Do you seal your primers?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bootshowl, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I do on the loads for my carry guns. But the rounds I've been putting in storage, I've not been taking the time. I've pulled out rounds from 10 years ago, and can't tell a difference at the range. They seem fine. It's the one part of the process that's just tedious for me, and I dodge it. Wish someone made a product that was like a felt tip marker, instead of the fingernail polish brush....I end up coating the whole case head. Slop my dripper so ta speak.
    :roll_eyes:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Boots,I havent done that since I quit reloading my gooseloads when they made the switch to steel. I found that over time that finger pain will get old,its cheap so if it aint going on thin,chunk it and steal another from the ole lady .:wink:

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    the only time i do it is to get one more reload, to hold the primer in a loose pocket.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My reloads usually don't last long enough to worry about it.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I did a lot of research on it when I started and never found anything that said that it was actually proven to be needed. I read where one gun writer put 6 loads each way in a bucket of oil and a bucket of water and after 2 weeks in water all but one unsealed fired and in oil all bot one sealed one fired. The whole idea is to keep moisture out but to me unless you are going to seal around the bullet to it would not work. I have never done it and have not had a single issue.