Do you skin your catfish before you fillet it...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by festus, Nov 2, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

....or do you just fillet it as any normal fish, and cut the skin off as finishing touches on scaley fish?

I kept a few eater size channels tonight, and was in a hurry to get it done and shower and get ready for tomorrow. Before tonight, I had always killed the fish, nailed it to a street light pole, made some incisions, skinned it completely, then filleted. Tonight I thought I'd try something different, I just cut off their dorsal fins, anal fin, and pectoral fins, filleted it as any other fish, turned it over, cut the skin from the tail forward, and it worked great. It sure saved a lot of time. The only problem I may have lost just a fraction of meat by not skinning first, maybe a1/16 of an inch.

So, is there any point in skinning a fish before filleting? I don't think it's worth the extra effort.

2. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i always do, due to the fact i dont have any good knives to take the skin off the meat. but i see how i works and i think it is just the preference of the person!

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I do it both ways. I use an electric knife to fillet with, so it get close to the skin. My Mom and sister like their catfish with the bone in so I skin the ones going to them. I think I will start skinning most of them because I cut the tail off to bleed them.

4. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    i personally think that is the best and quickest way to do so but just like the other man said you have to have a good knife

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Do you skin them before or after you CPR? :angry:

6. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I skin first then fillet. To me its just as easy. After I let em swim in buttermilk over night, I FIO ( fry in oil)

7. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I use the mister twister brand electric knife and fillet them without skinning. I will CPR fish, the last 4-5 trips i haven't kept any fish, didn't need them. However I will on occasion keep enough for a church fish fry, or the hunting club fish fry, or just to cook a bunch for friends and family. Have a nice day everyone.

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I do it exactly like your experiment and it has always worked just fine for me. I do anything I fillet the same way. just an extra stroke and no skin. I hate skin on any fish. Actually that's the way I learned to clean fish and never questioned doing it any other way. I DO try to keep my knife SUPER sharp. Especially if I'm doing dozens of Gills or Crappie. I hardly ever do a cat unless I just want one that fits nicely on a dinner plate. Probably not over a pound or two.

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I cut the fat fin on top, and make a slit from top of the head to the tail. I cut around the head from one side to the other. I pull the skin off and then cut along the back bone from head to tail down to the ribs. I get the knife between the skin and bones and separate the bones from the meat. Then I do the other side. When I'm done there ain't no bones in it, and its one piece of meat from front to back. Sometimes the belly meat will come off, and I got 2 more pieces. I get the silver skin off the belly meat and put it in a bowl of water then into the refrigerator. The guts usually stay with the skeleton, and its all just one piece of head guts and tail. It takes a little longer but there are not bones to surprise me when I eat em. I found its easier to skin em first. I use a skinning pliers.

10. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i thought about doin it like you said once, but im used to skinnin it out, then filletin it. i got it down to like 2 min a fish from whole to fillet. never had any bones in em, i cut real close around the rib cage. i used to clean em first, but i found out its just time consumin. when i do, its because i wanna see whats in the tummy. i get em lookin beautiful for a plate.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/mactheaxe/after.jpg

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have always skinned them then fillet them . Just the way I have always done it . Why change now I guess . 10 pounders and under go pretty quick .

12. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the replys, I see everyone has preferences. Usually I don't keep over a dozen catfish a year, hardly ever one over 5 pounds. Catfish are more of a sport for me, if I want meat I usually catch sauger, bluegill, yellow bass, yellow perch, or crappie.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  13. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:,That's a good question !!:confused2:

14. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I've always skinned the bottom fish. Cod etc.
    Although I've only recently been catching Cats.
    With the small Cats I skin them and she Deep fry's them whole.
    The big ones I skin, fillet, chop up the fillet's and we deep fry the pieces.
    In reality, after I catch something, I do what I'm told to do with it.

15. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Since i got the electric knife for filleting, i fillet and then skin. Before i went electric i skinned, then fillet.

16. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I work for a power company, and you really shouldn't let anything food related touch utility poles as they have some nasty chemicals in them. The paperwork that comes with them basically says to avoid skin contact, so i definately wouldn't want it touching my food. Just a thought

17. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    CPR

Catch,,
    Prepair,
    Release in to HOT Oil
    :wink:
    Fish are a sport...:big_smile:,And a food sorce...:crazy:
    Let the big ones go...
    Puddle

18. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    I clip the spines off with a pliers or tin snip so the fish lays flat on its side, then fillet and skin the fillet like any other fish. soak the fillet in milk and frank's hot sauce, roll in yellow corn meal w/ a little chili powder, salt, pepper, and rotissary (sp) chicken seasoning, and fry in oil. Now thats what i'm talkin' about.

19. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I used to skin all the catfish I kept for eating.Now I fillet them and cut the skin off.I only keep the small ones for a couple of family fish fry's.Some relatives like crappie and some like the cats but only if the skin is cut off.

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Most of the fish that I keep I fillet the fish out.... I cut down the backbone at the head and then down around the ribs to the belly. Then ater the stomach cavity, I place the fillet knife all the way thru, and then slice all the way to the tail... flip the fish around and a little more work at the mid section and then its in one piece.... flip the skin side down and fillet the skin off on a good flat surface... Then its the next side of the fish.....Cold icy water to bleed the fish....

Bayrunner Ray