Do you like it to stretch?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 2, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Well just got my first ever baitcast reel: the abu garcia 6000 from wal-mart. I love it! I've spent quite a bit of time practicing with it today & have had several backlashes but they weren't too hard to get out.

I loaded it up with cheap 30lb mono. I eventually intend to load it with 20lb mono when it's time to fish. I just heard that it would be easier to learn with bigger line. I'm not sure if this was the best line to learn with. It is so stiff that it seems to backlash more. However, I've never used a baitcaster before so I obviously don't know if I even know what I'm talking about:)

I would appreciate any advice on what size & type of line would be best to learn baitcasting with. Also, I would like to know what kind of line you guys prefer when it's time to actually fish. I would think you would like stretchy mono for set lining (using circle hooks & loading up) & that you would like non-stretchy braid for when you want to set the hook with a "j" hook.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia

3. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont know what happened there with that quote but its all there.

4. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    What's easier to cast? What causes less backlashes? Mono or braid?

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mono is easier to learn with. With braid you have the chance of it digging into the spool of line. As far as what kind any good quality line is good. Don't skimp on line. Whats a 300 yard spool of berkley or stren 8 bucks or something. I would say 20 pound is a good pound test as well. With the cheap line it's thicker and less flexible. That alone is going to make it harder to cast. As far as what line is better when it comes to fishing. What ever floats your boat. I would say mono but I'm going to try braid this year on ALL my reels.

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    first of all welcome,second,i use 20lb on my bait casters,third,keep throwin it youll learn how to set it up i still bird nest mine from time to time,figured its a part of life owning a bait caster,but i love all of mine,love my big spinning rig too...

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use mono on all my reels right now, I'm thinking of trying braid on a couple of my setups. On my abu 6000's I use 20lb. mono. The lines I currently use are ande, big game, stren, and bass pro excel. I've been using these for many years now with no complaints. Like the other post said a decent quality line will make a difference with your casting.

8. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I would think it is easier to learn on a 20 lb. mono. It has been too many years since I learned to baitcast. A bit of info here.....I learned to bait cast back in the 50's, when spinning reels had not come to general wide usage.

Furthermore the old reel I learned on was a miracle of stone age technology. Plainly spoken, my grandpa gave it to me, and I loved it. But grandpa was cheap:smile2: But he lit a fire inside me that has never gone out.

Bought my first Ambassadeur 6000 in 1968, and still use that Ambassadeur today. Can't wear them out.

Enough history....The single most important thing in learning to cast is to keep your eye on the sinker, and your thumb ready to feather the line, then clamp down before it hits the water.

Braid tends to wind knot, and although I am now fairly proficient with braid, I wouldn't recommend it to learn to baitcast.

Hope this helps. At my age I tend to ramble some:roll_eyes:

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    20# mono is a good all around test, I think. If you're fishing around heavy cover and worried about break-offs, spool with Power-Pro and use a mono leader.

The stretch factor is important. The stretch mono provides is a like a shock-absorber, and provides a little room for error when fighting a fish on a short line or in case your drag is a bit too tight.

I prefer Stren High Impact or regular old Stren. It's soft and casts pretty well.

Shawn

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt I would suggest starting with 20# Big Game mono line. This is a strong all around line. The key to backlashes is the proper adjustment on the line out speed. Adjust the reel so that the line will slowly drop from the tip of the rod.(With weight attached) You will have to readjust each time you change weight size.