Do you keep a fishing logbook, what's in it?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mcseal2, Jun 27, 2009.

Do you keep a fishing log book?

1. Yes, I record my catches and important information

2. No, I do not keep records

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I started this spring keeping a journal of water conditions (temp, USGS flow & depth) and what I catch over 15lbs, and when and where. Just curious if anyone else was doing this, and what info you keep. Here is mine.

Date
    time
    weight
    water info
    bait
    where I caught it and what my bait placement was (current break, head of riffle etc)
    any notes I think of

Just curious if anyone else was doing this, and if so what info you keep.

Thanks, Heath

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I keep records on the back of pic's with the same info, along with the type of weather we were having( wind,clouds,rain etc...:wink:

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The one I keep has...

Body of Water
    Date
    Time of Day
    Barometric Pressure System Status(rising, falling, stable)
    Water Level (rising falling, stable)
    Moon Stage
    Cloud Cover
    Bait used
    Drifting or Anchored
    Tidal info ( when I'm fishing tidal rivers)
    Catch

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    good idea i never do, i would loose it like i do everything else,lol

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i just started keepin one this year, it's one of those little address books with a daily planner of the year, i only keep a count of the flatheads i catch, weight,location, that way i can keep a tally of how many i caught all year, think i'm up ta 34 for the year:cool2: i keep it with me in my fishin backpack so i can write it down after i cpr, i usually only take a pic if its over 14-15#

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tend to remember what, where and when. Every river or lakes have its quirks. But a standard patterns work almost any place.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have keep a log book for years with the same info that PIP has listed. I find it interesting to look back over it for a starting point in a new season/year.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve kept logs for years now.Amazing ,the stuff it brings back to mind even just 1 or 2 years back.Here,s what I record.1.Day and date.2.body of water I fished.3.Air temperature.4,Water temperature.5.Water conditions-High or low,Above or below average current speed,clarity,any other stuff-like if gates on a dam are open.6.who fished with me.7.What we tried for bait.8.What we caught.9.Any other oddball stuff that caught my eye that day.10.What hours we fished.These end up being a treasure trove after awhile!:wink:

9. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    No, I don't keep a log, but I do take plenty of pictures and have a pretty good memory of when, where, and how. Now what else was I gonna tell you? Mmmmmmmm! Anyway! Good luck and good fishin'.

10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I don't keep one I try to get pics but a few trips out forgot the camera and one trip I was so busy with fish didn't have time to get pics of every fish that was a good night:wink:

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I dont but I think Im going to start!

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive got a log of trips from when I first started scouting spots. Location, weather, time of day, bait...I even log how I was feeling on a particular outting (was in a negative mood because the fish were not bitnig or because the company I had with me:smile2:). I also have information for my boat in there too so I can track the hours I put on the boat and motor.

13. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i have date:
    time:
    species:
    water clarity and depth:
    cover & structure:
    bait:
    outside & water temp:
    body of water:
    top or bottom:
    total hrs fished:

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to but i havent been. i should really start again in mine i inlude the following info:
    date
    time of catch
    moon phase
    weather (cloudy, clear, windy, etc)
    weight of fish
    set-up (what kind of line, sinker, hook)
    bait
    depth
    moving water or still
    and then any other little tidbts i can think of at the time

15. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I have always wanted to keep one and have actually made one up to keep but in all the excitement I forget about it.

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    99% of my fishing is in lakes.

When I first started, the "bait thing" seemed much more important than I consider it now. I also did a good job of recording depth, which really taught me about......specific locations & types of structure. Also recorded time(s) of catches, which taught me about patterns when combined with location/structure.

Moon phase, barometric pressure, and wind direction have been the 3 factors most influential to my results on the water.

Most of my catfishing is in the warmer months, and I've been guilty of not recording something that should be considered one of the most important factors....water temperature. Water temp could be argued as being more influential than sunlight.

17. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I don't keep records but I know I should. Sometimes it just being in the right place at the right time.

18. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I just remember where I catch and when I catch,never have any luck on the full moon though.

19. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've kept a log book on paper and my computer since 2004. The paper log is something that I write notes and comments on if something cool happened while I was fishing, or putting a phone number down. The computer log is just on "notepad" with the date, location, type and number of fish, and bait used. I have it split up by month and year to date total.

this is what I have YTD....I mostly fish for a couple hours after work each morning....it doesn't look as good because the notepad is a lot wider than this area I'm posting on. I'm going fishing in a half hour if it stops raining and hope to get my 100th bass for the year today. I've got a jointed Rapala rigged up ready to go.

July 1 2009 John Nolen 8 LMB, 1 SMB, 1 Perch Bluefox Spinner and
    4 Bluegill, 3 Rockbass Mini Plugs
    1 4# sheephead

July 3 2009 John Nolen 3 LMB 2 Rockbass green mini spinnerbait

July 4 2009 UW Union 1 white bass, 2 rockbass bluefox spinner
    1 SMB bluefox spinner
    1 SMB, 1 northern aqua Rapala Fat Rap

July 5 2009 UW Union 1 3# LMB, 15# catfish Rapala Jointed 4# line
    1 rockbass dropshot brown worm/anise

went fishing down by the Union. I lost my X-Rap Rapala on the first fish, missed a couple more fish, caught a 3# LMB, then spent about five minutes fighting a 15# catfish on 4# line, jointed Rapala, and no net. I had to lip it with my "boca" grip and let it go. The highlight of my 1 week off from work.

July 7 2009 UW Union 1 sheephead 1 SMB bluefox spinner/kickin catfish scent

July 11 2009 UW Union 1 Smallmouth bass Rapala X-Rap

--------------------------------------------------------------------

YTD Bass 97 (78 LMB, 6 SMB, 12 Rockbass, 1 whitebass)

3 sheephead
    3 carp 9# 14# 17#
    2 northern pike
    1 perch
    4 bluegill
    2 catfish

1 trek bicycle

1 bicycle flag

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009