Do you homebrew?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sal_jr, Feb 28, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Anyone in BOC-land homebrew beer?

This past weekend since we got STORMED or Blizzarded (if thats a word) out of fishing- Ice hunks the size of desks were coming in on 8-10 foot rollers, busting up against marquette bay's seawall, flying 20 feet in the air and crashing on the pier... not quite the thing you'd want to dodge whilst fishing for whitefish.

In lieu of NOT fishing, my brother showed me how to make beer. (a fair trade in my book) We went through a scotch creme ale recipe and it is now burping away in an airlocked carboy in my "wife's office", now known as "MY brewery". LOL (until she gets home from visiting her mom this sunday, then the contents of room will transform from "wife's office" into "the reason for OUR heated discussion", then possibly "my new sleeping quarters/brewery".)

But lets not borrow worries from the future, and besides, thats irrelevant.... We're here to talk beer.

Who brews?

How long have ya done it, what advice can you give, what suggestions or shortcuts can you offer?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Never brewed myself, but, have tasted some pretty interesting home brews.

How'd the wifes BAR exam go?

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    "How'd the wifes BAR exam go?"

Tony, im answering that in a post all its own....

Any homebrewers out there???? Chime in! Whatcha do?

4. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    i have brewed up 3 batches of beer.. making your own beer takes TLC and also it's nice cause you make it for your own taste. They if you need any help getting rid of it just let me know.. a scotch creme ale recipe sounds good for the cold days in the coming spring

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Sal, I have been brewing for about 10 years now. The one thing to keep in mind is sanitation. Everything has to be super clean. You will be the suprised in the differnce in taste you will get from equipment that is just clean versus equipment that is sanitized. It is a lot of fun and cost effecient. I can do 5 gallons (2 and a half cases) of Irish stout for about 25 bucks versus 8 bucks a 6-pack of Guiness.

There are several books on the subject but 2 great ones are The New Comlete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian and Brewing Quality Beers, The Homebrewers Essential Giude Book by Byron Burch. They break down the different styles, equipment, and techniques. If you stick to ales, you can have a drinkable beer in as little as 3 weeks with lagers taking 2-3 months or more. Both books have some good recipies for full extract, extract-grain, as well as all-grain brews.

Good luck with the homebrew and let us know how the first batch turns out. Let me know when you have questions, and trust me, you will have LOTS of questions at first.:p

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    That's one thing my brother REALLY hammered again and again was keeping a sterile enviornment.

Here's where I sit equipment-wise:

my first purchase this weekend was The New Comlete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd edition by Charlie Papazian. My bro insisted on it, and promptly got pi$$ed at me when he looked at it cause he said the 3rd edition was WAAAY better than his 1st edition. I read it once on Monday. Im gonna read it probably 3 or 4 more times to get it all concrete in memory.

I have 4 carboys
    2 airlocks
    75 empties (25 more when I empty my brother's brew one at a time)
    one bottle capper
    1000 caps
    Hygrometer
    big ole notepad

Later this week Im going to go get

2 tubs (one for Sterilizing and one sugar-mixing before bottling)
    6 feet of hose
    2 more airlocks
    more barley
    more hops
    more cloth bags
    a bottle and carboy cleaner
    bottle and carboy brushes

Would you add anything to this list????

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I use a dedicated pot for brewing. I also use a mesh bag for the hops but you can sue a fine strainer instead. You are on the right track. Now I have to go out and buy a new book, mine is 2nd edition.:rolleyes:

8. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Yup! Tried it a number of years ago. It was very interesting if you can call what my friends said was a complete failure interesting. I drank it. Didn't want to throw it out! Maybe again some day.:)

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i dont personally brew but my family owned and still owns whinery's in Kansas City and make rootbeer cream soda and of course whine and beer.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    you guys are way too sophisticated for me .
    i was told how to make watermelon wine and it exploded
    after several days in a closet.
    ex girl friend wasnt as playful as she normally was for a day or two:rolleyes:
    what went wrong?:confused: :confused: :confused:
    should i have used a bigger balloon on top of the gallon jug????
    why doesnt women have as good of a sense of humor at times like this?:p
    i thought the little pink specles went good with everything of hers in the closet . at least everything matched.;)