Do you like your Hawg seeker??

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by oahegw, Nov 9, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I bought one last spring and used it very little. This fall I tried it on Salmon. I took a ten pounder on bait and was pleased with the performance and the bait alert beeper. For a cheapie it won't always be available for use by my rough neck grandsons.

Any of you guys own one? If so, What say you on results.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My buddy owns one and he catches tons of fish on it no problem.
    It's the only spinning combo we ever put out when we fish, and it's always the first rod to get a fish on.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great rod/reel. Have caught numerous catfish and bass on it. The biggest being a 10lb Blue and a 10LB Channel. Dont use it as often since fishing the James calls for bigger gear but it always catches more and bigger fish than the rest of my poles for some reason

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    bought 2 one for my wife one for myself last year.my bait alert tore up the first time i usedit,my wifes lasted about 3 trips.the reels are all right on fish up to 20 or 25 lbs. anything over and they stop reeling.i would NOT buy another one EVER.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its not my favorite combo, but it works fine for me. I caught a 20.0lb flat and a 18.0lb channel on it. Both were good fights. I trashed the mono that was on it for 65lb Power Pro. I dont know why, but it allways gets the big bites rather than my heavy duty set ups. Overall I like it. I might buy another one for when I take the kids fishing, or take a friend.

6. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I think you guys are correct. This outfit DOES have its limitations, but overall is has value for eater size cats. And it makes a good outfit for kids before they step up into the "big-time".

Thanks to all for your input.

7. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i bought one for the ex-wife, i got it in the divorce LOL, she used it maybe 3 times tops and i didnt like how the bait alert had to be set with the spool engaged so i sold the reel to a buddy who loves to use spincast reels, put a abu 6600 bcx on it and my biggest this year is 36lb. 14 oz., i really dont like the reels but the rods are great rods, havnt had one problem with the rod and i wish they would sell just the rods and in different sizes, i would like to beable to get a 8-9 footer...

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I think they are silly looking

9. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got one and landed quite a few 18s and 19s on it. Never had any problems with it and the bite alarm still works and it's ove a year old. But then again, I don't use it anyways. If it goes off you get crazy looks from everybody, lol.

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I bought the spincast reel separately and paired it with an Ugly Stik Catfish rod. It's all right, I catch a lot of eaters on it. I don't use the bite alarm as much as I thought I would, but its a good pole to set out down the bank a little distance from where I am standing when I am trying to catch 'gills for supper or bait. With a circle hook I have gotten several fish because of the alarm. It isn't my favorite outfit but it was a decent price, and usually I am fishing for channels only (not real big ones) in a lake. I just have 20-lb Stren mono on mine, replaced what came on the reel of course as that had some bad memory and was coiling up on me. Two summers of use at least once a week and it still works ok, I bring it with me every time. I bought another in case a friend comes along and I need an extra because it is simple to use for a newbie or a child.

I give it a thumbs up for the use I put it towards.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i will add...i use a few 808s for my smaller tackle...so silly looking....i got that covered too :smile2:

12. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    My spinning reel alert broke very quickly. The reel still works fine but its definately not the quality of reel I want to be using when the big one hits.

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    how are the rods on these setups?

14. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    jeffro,the rods are pretty decent i have no problems with the rods.the reels are allright but the bite alarms don't last good for medium size fish.think the rod would hold a pretty big fish no problem.

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i love the rods that come with the 808 combos but not so much the reels after a few months of hard use..figured the hawgzs would be bout the same

16. NCSBI185

NCSBI185 Member

State:
    NC
    We have two of the Hawg combos and have landed several over 20 lb without a problem. Line capacity is limited with heavier line though. The bite alerts don't work as good as I would like either, we usually leave them turned off. For about the same price we got several of the Bill Dance Combos from Bass Pro and like them much better. The rods are stiffer and seem to do better on the bigger fish. But for the price you can't really go wrong with either one.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I got a buddy that just started fishing this year.He got one of those Hawgseeker spincast combos.I know one thing about em,they,re waterproof.He had a decent channel pull it in the river,my buddy fished around and hooked his line for him.It came up still beeping and flashing with the fish on the end yet.I took it apart later to check it for him,the electronic parts are sealed with a rubber gasket.:wink:

18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Wow it seems as if everyone is using the Hawgseeker Spincast Model. I have no experience with that one as I didnt like how it looked or use spincast anymore. However alot of people seem to have success with them. I have the 7ft Spinning Combo and I have caught too many fish and just as the gentleman above me, it has gotten snatched in a couple rivers plenty of times but I always run in and get it, and everything works just fine. had mine since 2007 no problems. Just recently took the mono off due to memory but its been over two years and just filled it with plenty of 65lb PP so cant wait to try it again.:big_smile:

19. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    Now the rods i like and paired up with my abu 6600bcx it works like a dream, the rod handle a 36lber easily and numerous 20's, i just wish i could get the rod separately.

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have a spincaster too that I got for my son,just so happens he is more into bicycles right now so I use it the batteries went dead but still pulls in fish never hooked anything big yet but if I do I only respooled it with 30 # mono