Do you remember your first catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by splitshot, Jul 15, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    How old were you when you caught your first catfish? How big was he, and where did you catch him? I will never forget my first channel cat he weighed 4lbs. i caught him on a cane pole with a night crawler i was 9 yrs. old I caught him in a fishing derby and won a tackle box full of goodies. I couldnt have been more excited. fifty years later and i still feel the same way ! Steve :still_dreaming:

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I guess I must of been about 10 . Caught what called back then a Johnnie Cat I guess It's the same as a flathead. anyway it weighed 8.5 lbs. Caught it on a grasshopper. We had run out of worms,back then we didn't know what nightclawers were. used to go out in the barnlot and dig then up.fat little devils. anyway I caught this grasshopper put it on my hook and about 15 mins later bam pole bends double. never forget it .Was over i n Il.between Atlas,Il and Louisiana,Mo on what is known as Bay Creek. Hard to believe that was 52 years ago.:lol: LOL

3. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I guess I was about 7 or 8 and I was fishing with my Dad on a military reservation in Augusta. Ga.. We were fishing in one of the many catfish ponds they have. We were using Catalpa worms and I caught a channel cat about 2.5 pounds. He was proud of that. That is when I got hooked on fishing period.

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Boy, you guys have some memory! Its been awhile back for me and there have been so many cats i really can't remember. So i'm guessing it must've been a small one. lol

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    For years I fished a small private pond and only caught bluegill and bass using nightcrawlers, didnt even think there were cats in the pond. Well I was about 16 and some friends were with me fishing and enjoying some barley pops:embarassed:. I was out in the field and the biggest blackest grasshopper Ive ever seen landed on my shirt. I grabbed him up and put him on a old spinning outfit and not 2 minutes later the bobbers gone. Big fat channel Im guessing around 10 pounds.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

my first fish was a catfish a whopper at almost a pound caught on my granddaddies Zebco 33, which I still have, using catpillars fuzzy yellow and black one's for bait. I don't know who was prouder of that fish me are him but it is a memory that stays in my thoughts and keeps me going when things get rough.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My first cat was a small channel catfish here in Ohio out of deer creek..I think I was around 9 years old.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Honestly I've been in a boat around fishing my entire life. My grandparents started taking me when I was around 2 or 3 (I'm now 40). It was crappie in the spring, catfish the rest of the year. They say I was around 6 when I caught my first one by myself. My son (now 6) caught his first one with no help this year.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    My dad took me bullhead fishing at a local farm pond.
    My first catfish was a large bullhead about 3 lbs.
    It was the biggest bullhead my dad ever saw.
    Good memory.

10. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    My mom used to take me fishing across the street from her house. Neither one of us new how to fish, but she would bought me a rod and reel with a tackle box full of bass lures and hooks and I would fish with everything I had. The old man who owned the pond were i fish gave me a crappie pole so I would bass fish with it, and catfish with my bass pole. Catfishing to me was putting a plastic worm on a hook and with a weight and casting as far as I could. After three weeks of doing this I landed a 5 lbs channel cat. I was hooked! I have learned a lot since those days.

Thanks for helping me remeber what my mom used to do for me even though she did not really want to.

Keith
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

11. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I used to visit my great aunt and great uncle at their "summer" place..it was actually a trailer home in a retirement community in wester illinois called "fish-n-fun". I think I was nine, and one night after dinner I decided to go drop a line in the lake...I had no bait, so my great aunt gave me a few big hunks of the left-over steak from dinner and told me to go catch a big one. I had light action rod at the time, threw the steak on the hook and put a bobber on and cast out no more than maybe five feet off the bank. In less than 3 minutes my bobber disappeared and the battle was on. I tried to get this fish in for probably 20 minutes (felt like two hours at the time), the whole time I'm yelling for help at some people that were playing tennis, because I didn't want to lose this fish. They never came to help, eventually the fish tired and I dragged him ashore. I was fishing down a ledge that dropped around 7 feet from where the road was, and I could not manage to get up the ledge with the fish...so I continued to yell for help. Finally someone stopped and helped me up with the fish, I rummaged through a garbage can that was nearby and dug out a empty bag of concrete mix...in the fish went, I was soooo excited to get back to show my great aunt and uncle the fish I caught. When I got back he weighed the fish @ 15lbs, it was a channel cat.
    We snapped a few pics for my parents to see, cleaned the fish and froze the filets, ended up eating them when I returned home with my parents. I ended up getting in the local newspaper as well, it was a story I had told for a long time...and enjoyed retelling it once again.
    Thanks!

12. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I was 8 and we were new to the area of ohio so my mother took me to a $$$ lake. I didnt catch a thing, but while i went to use the bathroom she asked a guy if she could borrow a catfish to put on the line. I came back and she was yelling at me to hurry up. I was so proud, it was only like 3#'s though. Anyways i didnt figure out that wasnt a fish i caught until a month ago so. i dont remember the first time I actually "Caught" a catfish:confused2:

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i was 13 years old,it was a 25pound blue coaught at santee cooper.
    man it was a fight.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I caught my first channel on a plain, cane pole, when I was 6 years old.

15. fourwglenn

fourwglenn New Member

State:
    Ocala,Fla.
    The first cats I caught were bullheads. My grandpa and two of my uncles took me with them to a canal that ran threw one of their cow pastures in Hialeah, Fla. This was in 1953 so Hialeah was mostly pines and palmetto scrub back then. My grandpa had a cow sale on 79th street in those days. I was 7 years old at the time.
    Glenn

16. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds like I'm in the same boat as many others...I've been raised fishing and I guess I caught my first as soon as I was old enough to hold a rod. Both my parents were avid catfishermen (mostly for food since there were six of us boys).

17. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    nope but it would have to been when i was 6years +- most likly somthing in the area of 3lbs but for sure taken on the the colorado river( lake havasu) and it would have been with my grandfather 45 years ago, man o man where has the time gone, always loved fishing the grandpa

18. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I don't remember my exact first catfish, but I remember when I was really young probably 5 or 6, and we would go over to the Canal in Broadripple right where it came off the White River and we would drift nightcrawlers under a bobber on our light action set ups. Caught tons of 3/4-1lb channel cats, it was a blast back in the day.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Do you remember your first catfish?

Well, I don't remember my first one, and I don't want to have to try and remember my last one!!!!

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I remember mine. I stuck my thumb in his mouth to lip him. I didn't know you shouldn't do that.