Do you shapen your hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by oahegw, Aug 12, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I,m fussy about hook sharpness. I think Gamma are the sharpest hook sold that I've tried so far.

Do you sharpen your hooks or just replace them? I don't know how a person could get a hook as sharp as a new GAmma. They stay sharp and I think I'll just replace a dull gamma with a new one when that time comes.

If you sharpen hooks, what do you use .... a good stone, a ceramic tool or what?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Unless i get snagged and accidentally lose them i'll just get a leather belt or wood and sharpen them up.:smile2::wink: Works great for me!

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Generally no, I check them when snelling and while fishing. If the get dull I just put on a new one. It may be a good idea to save those and resharpen at a later time though?

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    nope when one gets dull i replace it and toss the old one. Usually i get snagged and loss hooks before they get dull:big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I also snell mine now .i check them when i snell them then just change them when they get dull ,or just lose the whole rig :wink::smile2:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I agree w/ Mike,,, I lose more than I get dull,,,,,,
    However, occasionally, I'll touch one up. If needed,,

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a cool little stone that has a groove in it especially for hooks. The guy that comes around where I work that sharpens our saw blades gave it to me.

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I nearly always sharpen my hooks. I use small file and sometimes finish with small stone. the only time I don't sharpen is I've been to busy to sharpen hooks.My hookup rate is always better with sharpened.

10. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Nothin like a scary sharp hook.

11. flatheadhuntin

flatheadhuntin New Member

State:
    Glen Rose,Texas
    I carry a couple of small smooth mill files in my tackle back pack. Before the hooks get thrown out I check to make sure they catch on my nail, if not they go to the file!!!!!!!

12. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I personally sharpen EVERY hook right out of the package. I mostly use gamma's. I have a small stone I keep in my tackle probably 3/4" wide 1/2" thick and about 5" long. I just kinda put my finger-tip on the tip of the hook and apply light pressure and drag it down several times. Trying to keep the angle true to the factory point. I do this on each side and down the front. A little test I use is take a fresh gamma outta the pack and slide the point across your fingernail applying NO pressure, now do the above and try it again. MAJOR difference. A guy showed me this once and told me I would would miss alot less fish by doing this alone, I thought he was full of crap myself, but said what the heck and gave it a try. I have been sharpening brand new hooks ever since, hooks I always considered very sharp in the first place. Try it out whats to loose, it's sure got me hooked...lol :wink::smile2:

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those Gamas and Sickles from Wild Wolf are pretty damn sharp, no need to sharpen them for me. I been useing the thumbnail test for quit awhile, thats how I judge them.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I check my hooks, if they dont' catch on a thumbnail I sharpen them. I got a hook sharpener that I keep in my tackle box. Usually I lose em before I need to sharpen em.

15. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Everyone that used Gama's go to bass pro,cabelas whereever you can go get your normal Gama and get an Owner SSW of the same shape and size check those out they make Gama's look dull. The owners are acid sharpened making them nuts sharp. I have never heard of anyone having to sharpen one of those hooks.

16. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Don't keep them long enuff to get dull lol.