Do you read all the posts within a thread before you respond?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is something that bugs me. Now, let me preface this by saying that I realize not everyone spends the kind of time I do here on the BOC.

However, most people enjoy thinking they have an original thought, idea, question, that hasn't been posed previously. I don't mean to say that there aren't great thoughts/ideas that need to be reaffirmed.

But for me, this really IS a brotherhood/sisterhood; and the majority of the time, I at least attempt to read EVERY post on a thread before I proceed.

Know what I mean? What if YOU'VE said something, about fishing, life, music....that you think is worthwhile? THEN you come back to that thread, and it seems to you other people have ignored it.

They haven't in all likelihood. People are busy, they see a topic, they respond in their own individual way. BUT.....it DOES get old when you see the SAME thing posted over and over again.

I get tired of pantyhose, chicken livers, and Cajun Red, and have said so on occasion. I'm tryin' to do better. Not everyone (especially new folk) knows we have a search feature.

I suppose if everyone posted most of the time as I do (a book :smile2:), that what I'm proposing would be impossible. I don't think it is though.

I'm not talking about MY posts here. What about our newer members, or folks who don't feel comfortable saying much, and when they do they are then ignored......I've seen it happen time after time, even in chat.

I'll never understand it. Maybe if a thread is a gazillion pages long, yes. Otherwise, imo, you should have a l'il common courtesy. At least RECOGNIZE that someone has said somethin' you're gettin' ready to.... BEFORE you did. (No need to worry 'bout this if it's a poll or someone asking for opinions.)

It just hurts my heart sometimes. Thanks for reading.

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I once experienced this on a singles website that had message boards. I'm married now so I don't go over there but having been there helped me to have a thick skin. There are always going to be cliques and an in crowd where ever you go. That's life.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yep, it is....I guess I'm just tryin' to stick up for the people that DON'T...understand that. And I mean EACH post on a particular thread. I've been around here for a long time, and this isn't directed towards you or any of the newer members. Glad you have a grip though Jeff. :0a31:

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    CATGIRL!!!!!!! Hi Tanya my friend how are ya??? Do I read every post ?,yes at one time I was reading every word posted but when the read got to where it took over 3 hours I stopped trying to read them all. I'm afraid I haven't read very many sence my wife passed away last year,heck I haven't even been fishing in 2 years.The BOC means a lot to me,my good friends on this board helped me get through some very trying times so I guess after Margie passed I got lost for a while but I always knew the Brotherhood was here for me.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Jim! My heart feels a l'il better now. :big_smile:

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, it seems the title is confusing. I KNOW everyone can't read ALL the threads and posts these days. All I meant was, if a thread isn't REALLY long, and you know you're going to respond to it (because you're interested in the topic, or have extra info to provide).....why not take the few extra minutes to read what's on there.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Im sorry Tanya did you say something :wink::tounge_out:

I read every post I open

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I appreciate your post,no I don't read every post,and it's because I have nothing to add.Usually it's a post that I have no knowledge of,(ie boating,computers,ect) I have had posts that were ignored,but it didn't bother me,I just always figured it was because folks didn't know what to say(I've been there also)I really do appreciate your sentiments though and I'm giving you reps,if I can.:wink::smile2:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't rep ya Catgirl,this is most unfortunate,as I feel this was a really good post.:smile2:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is something that bugs me. Now, let me preface this by saying that I realize not everyone spends the kind of time I do here on the BOC.

However, most people enjoy thinking they have an original thought, idea, question, that hasn't been posed previously. I don't mean to say that there aren't great thoughts/ideas that need to be reaffirmed.

But for me, this really IS a brotherhood/sisterhood; and the majority of the time, I at least attempt to read EVERY post on a thread before I proceed.

Know what I mean? What if YOU'VE said something, about fishing, life, music....that you think is worthwhile? THEN you come back to that thread, and it seems to you other people have ignored it.

They haven't in all likelihood. People are busy, they see a topic, they respond in their own individual way. BUT.....it DOES get old when you see the SAME thing posted over and over again.

I get tired of pantyhose, chicken livers, and Cajun Red, and have said so on occasion. I'm tryin' to do better. Not everyone (especially new folk) knows we have a search feature.

I suppose if everyone posted most of the time as I do (a book :smile2:), that what I'm proposing would be impossible. I don't think it is though.

I'm not talking about MY posts here. What about our newer members, or folks who don't feel comfortable saying much, and when they do they are then ignored......I've seen it happen time after time, even in chat.

I'll never understand it. Maybe if a thread is a gazillion pages long, yes. Otherwise, imo, you should have a l'il common courtesy. At least RECOGNIZE that someone has said somethin' you're gettin' ready to.... BEFORE you did. (No need to worry 'bout this if it's a poll or someone asking for opinions.)

It just hurts my heart sometimes. Thanks for reading.
    :wink::wink:...W

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No way do I read every thread thats posted on the B.O.C. I have no interest in over 2/3 of the stuff posted. Of the 1/3 I am interested in, I generally ready every post in the thread, but only respond to a very few of the threads, in proportion to those I read. I still wish we had the feature where you could just block the topics that holds no interest, because there never will be interest in certain threads. As it is, it still requires a few hours to read the subject of each thread, choose what I'll respond to, and respond. I'm not getting any younger, and they'll probably find my cold body, complete with rigamortis, setting on the B.O.C.

11. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Seriously though,
    If I do try to read a bunch of threads and each post in them, maybe post a couple of responses, I run out of time and the board tells me something about no further matches blah, blah.
    Some of the sections and the threads and posts in them hold no interest for me so I tend to skip over those and read the ones I am following or that are in a section pertinent to me. If I have something to offer, I do read all the posts to make sure it has not already been said.
    Based on the number of times the same questions are asked over and over I am of the opinion that the library and the search function are grossly underused. It could be because folks don't know about them or just plain laziness, I don't know which; maybe a bit of both...W

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    For all of you who have posted ahead of me. I get started on a post and read most of it. maybe not on all subjects as said before. I have a problem with marking the ones i've read sometimes and wish there was a way to indicate that I've read it with out saying it's a useful post. Know what I mean? some posts are not useful but theyve been read by a lot of people. If a post is just a comment on of a subject and I have to mark it as a useful post sometimes I don't want to. therefore I just lurk a lot!!----------I mean like this post --wasn't a damn thing important said just ramblin by ME.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Okay folks.....Pat and Lawrence, I don't read every post on every thread in every forum of the BOC either.

We all pick and choose what we're interested in and would like to read/add to.

As I stated previously, this is about reading EACH post on a particular thread - not EVERY post on the whole BOC. That would be impossible! :smile2:

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If I am going to reply to a thread I go through and read the previous posts and try not to repeat what someone else has already said unless it's asking for everyone's opinion.

16. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    But you are a woman of leisure, what else do you have to do:wink::wink::wink:
    ...W

17. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I read everything in the NC Fishing Section, The over the hill gang, The BOC Animal House, Ramblings, Hey you, got a question or issue, and I have read most everything in the Library. I peek at HI HO every now and then. So, as you can see, I do not read a lot of the good information available on the BOC. If I see a thread posted by someone I know, I will open it to see what is going on. There is just too much available for this feeble mind.

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i dont read every thing just dont have that kinda time i read things of intrest and if i can help some one i jump in or give my two cents hear and thear yes a lot of stuff is repeated over and over but thats not a big deal to me if i need a anser to a ? im just as bad as the new comers to just ask instead of serching for the anser so much info on this site its hard to wade thrue it all

19. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    When I get way behind on something posted I normally don't read it, or if I do I don't post on it because I don't care to be repetitive.

Can't say it bothers me if everyone doesn't acknowledge every word I say even if *I* think it's important. If I am the one putting it on "paper" then it stands to reason that I must think it's funny or informative oran acknowledgment between myself and someone that has posted... I don't post for post count and I am thick skinned on the net. Things don't bother me online as much because lots of people get them internet muscles as I like to call it and say stuff they would never say in person but in an online situation it's a way to "flex" and I think lots of people use it as a frustration outlet,
    I rep new people's posts though I may not post on the thread, and I visit their profile and welcome them when I see them post on threads I am active in, and many many times I am the only one that has left them a profile message. There may be more going on between a couple of people on a thread than what we can see in the thread,
    as we have no way to know who has given reps without posting a word....I do that ALOT.

20. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    some times i like reading every post some times i dont.i try to at least thk the ones i read .i try to welcome every new comer i run across