Do you really know them?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SubnetZero, Jan 20, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My Wife's Grandfather passed away this morning. We spent all day over at the In-Laws as Family and Friends stopped by to offer condolences and celebrate his life. While I had spent some time with him, I never really got to know him. Talking to family members tonite, I learned I was in the company of a True American Hero all this time and didn't know it. He just didn't talk about it very often.

Bud was WWII and a Korean war vet. He was part of the D-Day invasion at Omaha beach. As most probably know, Omaha beach was a brutal killing ground and is epically covered in movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. Apparently he was involved in alot of the more known battles along with lesser covered ones.

Couple of stories I heard tonite..

Somewhere in France, he was navigator on a tank. They came under heavy enemy fire. Their tank got hung up and entangled in a bunch of barb wire. His buddies inside were trying to decide if they should draw straws or do a vote on who was going to have to go outside to untangle them. While they were discussing it, Bud just jumped out and started on it (He had said if one had gotten shot, he would probably never be able to look in a mirror again)... His hands got completely shredded (had scars from it the rest of his life) pulling the wire off and around their tank while dodging incoming fire at him... He was issued a Purple Heart, but refused to accept it. He didn't think he deserved anything since he hadn't been shot like most of his buddies...

Once a fisherman, always a fisherman heh..

When he came home from the war (his first day back), they asked him what he wanted for diner, anything he wanted.. He ran out, grabbed a couple of cane poles and headed to the nearest creek... Caught a couple of channel cats and asked em to be fried up with all the fixen's cause thats what he absolutely missed the most while over seas....

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Sorry to hearabout your loss of a family member. It is very interesting that we really don't know as much as we think we do about our family's.
    History in the making.

:wink:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry for your family's loss Tim. Hope that peace will be with you all soon.
    That was a very interesting story. Its a shame that more of them were'nt passed down. Here's to one of our nations hero's, Salute!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry for the loss. Sounds like a great guy.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Be assured he is at peace now. All those battles he had fought for many a time for many a year are over with and he can rest. God Bless his soul.

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    That was a great story about your wife's Grandfather. It was a honor to hear it. Thanks for sharing!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Very sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for posting your story.

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Sorry For your loss.Thanks for the story.You and your wife will be in my prayers.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My hat is off head hung low not knowing him but all the same be proud this man deserves it..................AMERICIAN...............proud and loud!
    I HAVE A SMILE KNOWING HE WANTED A OLE STINKING CATFISH!