Do you play any musical instruments?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SouthGADan, Sep 24, 2009.

Do you play any musical instruments?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I used to

4. I tried, but couldn't

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Well, do ya, punk? And if yes, what kind?

I play the acoustic guitar and the electric bass. I like to flatpick a little bit of bluegrass on the guitar, but I also like fingerstyle guitar. On the bass I play for my family when they sing in church (my dad plays guitar then normally), and a bit of Christian Contemporary for when I'm listening to my iPod. I'm not really good; it's just fun to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I play guitar and harmonica. I have an Ovation 1876 legend acoustic/electric, and two Warmoth '72 Telecasters I constructed. I have a Trace Elliot TA60Cr solid state amp, and a Peavey Classic 50 tube amp which started smoking and is not working right now. I play blues and classic rock, but I do like some contemporary Christian music too.

Bill in SC

3. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    There's just something about the blues; if I ever pick the melody to a well known song, I have the tendency to lean towards the bluesy side of things. I wish I could play guitar like some folks play harmonica, with the bluesy notes and all. It's just not in my head.

I have a Squire MB-4 bass and SWR Workingman's 12 amp. I also have a Washburn D-10 acoustic guitar, and I like it for some things. But really I like using my dad's Martin D-15 and HD-28's unless the Washburn is just talking to me at that time.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I play guitar. I have a Music Man 25th Anniversary guitar and a Mesa Boogie Lonestar amp.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to be able to play the trombone, baritone, tuba, and trumpet, not sure if i still could play any of them..my wife is trying to teach me to play the Git-tar though

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, banjo, mandolin, harmonica, vacuum cleaner:eek:oooh:

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I only play guitar and Dobro/slide guitar now, but I started as a drummer, was a percussionist in the orchestra, moved to Bass, played Harmonica when Dylan and The Byrds were big, and played some piano while studying music in college. I tried Sax and Trumpet, but all I could get out of them was Buffalo farts.!:wink::smile2:

8. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Does rockband count :smile2:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have owned several guitars in my lifetime. I presently own a Gibson Lucille, BBK Signature model. Don't play much anymore. I do have a grandson that is an Accomplished Musician and every thing goes to him.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I play a little acoustic and electric guitar, not the greatest but its relaxing like fishing.

11. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I try to play, but don't have much patience. My dad taught me to play fingerstyle guitar. I have more of a Merle Travis style and his is more Chet Atkins. If I were half as good as him, I'd be a really happy picker and grinner. I currently own a '78 Yamaha acoustic and a 1972 Fender Telecaster thinline given me by my dad. He has several, original Chet Atkins Nashville orange Gretsch, a newer Gretsch Country Club in cadillac green, Hohner LP style, Tradition Jerry Reid, Washburn acoustic and more. Also has two original Fender Princeton Reverb's, original Fender Vibrolux, Peavey Classic 50, and 3 Dean Markley amps. He could start his own music store:smile2: Anyway thanks everybody for sharing, music is a passion.

12. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I play guitar.
    I used to play bass, drums, and a little mandolin but not in a long time. I'm just really starting to play again.

I have stacks of electric guitars and amps but I've been buying and playing acoustics lately. I'm working on an acoustic duo called One Hundred Percent Black.
    Think Spinal Tap, not race.
    We do everything from Johnny Cash to Motorhead to Slipknot but nothing that is usually considered 'acoustic' music.
    No Simon and Garfunkel or Cat Stevens.

13. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My mother made me take piano lessons when I was a kid, I don't know maybe it was a culture thing with her. I played reictals and the whole bit for three years, but never learned to read music--played by ear. Now I can't even find middle C on the thing:smile2::smile2: Still have an appreciative ear though and can listen all day but no can play. Stay safe and keep on stickin and pickin!!!:wink:

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I play drums. I have played them since I was 8 yrs old. I've played in several bands. I also play the steering wheel drums. I have to but steering wheel covers all the time cause I wear them out. LOL.

15. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I play guitar but mainly play gospel. I sing and play for my church at times.

I own an Ovation custom legend acoustic/electric that I love. Used to have a Takamini twelve string that I sold years ago.. I can still just kick myself for that.

I do play different styles from blues, country and old classic rock. I pick a little but mostly just play rhythm.

Don't want to overtake this thread but, does anyone know of a good website to get gospel songs from with the guitar chords?

I have found a few but still am not satisfied.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Does a stereo count.:wink:

17. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I play electric and some acoustic guitar. Mostly blues of all varieties.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    guitar and trumpet along time ago.

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I used to play a trumpet, cause thats what we had. I thought coronet was cool, and I like the saxophone. I started to play harmonica, by memorizing the music and practicing it, but then stopped. Never could get the hang of a guitar.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm a fairly accomplished pianist, and I imagine I could still play a church organ if need be. I have an acoustic guitar and I need to practice. :smile2:

Used to play the clarinet, oboe, and dabbled with a chanter for a minute (the wind instrument you use to learn on, before tangling with the bagpipes).

My best instrument is my voice, imo.