Do you keep your spots secret?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 5, 2007.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As a long time fisheman of the Scioto river which is heavily fished in spots I tend to not give out eact locations on where I catch big fish..I used to but only to find my spots overun with people, you know you tell someone, then they tell someone and before you know it it gets out of hand..What are your thoughts?..Now if they were like me and they took a pic and released the big fish that would make a difference, but when you see them dragging 30-lbers up the bank to take home it kind of sours you.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i dont really have a spot to catch "Big" fish yet. but i do have a spot that me and a buddy have that we can pull 4-10 pound channels all night, there always there. ive yet to share that with anyone. just me and him kno about it.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    a good cat hunter never tells his true secrets. he shares his insights , thoughts and philosophy to the best of his ability , leaving out some key details now and then to throw them off a little. however i am fairly secretive to the spots i know, but i have also shared some good spots with fellow fisherman because they showed me as well...........stalker:wink:

4. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    after getting burned by a few "friends" when i showed them my spots ....................i dont do it anymore !!!

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Jack I use to but like you I found that once word is out your spots goes to @hit in no time. Me & my uncle told a few ppl where we got a few nice fish one aternoon. The next day we went back out on the river and there was 4 boats right in the spot we had fished the day before. My uncle asked one of the guy's on one boat if the fish were hitting? The guy says - No luck yet but two guy's got some nice ones here yday. That was the last time I told anyone right where I catch fish. I will tell them what body of water but that's about it now.

6. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I feel your better off to keep your spot's to yourself !!!

I've seen to many good place's get screwed up when a friend bring's there friend, then there friend ordeal.

Another thing to remember keep your bait pond's SECRET !!!

HAWK

7. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just giving general info on kind of structure and depths that your catching fish at at certain times is info that can help people out. But as far as giving out exact locations I think if you worked to find the spot, its better to keep it to yourself.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I don't advertise exact locations but just a general idea. If i take someone fishing with me to a good spot, it because I trust that person not to go crazy with the details either.
    The worst part is when a stranger watches land a fish and then cast out 1-2 feet from where you are. Even had one idiot cross my line try to get close to where I was fishing. My gear turned out to be a little more heavy duty than his, if you get my drift.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would share em with close friends and people that I know would CPR only. Nice to see ya posting my friend, hope all is well.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I try to keep my tournament spots secret but we have a couple of teams that we have seen using binoculars to follow teams around. It's getting harder to keep your spots secret. Like you said and it's the same for your hunting spots if you tell a friend then they tell a friend and it's a never ending chain reaction. I have holes that I fish that I don't even go near until tournament day.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I'll tell them where my spots are but I tend to be dislexic ( :wink:) and get it reversed.

12. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't have any "spots" yet.....still trying to find them. However, knowing how hard I have been looking...I don't think I would just give someone that information without them doing their own homework....it takes a lot of time, money and effort to find a decsent spot....here's hoping I find one someday.

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I mostly am too free with info.:smile2:

May regret it someday but I want to help people out. A lot of people have given me good advice and SOME of it even worked. I try to return the favor.

Lots of fish out there.

If I know you eat everything you can catch my directions might be 'off' a bit.:byebye:

14. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Tell only very trustworthy people. Aside from my dad, who can keep a secret, there's only one other guy I tell about spots. I too, learned the hard way about keeping a good spot to yourself. Helping people learn about big cats and the types of areas they tend to gravitate to is one thing. Don't get specific! Especially if you fish tournaments.

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    This seems to come up a lot whether it's on here or just talking to folks at the baitshop or wherever.

I think the general concensus is that most people aren't going to divulge that information. I know I don't. I'll tell you what bait I'm using, how I'm using it, what gear I'm using, and if I'm feeling nice that day, even the general stretch of river/lake I'm fishing (and by general I mean 5 miles of water). But never THE "honey-hole".

That's part of fishing to me - any idiot can grab a pole and catch fish. It's not aeronautics. But what seperates the sportsmen/women from the casual recreation-seekers, is figuring out where the fish are and what they'll bite on.

Same goes for hunting, anyone can pull a trigger on a deer standing in front of them, ya know?

16. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I would only share info with fellow BOC members. :0a19:

17. fishsticks

fishsticks New Member

State:
    Oxford,Ohio
    I tend to keep my favorite spots between me an my fishing buddy...

18. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i bust my butt and spend alot of time looking for my spots,, ive learned things the hard way, i keep my mouth shut,, i dont even like showing my fishing buddy spots,, my favorite spot you have to have a canoe but i still dont talk..

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FYI: I will post exact GPS cords of all of Flathunter's "Secret" spots for a 5 gallon bucket of fresh shad! :smile2:

20. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have learned never to tell where I caught fish or where the good hunting is.
    Have lost some good spots when they sneak in on the landowners land and got caught and the place was closed.
    Bill