Do you guys mix anything with chicken liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by General, Jun 11, 2006.

1. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    do you guys mix anything with the chiken liver?
    -josh-

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I put chicken livers in my chicken hearts to keep blood on them but I dont fish with livers.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i cure my livers by covering them in salt and garlic powder and lettin em sit in the sun for about 4 hours. they stay on the hook WAY better

4. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I had a phamplet from NAFC that many tips for fishing and one was to cure the livers in brown sugar mainly to toughen them up

5. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    well i dont know if this means anything but i spilled some fruit punch in my chicken liver container last night and well...it didnt help them stay on any better but damn did those cats bite. Could of been anything thing though. I just like to think it was because of my accident. Keeps me happy.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't, if I am using liver I use it right out of the carton.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    If ya'll sign up for the National Gathering all of this can be answered and you can see firsthand how it is done!

8. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    tried cuered and raw side by side. raw won hands down. the turtles really seamed to like the garlic but different baits for different lakes.

9. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I mix a little egg & milk then add the chicken liver then add a little flower then fry!!LOL:big_smile:

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I don't use them but my wife does. I have to go with a good sprinkle of garlic powder and let them cure for a couple of days. This method helps them stay on the treble hook longer and the "fiddlers" realy pound the bait. I don't mind taking them off as long as she's catching fish. She caught a five pounder on them once and since then there is no other bait.
    Don

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I generally use cut bait to get the bigger cats, but when there are no bites off that I will go back to liver to get the little ones just to be catching SOMETHING. When I do use liver though, I use it straight from the package, as is.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Chicken livers huh? My recommendation is garlic salt... not just a sprinkle... salt the mess out of them and let them sit for a couple of hours! For some reason Cats just love that garlic taste.

In response to the fruit punch spill - I have done a TON of reasearch on fishing baits and new things to try and supprisingly enough Red kool-aid, cherry or strawberry jello have come up numerous time, especially for chicken livers and dough baits!

I have not used these baits enough to tell personal stories, but from what I have read and testemonials I have heard you are both golden!!!

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I normaly use cut or live bait, but if i do use livers i cut a little peice of pantyhose off of the main part, put the liver in it, tie it off and put it on the hook, that way you get all the blood and everything from the raw liver but its darn near impossible for them to get it off with out hooking themselves.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  15. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I caught a 38 pound blue on chicken livers with garlic juice on them, I think it was 38 pounds, heck it may be 42 pounds by now though.hehehe No really I did catch a 38 pound blue on the liver with garlic juice. If you want your livers to stay on better, try to find some rooster livers, they are tough as the dickens. Most bait shops carry them.

16. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    i mix the bait mate catfish attractant (red in color) in my livers gives them Lil extra smell...works for me

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

try this I put anise extract are banana extract are vanilla extract are sometimes a combo of any two. plus garlic sometimes I even put in some shrimp are even peanut butter.

18. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I use fresh chicking livers mixed with alot garlic saltthen freeze them.Then thaw them out and use.

19. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I take the livers and cut them to the size I want, then put them in a ziplock bag. Add some vanilla extract and garlic salt or powder. Shake it up and u are ready. Works for me anyway.

20. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Anise oil! sometimes garlic oil