Do you remember your first flathead on rod and reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jun 21, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My first flathead came many years ago, I spent at least 5 years fishing for channel cats when I decided i wanted to see if all the storys i was told were true.

I was probably 16 and had many nice channel cats under my belt when I read a story in the no longer published ohio fisherman magazine.

The story was about flatheads, and they swam in the same water i had fished for years for channel cats and carp.

I had no one to teach me to fish so what i learned was thru trial and error.

I had often wondered why I never caught a falathead in them early years, after all paint creek, and the scioto had a good population.

why did they not hit my chicken liver??? But ahhh! this article explained it all they liked fish!.

I eagerly called my fishing buddy, and told him what i had found out, so we went to a local pond and caught us a bucket full of bluegills.

We did not have heavy tackle, zebco 33's and 12 -lb test...10 minutes after we started fising that night with our new knowledge, my buddy lost a zebco as a fish hit it like a freight train and launched it off his fork stick way out in the river.

Talk about excited!!!! we set there with trembling hands clutching our rods waiting for the next monster to hit..AGIN IT HIT ON MY BUDDYS ROD!!! Some how he was able to get this fsih landed after a long fight and it weighed 22-lbs..Not laong after that I was awarded with my first a 18-lber.

We quickly realized we needed heavier tackle for these fish, and we both worked long and hard after school so we could afford our first big fish set-ups!!!! they were big shakespere spinning reels on eagle claw trolling rods.

We fished these outfits for years landing many big fish, on what i consider junk tackle by todays standards.

Those were the best days of my life, and my how i wish i could go back in time and do it all agin.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good story, thanks for sharing jack.....rollo

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep Jack .... I remember my first Flathead very well .... It was just last weekend .... :wink: Garry-

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This will probably sound like a fishing story,:big_smile: but here goes. My buddy and I( at 10 years old) were messing around in a little with those old rambo knives. We took out the fishing kit using nightcrawlers we were fishing in a 5 foot hole in a local creek. All be darn if I didn't catch my first flathead, it went about three pounds. We were so excited we took it home stuck it in the bathtub for a couple hours to show it off. Then we carried it back to the creek and released it. Ahhhh those were days.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dang, only 2 people remember there first flathead??????

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    caught my first flathead at 10 years old,I was fishing the river. I found a big red and white float , hooked it to my line, baited with a frog and tossed it in front of a drift . the flat took it as it hit the logs . it weighed about 5#

7. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    My first one was caught on a shad crank bait fishing along the face of a dam.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my first flat was on a bluegill,an 8 foot alliance rod,25 pound bps line,and an eagle claw spinning reel,about noon.a guy my dad worked with got us camping at a lake south of hillsboro,and got us fishing for them.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I caught my first Flathead about 15 years ago on the Wabash river in Indiana. I was fishing for Flatheads using a ball of crawlers on a medium-light action spinning rod and 10# test. The fish hit around 3am. It's crazy the details I can remember. The next morning I went in to work (Marco's Pizza!) and could not stay awake at all. So I acted sick and went home and went to bed:smile2:

10. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Yep i remember all right, was just this morning at 1:30 no b.s, caught it on a 4-5 inch live gill fished on a slip rig with 3oz of weight, on 65 lb suffix braid 8 ft med heavy ugly stick, and shimano b. caster, Flattie weighed 11lbs. was actually the 2nd flattie ive caught but the first was an accident while walleye fishing. am definetly hooked now, ill be back next weekend for sure........

11. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    I was ten years old when i caught my first flathead of size,i was fishing a feeder creek in mingo known as cross creek. i had caught it on a cheap little $10 combo useing a big dead minnow. it was 10lbs i dont think it was my first flathead but its always the one that comes to mind, i flathead fish every chance i get now. that was the fish that started it all for me!

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i remember my first flathead..........a buddy of mine called me up about 4 years ago and told me about the big flatties that he was catching at Wills Creek Dam on live bulegills and he showed me a few pictures of some 25-30 lb flatties that he caught. I was shocked at the size of the fish and jumped at the chance to go with him. we spent most of the night down there fishing from about 8 pm till the sun was starting to rise.........i watched him catch several (one that was around 22 lbs) and i hadnt had a single run. Finally around 4 am i had a run ........hooked up with my first flattie and landed it (a 7 lber) and ive been hooked on fishing for flatties every since. i was AMAZED at how strong they were and what a beautiful fish it was...........we snapped a few pictures and released it back unharmed to grow up !!! ive now been fishing for flatties for 4 years (with a small break i had to take about 2 1/2 years ago for over a month when i nearly died from a sudden illness)......... I fish mainly the Tuscarawas River for them and i still havent broken the 20 lb mark ........(my biggest is 15 lbs 8 oz so far) but i now seldom fish for channel cats and almost exclusively target flatties !! i know some day i will get one like the ones ive seen on here but until then ill keep putting in my time fishing for them as much as possible and enjoy the time that i spend on the water with my dad............friends and my wife renee and my kids jessica and josh !!!

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont remember because i havent caught one yet, and i live just miles from the scioto. but believe me ill catch one before the years over.

14. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    My First Flathead was on a zebco reel a light 5" pole and 8lb test on Goldf:roll_eyes:ish in the muskingum it was a 15lb cat but after the fight the pole was unusable

15. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    My First Flathead was on a zebco reel a light 5" pole and 8lb test on Goldf:roll_eyes:ish in the muskingum it was a 15lb cat but after the fight the pole was unusable

16. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I remember catching my first flathead. I was jigging for Wipers using a 1/2oz jighead with live shad. I used a Quantum Energy reel with a Cabelas IMX rod and 8# test mono. The flathead weighed #17 and is still my PB. This was approx. 7 years ago at Johnson Lake inlet , here in Nebraska. :big_smile:

18. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I GREW UP FISHING FOR CHANNELS AND ANYTHING ELSE I COULD CATCH.
    TOLEDO AREA HAS SOME GREAT CHANNEL CATS, AND I DID WELL. I READ ABOUT THESE MONSTERS CALLED FLATHEADS BUT DIDN'T KNOW BAIT OR LOCATION OTHER THAN THEY ARE IN OHIO. A FRIEND WHO MOVED TO COLUMBUS AND I TOOK MANY TRIPS ALL OVER OHIO CHASING BIG FISH-- BASS, MUSKIE, AND YES CATFISH. THIS DANG SHOLVELHEAD THING WE WOULD SEE PICTURES OF AT ALL THE LOCAL BAITSHOPS WHEREVER WE WENT LOOKED BIG ENOUGH TO EAT CATS AND DOGS. AND SO THAT WAS IT, WE WERE GOING TO CATCH THESE MONSTERS NO MATTER WHAT IT TOOK. WE WENT EVERYWHERE... DILLON, BUCKEYE LK., SALT FORK, PIEDMONT, THE LIST KEEPS GOING AND NOTHING, ZIP; CHANNELS YES, FLATHEADS NO. WE EVEN WENT TO PAY LAKES , STILL NOTHING. SOMEHOW, OVER PERIODS OF YEARS WE MISSED THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS LIKE DON'T USE WORMS AND LIVERS TO CATCH FLATS, FISH AT NIGHT AROUND WOOD SNAGS, AND SO ON. SO I KINDA GAVE UP. THEN WHILE FISHING AT HOME ON THE MAUMEE BELOW GRAND RAPIDS DAM I LANDED A 18LB FLATHEAD. I WAS USING BASS GEAR FISHING A JIG FOR WALLEYES DURING THE DAY. BREAKING ALL THE RULES FOR FLATHEADS IT TOOK ME AT LEAST 5 YEARS TO CATCH ONE AND NOW I HARDLY FISH FOR ANYTHING ELSE. I LOVE CATCHING BIG FISH OF ANY SPECIES, BUT FLATHEADS ARE THE KING OF THEM ALL.

19. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I just caught my 1st flathead 2 weeks ago at mosquito creek during the neocats tournament. Caught it on a creek chub from a boat casting towards shore. It weighed 10 lbs and something, but I've been saying 11 lbs. It didn't fight like I thought it would have.

20. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fist off I will admit it was pure luck. My first flat was 6 years ago in the Ohio River. 2nd cast with a live bluegill on 20 pound mono with a uglystik combo. (7 footer)
    I had just said to my father in law "I wonder how long it takes these local boys to catch a 50 pounder" 5 seconds later I had a run, and 25 minutes later I was rewarded with my 56 pound first flathead! Still my PB.
    I put it in the creek behind the house in a deep pool until the next morning when we could get some pics. Then let it go back in the river...