Do you support a regulatory catfish slot limit in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flathead22, Dec 28, 2005.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I forgot to mention-but what are the current catfish limits in other states? I really would like to see SC propose a catfish limit in each of the three major catfish species (plus white catfish and bullheads). If you agree, holla at me by posting your response!! I would love to hear anyone's point of view, so feel free to respond to this thread! I have considered writing the governor of SC asking him to consider proposing a catfish limit, but I need to have a petition of some sort. So, again, please feel free to respond to this thread and maybe we can enjoy better conservation in the future. By the way, I really feel that only one giant (over 50lbs) should be allowed per boat per day...We really need to leave the giants to their abodes..They are 20 years or more and don't deserve the insult of being hauled around in the back of a pickup truck being stared at and gawked at by a bunch of people while they are gasping for their last breaths of oxygen!!!!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive thought about this off and on for a while. Easiest way would be like Tenessee does, only one fish per person per day over 34". No limit on fish under 34". I dont think this is the best way, but it would be a very easy and good first step.

From looking on other dnr pages i think this is right.Now of course there are certain bodies of water in each state that may have size and catch limits, etc.

Alabama - no limit
    Arkansas - 10 per day combined flat, channel, blue - no size limit
    Florida - no limit
    Georgia - no limit
    Lousiana - 100 (dosnt say daily so maybe in a year I dunno) min 11" channel, 12" blue, 14" flat
    Mississippi - 10 Channel catfish (in state fishing lakes), no size limit
    North Carolina - no limit
    Virginia - 20 per day

3. Knockingbottom

Knockingbottom New Member

State:
    Manning, SC
    I really wish they could change the way trotlines are done. You can have
    2000 hooks and 50 traps if you pay the 50 dollars for the commercial license.
    Think how many pounds of catfish that could add up to in a year if you work
    them hard. It's worth a lot more than $50. I agree with the size limit, 1 a day
    over 34".

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I also forgot to mention that I read somewhere, i think the charleston paper, that the governor was considering a limit on catfish. I think it had something to do with him choosing to raise redfish limit or implement a limit on cats and that there would only be enough money for one or the other. Was back in the summer, Ill try and find a link to the story.

5. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    You are absolutely right! I had never thought about that! If the average catfish is five pounds on a two thousand hook trotline, that is ten thousand pounds of catfish!!! AND, if a commercial fisherman is working them hard, he will fill that two thousand hook line several times during the course of a year!!!! To pay only $50 for several tons of catfish meat sounds cruel, doesn't it!!?? I already can tell you that the catfishing is not as good as it was years ago, and, at this rate, there will be no giants out there in twenty years cause a lot of fishermen keep all the big ones they catch a day...and there are a lot of them who catch 10 or more cats over 30 or 40lbs in a day! In twenty years, a true giant is going to be barely over 20lbs!!!! :cursing: I think a letter needs to be written to our congressman, and things need to start changing in our conservation measures!! There are limits on almost every other kind of fish in our waters...Bass, Smasss, I'd rather catfish any day than fish for bass!!!! :D :D :D :D

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I hope you get the support you need to get regulations in place..We need them pracically everywhere!

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Bro I've been running this rabbit for a couple years.I'd like to see the same laws pasted here in S.C.as in Tenn.They've incorparated it in a law thats still tried up in congress down on santee that if passed will be the same on santee as in Tenn.the 34" law,........I've also ran the noolding rabbit .It's gonna take large numbers of fishermen to come together to get such a size limit or creel limit passed.I've called my congressman,local DNR and alot of other people who honestly don't care for the fish.Alot of the people I've talked to don't have a clue as in what a flathead catfish is.Some of the DNR people have made some sense but most are comfortable with things like they are,......If you're truely concerned you need to press the issue.It's harder to do than alot of people think.. I know you're new to the board but I've posted several post concerning this topic.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Limit, On limit this is really no problem for me.I Put 99% of mine back any way The only ones that I keep if my fishing partner wants some to eat. :D

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Here in Kansas the state wide limit for channels and blues is 10 in any combination and 5 flathead per day. But on many of the lakes a special regulation exists that will vary from lake to lake.

one of the lakes I fish has a 2 channels per day limit and they have to fall into a slot of 18"-24" anything above or below the slot has to be released. The slot limit seems to be working well, I catch several 10lb+ channels every season from this lake and have for several years. If not for the slot limit I think this lake would be fished out By now. it gets moderatly heavy fishing pressure.

10. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I agree that we should have regulations. Some people will follow them, and some won't. Fishing/Hunting regulations are alot like the speed limit. Sure its the law, some people follow it and some don't (FISHING REGULATIONS ARE LAW). However, do those signs really deter some people. In Iowa, catfish are a gamefish. They are regulated in both size and number. I beleive those that follow regulations, are those same people that would throw back some anyway. Regulations, really don't mean much and some people will not follow them. (for example, my uncle was caught poaching a deer a few months ago, and I highly doubt he follows any fishing regulations and at the local lake the asian community typically poaches small bass; however, they don't speak much english and I don't think they know it is regulated) However, regulations are good because those who step over the line can be prosecuted. My uncle was fined and will have to go to court. He may lose his hunting license, as he should (will he still hunt deer?). If he continues poaching he may lose his car, house, or even freedom accorrding to Iowa law. POACHERS ARE CRIMINALS. Some people may obey these regulations because they are law. They don't want to be criminals, they don't want to be fined. However, this debate is a lot like the capital punishment debate. Does punishments, death penalty, fishing regulations penalties deter criminals? I don't know! I just know that regulations deter me because I want a career in conservation/DNR and that I cannot have said career if I am ever fined and found guilty of poaching, so I have to really know and follow the rules carefully. However, I do know that if they are caught they are fined. These fines return to conservation to better conserve the species - in this way REGULATIONS ARE GREAT.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would support it.

It can be done, but it will take an organized effort and the support of the SCDNR to make it happen. If the people are for it, and there is sound biological reasoning behind it, the SCDNR can make it happen.

There is a buck limit under consideration in SC, and that is all because a group of hunters proposed it the the SCDNR. The SCDNR is in support of it, and now they are trying to get the support of the hunters.

I am probably like a lot of guys here. I throw 99% of the catfish I catch back. Every so often my mom wants some to cook and I will bring her home six or seven, but literally hundreds are thrown back out of my boat each year. I am more into it for the sport, the fun, how big is the next one!

To my knowledge, the catfish is the biggest freshwater fish in SC. I don't know of any other fish that is bigger in freshwater.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I know that this can be a very sensitive subject, but I believe that sensible limits are necessary in order to ensure for a viable fishery for our children and grandchildren. I also believe that true sportsmen would not object to sensible limits.

13. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ron I agree that there will always be people who are going to keep illegal fish, but any limit set will certainly help. Id like to think most fishermen follow the limits, but who knows.

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    If any lake in the US needs catfish limits its santee cooper. If you go to these guide websites for santee all you see is fish nailed to posts or walls. Thats plain sick. How many guys guide on santee anyways. They are just plain ole raping the waters out there and then combined with the commercial guys, I don't see how there are many fish swimming out there. So a definite yes to the limits on santee, it needs it bad. Those lakes were booming back in the late 80's early 90's and now things are kinda tapering off, it don't seem like its nearly as productive.

15. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I agree again my freind,I used to be one of those who went to Santee and thought I had to keep everything I caught.No longer.Now when I go down to fish I keep enough for a shore luch one night and the rest are released.The bite gets slower every year.Alot of the locals don't think the lakes are in trouble though.I know Jim and Tommy are down that way and see and hear more than myself .I can't really say ,I can only speak for Joey,but to me it seems things have changed in the past few years.I guess this could be a re touchy subject ,but I really hope they do past a size regulation.Not only for the Santee lakes but for all of South Carolina. :D

16. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Mudhole, I feel for you guys down there, You have a real goldmine but take all the gold and you have a dull looking mine left. :eek: Something needs to happen here in the state of Ky also. It might make some people mad but its for the best of the catfish.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My input concerns primarily the Santee Cooper lakes. I don't have enough information about the other large lakes in the state. Most rivers, though, have plenty of fish, from my experience. The problem we have is primarily, I think, in the lakes around the state.
    I've thought about this subject for quite a while, now, and I think without a doubt that there needs to be some regulation put in place, especially on the larger fish. There are a lot of smaller fish around in the Santee Cooper lakes, but the really big fish seem to be getting fewer, although there are still quite a few taken.
    A lot of the discussion I've heard has centered around Blues & Flatheads, but the larger Channels need to be included. You don't seem to hear much about large channels being caught anymore.
    Any new laws have to be considered carefully. After all, a lot of income into the economy around the lakes is from fishermen from all over the country, many of whom come down hoping to catch a trophy cat, but also to carry back home a lot of filets to put in the freezer. Overly severe creel limits might deter some from coming, and that would be a hardship on the folks who run businesses here.
    Another sore spot is commercial fishing. That is the concern of a lot of people, because apparently some of the largest fish are being taken and sold out of state, kind of like private breeding stock, or as trophies, at least from what I hear. The commercial trotliners have a stake in this fishery, too, so new laws have to be fair to those trying to make a living at it, whether I like it or not.
    Recreational trotlines are another issue. Personally I would like to see them outlawed, or at least more restricted, in the lakes, but that's only my opinion. There are lots of people, I know, who love to put out trotlines in order to easily fill their freezers. I enjoy fishing them myself in the river at home about 2 nights out of the year, haven't done it in a couple of years now, tho. My concern is that I find too many lines that are left unattended, abandoned, illegally set, etc. I don't know about traps, because I don't see anyone fishing them much, and I suspect most of the fish caught in them are smaller, rather than large.
    Enforcement of any new laws will be mostly left up to ethical sportsmen, as it is now. There just aren't enough DNR officers to go around, but I think the public will, for the most part, follow the law.
    There is still some discussion in Columbia about regulations, but I haven't heard anything new lately. I'm hoping it will come up during the next legislative session, soon to begin.

18. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Tommy I agree with all you said,but I can only see where in the long run a size or creel limit would improve the fishing for all.If there isn't something done,the lakes ,the county's of the lakes and the state will suffer in the long haul.I'd like to see something pass everyone could agree with.I come down that way 2-3 times a year and it's got to the point I may start looking for new tropyh waters.I starting to ponder the ideas of Lake wheeler, The Tenn.,River ,The Cumberland and places like this.The Altamaha has always been in my mind but I hate not coming to Santee,because I know it's very likely someone will catch a lake monster there one day soon.

I look at the fishing industry like a mill,or plant,if it can meet the demand it will close.Fewer fish,fewer fishermen, fewer guides,fewer busniess,fewer jobs and etc.to be successfull you've got to have a good management program.

I know it will all work out. :D

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I hope I didn't come across like I am against regulation, because I'm not. Like you, I think something needs to be done real soon. Right now the pending legislation applies only to blue cats over 34 inches, and only to Lakes Marion & Moultrie, but maybe it needs to be broader; I'm not qualified to answer that.
    Here's a link to the SC Statehouse progress on this bill, seems to be in limbo at the moment:

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/web_bh10.exe

There are lots of blues being caught in the under 30# class, 40# is pretty common, but I don't hear of too many 50's and above being caught. Of course I'm only speaking of what I know, read, or hear. I know there are lots of fish caught that I'm not aware of. It would be nice if the DNR could do creel surveys and track the information for all species of cats. Maybe they do to some degree now, but if so, I'm not aware of it.

20. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC