Do You Have one of these?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Sunbird, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I recently had the priviledge of using an Innerflow rod from Cabela's. I really liked it! Have any of you ever used one or have one? Here is a description as given by Cabela's.

"Innerflow rods eliminate stress points and broken guides by doing away with conventional rod guides. Instead, the line runs directly through the graphite rod composite blank, creating a perfect fighting arch. Great for fishing bottom bouncers, trolling crankbaits and downrigging. Convenient two-piece design fits in your boat's rod locker. Includes line threader."--Cabela's website

Here is the online page. Cabela's Innerflow Rods

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had looked at these rods, but thought there might be some restriction in casting. Have you had any problems with casting?

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Sunbird,
    I have used and do reccomend them for fishing in Salt Water in COLD Conditions! This being said, mine are Penn Prion Innerline and are rated at 30 & 80lb. for use when I fished Norway. They will also Cast a lure Very Well when using Conventional/Baitcaster reels. We fished on many occaisions at depths up to 350ft. down and the rods made it a much easier task to fight fish and the current when bringing them from this depth. I have never laid hands on one of the Cabela's brand rods, but know that Mitchell also make one of these. As I said, I used them for Salt, but I do not see a reason why you would not be able to use them for Catfishing! JMHO!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I quite like the idea of these and have often thought that these rods should be the ultimate solution to stress points and line guide damage etc but there must be a reason why more rods aren't made this way.

One potential problem that always comes to mind is where does the water go that comes in with the line that must gather inside the blank and that it might be a big problem in winter if it freezes around the line.

You are the only guy I have ever heard of to use one so I guess so far they have 100% recommendation. That can't be all bad...W

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    metalman,
    Your Point is Well Taken! I found that the occaisional pointing of the rod towards the water performed this without even thinking about it. As I said, I used them when fishing Very Cold Temps with PowerPro Line and did not have an issue! If I am correct, the World Record Halibut was caught on one of these! This was also in Norway last year! The rods are Fantastic in my view and I too wonder why there are not more in use? Again, to you, a Well Made Point!!!

HOPPY4

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the Christmas gift idea!

7. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Joey the rod I used was for catfishing and performed like a champ. I could see no reason why I don't have 10 of them. Well, my wallet sees plenty of reason! :wink: The only thing I have been told was they don't do braid! Braid will saw it into pieces. I was using #30 mono and it was flawless. I order one and will see how it performs where I fish. I catch lot's of large fish,40-80lbs. I am going to spool it with 30lb mono and use it as a down rod for drifting Santee.

Also, I think the end piece of the rod needs to be checked often to make sure nothing is impeding the line. I got those two tips from the comment section on Cabela's site.

8. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Winston, I didn't think about that. I read all the comments posted on their site about the rods. I think only 2 were negative. I also found it interesting that the majority of fishermen using these rods were fishing for big fish. There were also several guides that had great things to say, you know their equipment gets abused! I am going to give it a try. If I don't like it Cabela's will take it back, I'm sure I will like it though.

9. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Jon I'll have to try one of these rods.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have the 6 ft M action, and use mine mostly as a bass pole, i seem to cast better with the braided line, i think i have 30# on it, i lost that little gadgit that u use to thread the line down the blank and haven't figured out what to use to make it easier to thread without it, maybe i'll test it out this spring for catty's, i've had mine a couple years now.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Lendog,
    What was said about using a Heavy Mono will work! Yet that possibility of using a Dawning needle from the wife will work as well! They do make a wire drop line for them as well, but why spend the extra money when these things are around you for FREE! JMHO!!!!

HOPPY4

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The only thing I know about this type of design is that Daiwa is making what they call their Interline Surf Rod. I know they have some type of a raised internal spiral design which keeps the water off the line. I would have to assume since it is a surf rod, casting distance should be no problem. Sounds like a nice concept, but unfortunately I know nothing more about this subject. Good luck.

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I got my rod today and it looks sweet! I didn't get the reel that I purchased to go with it. :sad2: I will have to wait until tomorrow I guess. I was tempted to take one of my okuma reels and put it on there and run down to the river. I will be patient, I am going Thanksgiving morning to catch some striper! That should be a great test for the new rod. I will let ya'll know how it performs. :big_smile:

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I went and did a little Thanksgiving fishing yesterday and took along my new rod and reel from Cabela's. The rod seemed akward at first without the eyelets. I rigged it up after it got warm enough to keep my hands out of my gloves for a few minutes. I placed it in the rod holder with a LARGE Gizzard Shad filled butterfly style and placed beside the other 8 rods. Guess which rod went down first? :wink: I was not the closest to it but Caleb, my friend's son, was and the fight was on! I watched the rod carefully as I inspected how it was handling this cat. It looked great and without even a hiccup there was a 20lb. blue in the boat!

It cast nicely and will be even more effective when I get the reel set up how I like it. I have 30lb mono on it and plan to leave it that way for now. It is a 8' MH rod. The tip is much more sensetive than I had thought but 2' down the rod there is plenty of backbone. My friend is a big striper fisherman and he said it would do great for that also, smaller line though! I love it so far.
    Lastly it is tough as well. I had leaned it against the boat when we got home as we cleaned out the boat. I forgot and was not looking when Tommy backed the boat under the shed. It got run over! :eek:oooh: It seems ok and shows no signs of damage. I am glad it was in his yard on grass, it would certainly have been ruined had it been pavement or concrete.

15. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Sunbird,
    This is just my.02 as I havent had any dealing with them, but I do build rods for a hobby and im always interested in new ideas, I would think they would cast like a dream and it looks like a really good concept, one side note I would keep a good eye on the line wear, the line looks like it comes in direct contact with the rod material "Graphite" and as far as I know there arent any rod eyes on the market that are made out of Graphite, usually much harder material like Caramics which prevent wear and protect the line. Would love to here how it holds up long term, Keep us posted:wink:
    Thanks
    Puddle

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks John! The line may come into contact as you said when the rod is loaded up. I will have to put a long term eval on it. I do believe that using braid will damage the rod over time or a long fight with a big fish could infact cut grooves in the tube. I have 30lb. mono and plan to keep it that way.
    Do you sell the rods you make? I too, play around with, the "art" of making them. Currently I have one that we have mounted a circut board in the butt and it has a clear tip with LED's in it. I am working on an audible alarm as well but haven't found what I like. I would love to make them fulltime if we can come up with a great design. Like I said, I play!:roll_eyes::smile2:

17. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Jon,
    I dont sell them yet, ive been building for about a year, and im still trying to get it down to a art , Its my intention to start a side buisness up building them, Ive been putting a shop together for the last 6 months or so, wood lath, power wrapper, multi rod dryer, etc ,, Puddle Jumper Custom Rods :wink:

The idea of the light in the tip sounds great, What are you using to "trip" the light, micro switch?? Man that would be perfict for night fishing,,,let me know how it works,,,Also are you going to try to make the custom rod show in High Point in Feb?? Looks like its going to be a great show.. Maybee we can hook up.
    .:big_smile:

John...

18. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    John sounds like you are pretty serious about the rod making! I want to make them for myself and friends mostly. I play around with to much different stuff to ever get hooked on one thing. I am also about to start building another airplane. I miss flying, and it's way too expensive to rent planes. I didn't know about the show and am not planning on going. I do want to come to the gathering that is being worked out for April at Westpoint Lake. I just like to fish! :big_smile::big_smile:

Oh, the rod, It currently has no switch in it, but we are looking at motion sensor types and a chemical reaction sensor. I wish I could explain the chemical one better but it is a secret a friend is working on. We used a tiny mercury switch we made and it worked well but is not logically reproducible. I would rather not play with Mercury at all! The circuit boards are new so we are having to back track on some stuff to match them. They play music as well! It is all a big headache some days and seems endless everyday. We have been working on this for years. It is a hobby and a great way to waste time and money! :confused2:

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    W-O-W, Jon! I had NO idea you were doing all that stuff! Cool! Switching gears, this is the first time I ever heard of these type rods. I LOVE the concept! Just too bad you can't use braid with them as that is what I use exclusively. :sad2:
    Bill in SC

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill, I also have a 3 year old a 17 month old and another due in March! I don't know where I find the time to do anything! There is nothing on Cabela's site about these rods that says not to use braid. It is just my opinion and that of a few others. You could try I suppose or maybe even ask Cabela's themselves what they think. It is their rod and if you have ever bought stuff from them before you know how they are about keeping the customers happy.