Do You or Have You Fished the Big South Fork of the Cumberland River?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by festus, Sep 30, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

My dad grew up in the area around Blue Heron mines in a place called the Shoopman community. I have been up that way a couple of times doing genealogical research and visiting cemeteries, and noticed there are some awesome streams up there.

Just wondering, has anyone tried it there? Either the TN or KY side? Any idea what the average depth is? What types of fish and best time of year?

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was looking at a site today that was full of info about that area. found it while doing some research on google earth. It didn't go into detail about river or stream depth but it was praising the area for it trout population. It made mention that muskie were very active in winter and early spring as well. The site was a land mark of Cumberland falls on google earth and I found it just prowling through the links there.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

3. festus

festus New Member

Yes, there's a trout stream there where my ggg grandparents are buried called Rock Creek. The stream lives up to its name, it's full of rocks and boulders. And there were some really deep looking holes in it. I haven't been to Cumberland Falls in a long time, but the best I remember, I saw quite a few folks fly fishing. Reckon there's trout in there, too?

The Yamacraw Bridge area of Big S. Fork looked pretty easy to get to, but I imagine it's heavily fished there. We saw a copperhead each of our two trips around Shoopman

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Used to fish Rock Creek alot a very good trout stream ! Some of it is delayed harvest ( no harvest from Oct. to march I think ) Artificials only from Bell Farm bridge to Tn. state line . As far as the south fork never fished it but there is a good walleye run in the spring and I would bet it is a good smallmouth stream as well .

5. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the info, Lance. Have you ever fished Bear Creek, a tributary of the Big South Fork? I don't really know how big of a stream it is or even if it's big enough to hold fish of size. I just know my folks grew up near it and I have a photo from about 1935 where my grandfather (a Baptist minister) is baptising a group of young people. My aunt thinks it's Bear Creek.

I found some stuff on the Internet that says if you have a TN fishing license, you're allowed to fish the Big South Fork on the KY side to the Yamacraw Bridge without a KY license. But you're not allowed to fish the tributaries without a KY license. Can anyone verify this?

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Never fished bear creek . I think its the main stem and not the tributaries but I am not sure on this . the kdfwr page might be able to clarify your qestion or you could call the dnr in Frankfort ky .