Do you replace the line on your new reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by messemore, Aug 16, 2009.

Do you change your lline before using a new reel?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. messemore

messemore New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just purchased a new Okuma AV 300L. The first thing I did was replace the line. I was wondering am I the only one the replaces the line on new reels before you use them?

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I never bought a reel (withe the exception of the spincast job for my daughter) that came with line on it.

But if I did, I would definately change the line unless it was clearly marked what was on it (ex: Trilene 17# XL).

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Same here. Ain't never bought a reel with line on it but, I would put on some line I'm familiar with.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I haven't bought any reels that have line on them however i would def replace it if i were too....you don't know what kind, how strong, or even what brand it really is. i wouldn't feel comfortable fishing with a generic line that has been abused, and if it came free on the reel id say it is. just me though.

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Spin cast reels are my only experience with prespooled reels and I am a firm believer in an ounce of prevention so I always respool. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    never bought a reel that had line on it but i would replace it no doubt

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would definitaly but some line that im familiar with and comfortable with on it. I could not stand wondering if I get a big one will this line I know nothing about land the fish? So I would go with what you know, good luck.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have not purchased a reel prespooled for myself in years. A few Zebcos for the grandkids. I would have to assume the quality of line used for any prespooled reel would have to be very low, so I would highly recommend spooling the reel with a quality line your are familiar with.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Didnt used to when i first was brought to interest in the sport but now I do because its just no count. I spool quality line on mine like Trilene, Stren etc..:cool2:

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    if i bought a reel and it was pre-spooled and i didn't know the brand of line i would change it.A lot of places will fill a spool for ya if you buy a reel, sports authority spooled berkley big game 25lb test on a Daiwa regal plus 5000 i bought from them, my buddy bought a okuma from virg's landing in morro bay CA and they filled the spool for him there also.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought some crappie poles that were prespooled when I got them. I stripped the line off them as soon as I got home and put some quality line on them. They have been sitting in storage for 12 months when I get home I will strip the line off them again and re spool them.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    like others i have bought very few reels that come prespooled but when i did ,cept when i was a kid,i replaced the line with 3 exceptions.here in the last year i have bought several penns off ebay and 3 of them came spooled with green dot braided dacron line.dacron never rots so im still using them.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never bought a reel with line on it....But if I did I would change it out...I change the line on my reels several times a year.

14. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive never bough a new reel with line on it except like ultra lights and stuff but i still always replace the line. I like to know what ive got on my poles. If i cant trust it then i dont want it.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive never bought my reels with line except for the zebcos for the wife and kids bought the wife a 808 was suppose to have 20#test and it broke like 6# junk line so yes respool with good line

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've only bought one reel that had line on it and I didn't change it and lost a nice size fish I never got to see. I fish with braid so I would change it no matter what. there's no tellin how old that other line is on the reel

17. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i also never bought a prespooled reel for catfishing the only that has been prespooled is my bait reel

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Don't think an reel I've bought, other than a Cabela's bargin cave reel, ever had line on it. In that instance yes, I would replace it. Never know what line it is, what shape it's in, or even what poundage it is.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer to use a line I have confidence in and would change any line that came on a new/used reel.

20. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Usually when I buy a new reel which is an Okuma I have the owner there to put line on both spools of my choice. Of course that is good ole Stren.