do you reel Right handed or left handed?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gamaCatsu, Aug 25, 2009.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    this is one of those highly debated subjects that in my opinion there is no correct answer.. but i am posting to see how all of you feel...:big_smile:

long story short.. i have a friend thats right handed, as am i also... i noticed when were fishing and hes using my rods, which are left handed bait casters (abu 6500) i noticed that he casts left handed and then switches back to his right hand. this doesnt seem normal to me, all tho he swears thats how hes fished for years...how do you guys feel about this subject? its kinda annoying watchin him switch hands all the time. :eek:oooh:

do you switch hands after casting? im right handed an i use left handed bait casters simply because i feel like i have more control over the rod when a fish is on. so i retrieve and reel with my left hand.:cool2:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Iam right handed I cast right and reel right my left hand is my control hand dont know why but it works for me. I shoot hand guns right handed and long guns left messed up I know I hear about it all the time at work. lol

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Baitcasters right handed, spincasters left handed.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Left handed here:wink:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats the way I fish. Always cast right handed.

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Well some people are odd I can do everything left handed as I can right handed I can use tools wright checks fish whatever with any hand and yes I am odd:embarassed:

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Got two hands, use 'em both. I am left handed. Cast left handed and switch rod to my right hand and reel left handed. Can't read my writing but I can fish ok.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm right handed so this means on spinning reels, I use the left side for the cranking handle and right hand to hold the rod and cast. What ever hand you cast with, your handle should be on the other side of the reel...otherwise you have to switch hands when you have to cast.

You can do it whatever way but having to switch hands is a bad habit to get into.

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm the same way as you Shane. I don't get casting with one hand, then switching the rod into the other hand to reel. I cast with my right hand and reel with my left always. If I'm right handed it just makes sense that that's the hand I want to control where the rod goes (both when fighting a fish and when working lures), while my uncoordinated left hand just turns a handle. I won't buy a right handed bait caster.

Part of this is because that's what makes sense to me, and it's what's comfortable to me, but also because once I got off of spincast to spinning reels, everything was left hand retrieve. I used only spinning reels for years until I finally got to where I could cast a baitcaster respectably. Then, I just couldn't use right handed retrieve, especially when I was in that transition period with some spinning and some baitcasting tackle.

10. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Always cast with my right hand. Grew up with spinning reels with the left hand retrieve. Got a couple baitcasters and cast with right and switch the rod to my left and crank with my right.

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I am goofy.

I cast right handed, and reel right handed. I cast out, switch the rod to my left hand and reel with my right hand. With spinning tackle too.

Always done it this way.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    cast with my left and reel with my right. i am left-handed, as all good people are:smile2:

hunted as a lad, but we had no money. dads shotguns were always break action single shot. got married and my father-in-law took me dove and quail hunting. he let me borrow his guns and they were right-handed semi-automatics. i sure didn't like having that shell eject across my nose, since i shot it left-handed.

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    since a kid cast right handed cranked left handed...just feels odd to cast right and crank right handed .... being right handed i have more control on the rod while cranking left handed

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I write right-handed, but reel left handed.:wink:

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    hahah this is great, thanks guys

im still laughin @ johns post ( Got two hands, use 'em both. I am left handed. Cast left handed and switch rod to my right hand and reel left handed. Can't read my writing but I can fish ok. )

lmao!!

16. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    I am right handed. Grew up using spinning gear. Back then, the crank was alway on the left and the handle was not interchangeable. So you worked the rod with your right, and worked the reel with your left; no choice. Even today, I use spinning gear 99.99 percent of the time I fish, and I alway use my left hand to reel. I do own a conventional or 2 and don't have an issue operating it, but I do hate reeling with my right hand.

17. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm so dominantely right handed that I can barely work a TV remote with my left hand, but somehow when it comes to fishing I can cast and reel equally well with either hand. Yeah, I don't know how either..:wink: My only guess is because growing up nearly everyone I fished with seemed to be left handed.

18. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I'm right handed. Cast right, reel left!

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WELL,I'm left handed,But I do alot of things right handed. bout the only things I cant do right handed is drink a cup on coffee,eat or write my name. I learned to fish with a zebco 909. Thus I cast left handed and reel right handed,I also switch all my spinning reels to right hand retrieve.

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    spinning reels cast right handed reel left handed.casting reels cast right ganded switch hands reel right handed.dont know why it just is.