cuz they are gonna die shortly anyways and they bleed out more triggering a quicker bite. but yeah the bigger the hook the better the chance of hitting something that will kill the bait quicker. not to mention try this experiment on urself.....take a needle. stab ur self. then take a butcher knife. stab urself. when you get out of the ER tell me which one hurt more and had the better chance of killing you

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes hook size has a impact on how a bait acts and how long it lives.

5. hook'em

hook'em New Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Welder, thanks for the PM. I'll look into those hooks!:wink:

hook'em

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    On the smaller baits yes the hook size does matter only if the bait is not properly set.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    To an extent, I think hook size matters, but how and where you hook the bait matters more, I believe. I've used some pretty good sized hooks before and had good results, and I've used smaller hooks and have had dead bait within a 5 or 10 minutes..

8. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    I've never been real good with science and experiments and stuff. I guess I'll have to leave this experiment to the smarter folks.:eek:oooh:

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i think a 14/0 hook is too large for 3 to 5 inche bream.i've had some 14/0eagle claw sea circles an they are thick.it would be 'bout like impelling a broom stick into a small bait.

10. hook'em

hook'em New Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    that is pretty much what I deduced when I open up the box. Even the smaller 12/0 I think are going to be to thick and heavy. I like the gama's, but I'm buying around 100 hooks and I'm not paying retail for them. Everywhere I've checked they want you to buy 1000 or more to get a wholesale discount.

hook'em

11. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    In my opinion those hooks are definaty over-kill for 3-5 in live bait, but awsome for say, 1/2 lb carp for giant flatheads. small carp stay alive forever on a hook.

12. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Roland,

Look into the King Kahle hooks, they have a very wide gap, I started using 8/0, they are nice because they have some elements of the octo/cirlce, but you can also set the hooks wen the bite is light. You can these in 8/0, 9/0 and 10/0, i chose the 8/0 becasue the smaller the hook the sharper the point, and 8/0 hooks are big enough to brign in any size cat.

Catfish connection has these at a pretty reasonable price for boxes of 50.