do you reuse your hooks?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 9, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I throw the hooks I have on my line away after each trip...I use circles and I fish sandy bottoms and dragging them across the bottom dulls the point.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    with the cost of hooks yes i reuse theam i also use c hooks and khals it dont take but just a minit to sharpen a hook :eek:oooh:

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so long as they 'aint rusty i still use them. start saving those hooks, i will give you my address and send them to me! :wink:

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i always resharpen mine

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I change out my hooks after a nice cat runs me into timber/rocks and after every trip . What I do is throw them into a can at the house . Once a month I take the can and go through it all . I re-open split shots, inspect swivels , and sharpen up the used hooks . I next make up new leaders using the old stuff first .

My hooks don't rust and a few swipes on a stone make her as good as new . Everything I can do to save money, without compromising on quality...I do.

-Jim-

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    OK, here we go again. If you use Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles, they STAY sharp, and do NOT rust quickly. I retrieved one (when the river dropped) that I had hung up a month previously, and it was still NOT rusted, ANY. Since I started using these hooks, I have not had the need to change or sharpen hooks. These hooks totally UN-complicate hook issues.
    Bill in SC

7. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've always reused my hooks for I don't know how long. I do replace them when it seems needed!

8. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Bill, I totally agree but ya gotta understand that some of us simply can not afford high dollar hooks . I do invest my free time in sharpening old hooks but that's because I have the time to do so ; )

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    JJ, I think FEW, fish on a tighter budget than I do. I buy 25 of the Gamakatsu 8.0 octopus circles for $12 and change. The only time they get replaced is when they get hung up and lost. They are surely NOT what you would call TOO pricey, and their benefits FAR outweigh their price, just as the braided Power Pro line does.
    Bill in SC

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I reuse my hooks! I can not afford to buy new ones everytime. Additionally, nature has a way of taking my hooks when they are getting old......................and sometimes when they are new. I feel that I lose enough to snags that they get rotated thru with no issues.

If I am fishing a tournament then I begin each day with brand new tackle.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I feel that I lose enough to snags that they get rotated thru with no issues..>

There ya go. :smile2:

BB in SC

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you are right bro... I use gamus also and they stay sharp! If i run one into some rocks, then i have changed them out, but they are an awesome hook and usually can get many trips out of the same hook.. However, i do retie everything before each trip...rollo

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bill and Rollo I agree with both of you. them hooks last a long time and all that is needed is to retie

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I change line between every trip i make fishing. As for the hooks, i too use gamas and inspect them before use. If one feels dull i change it otherwise i keep the same hook on. Swivels are usually good for one trip or a snag forces me to get a new one.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bill you are totally wrong, i use 8/0 gama circles and after draging them across sandy river bottom a few times the point gets dull, no they dont rust but the point does dull.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I give the dull ones to other fishermen. :tounge_out:

17. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Regardless of how good and sharp Gama's are ,the bottom line is that I never lose a hook either . The only difference between Gama and my brand is that the Gama's have a slightly thinner wire and are suppose to stay sharper longer .

I buy 50 hooks for around $8...thats a huge savings compared to Gama . My hooks do not bend or rust . If I lose a hook its because of a line issue not the hook.

I would never sacrifice quality for saving money . So far I've done extremely well with what I use and will continue to do so . It seems that Gama users here admit they also sharpen hooks....same as I do ; )

If I could afford Gama's maybe I would buy them but for now I would stand toe to toe with anyone using my hooks .

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jack i agree thear has never ben a hook made that wont get dull i am not trying to sound like a a$$ but the truth is the truth

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Swivels are usually good for one trip or a snag forces me to get a new one.>

This is a VERY GOOD point, and one that MOST people overlook. If I have to break off a line, even if the swivel is intact, I still change it as it has certainly been stressed.

<Bill you are totally wrong, i use 8/0 gama circles and after draging them across sandy river bottom a few times the point gets dull, no they dont rust but the point does dull.>

I guess with each post, we should specify our fishin' conditions. In the Great Pee Dee where I fish most, the bottom can be anything from sand to mud to gravelly. We don't drift or drag bait across this river's bottom because you wouldn't drag but about a foot or two and you would be hung on a snag. I fish with a cork about 6 inches above my bait to float my bait off the bottom. Also, when I reel in, I pick the weight up off the bottom gently to see if it is hung. If not I hold my rod high and reel as rapidly as possible to keep the hook up over obstructions. My hook RARELY touches the bottom for long. In MY conditions, my hooks will get lost in snags LONG before they dull. Also, the Gamakatsu octopus circle's design with the barb pointed inward, should also protect the point when dragging in sand. I don't know what these hooks are made of, but it is an unusually hard metal. I have watched my hooks closely since I started using them, and have yet to see one damaged or dull, in the least little bit. I'm certainly a big enough man to admit when I am wrong, but I'm not wrong describing these hooks in MY conditions. YOUR conditions may warrant different results, and objects in your mirror are closer than they appear. Keep in mind, these are not the lazer cut "super sharp" hooks to begin with. The key to their success is in the design of the hook itself.
    What brand of hooks do you use JJ?
    Bill in SC

20. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Well Bill I avoided the name brand because it would prolly just start more varying opinions but I will admit that I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharps , from 6/0 and up . I might be wrong but as far as I know Eagle Claw is the company that originally started , " circle hooks "..... I could be wrong .

It's not that I'm all for "team Eagle Claw " or anything , LOL , but I simply cant argue my success with them is all . I will also admit I've slightly bent 3/0's but like you I use braid, P-Pro , and I would have to assume most any brand hook in a small hook size will only withstand so much pressure and bend .....that will depend on line strength.

If you already use Gama's I would keep on using them, they are better made , hands down . But on the other hand they will not actually catch you more fish, maybe boost your confidence but that's always a good thing.

I also fish with a bobber 4 inches up from my bait a lot but I also drift in heavy timber . In fact I drift where most people wont ...I just cant help myself, LOL .
    I guess I don't have one method of fishing because I have to change areas and conditions very often or I wouldn't catch much here .

-Jim-