Do you get spooked fishing at night alone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 23, 2010.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess this is more for the bank fishermen, that have to walk along way to get to prime areas...spots that are far off the road and surounded by woods, no house within a mile or so.

I dont actually get scared, but I get spooked a little, every little sound is magnified...Sounds that if you had a fishing buddy you would not even pay atttention to.

I carry a gun also while fishing alone, but I still get spooked, and dont really enjoy fishing at those type of places alone at night.

I know call me a wuss.

2. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i been spooked plenty of times but i carry a super black hawk in magnum trim quite the hand cannon
    i wouldnt call ya a wuss

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hell Yes..... especially on dark nights......

I was in my boat one night alone when a marine helicopter came over about 3 ft of the water...scared the you know what out of me....

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never been afraid of it. Only time I ever got spooked good was when A bull elk bellowed close to me night fishen for monster trout up at 11mile in colorado. I guess being a night owl has it advantages. I got so used to being up @ night working graveyard shifts.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have been spooked a couple of times, but i usually carry a pistol with me everywhere i go like that. i like fishing alone, and sometimes at night, but everyonce in a while i have an incident that will make me get a little suspect of what is coming...

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a tree branch fall and hit a guard rail one time! the damn thing sounded like aliens landing, lmao after I figured out what it was. There's nothing like casually looking over to get your water bottle and having a coon or a beaver staring you in the face either, lol I get surprised sometimes and jump a little, on the inside it feels like two feet, but in reality its more like a jerk. I get afraid every time I go fishing though, afraid my line will break, my nets not big enough, my camera wont work, stuff like that. In reality, theres nothing out there in the dark that's not there in the daylight.:smile1:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jack....I used to fish alone at night when I was younger and felt a little more invincible. But after 2 back surgeries....I move pretty slow now-a-days and packing gear and all the extras is just out of the question these days. I fish more friendly areas now, which I can drive my vehicle to. Hop out and hop back in a flash if need be. Lucky I have a couple good spots I can pull up too and fish.....or I'd just be up the creek without a paddle.

And yes.....fishing alone at night is kinda spooky. I've heard some weird sounds that would make the hair stand up on your neck. I even seen someone or (something) trying to sneek up on me years ago in the dark around midnight....moving around from tree to tree....I just caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and something or someone quickly stepped behind a tree. Needless to say I was freaked out. I just grabbed my rods and bucket and took off running down the trail that lead out. My lines was stripping out for a couple hundred yards through the woods and when I got to the car all my line was gone....but I didnt even care. I was gone!

I did notice that when I got to the car....there wasn't any other cars nearby. So whatever this thing was....it didnt drive in! It walked back there. I never went back alone....and to this day, I dont fish at night alone! I would rather fish with someone who talked all night and never shut up than to listen to the voices in my head.....or the noises nearby.....lol. Packing a little heat is always a good idea.

And now...I've been reading about the strange creature of LBL....The areas I fish. Its all over the www. I'm still kinda freaked out about it. Always keeping one eye looking over my shoulder brother. Who knows what lerks through the woods at night? I dont want to know.....lol.

I know call me a wuss.[/QUOTE]

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I've never been to scared to fish at night. Especially in my younger years. Now I just tend to look out for a coon coming close, that may be rabid. Also look out for rats at night at a few spots I fish. Had the same squirrel at a one location that used to climb inside my one backpack all the time. Ever since the 1st time he climbed inside it and found a half a loaf of bread in there and took it out and took it beside a tree. To tear it open and eat it. Every time I took it back. It would only take him a few minutes to come back and grab it again. Even though my pack was only about 3 feet from me...

9. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    there has been several times i have been spooked. me and a friend could swear we was being folowed once and we was way back in gods country. dont know what or who but at night like that it makes ya think. my first scare at night was coon huntn. but then u just relax listinin to the wind and become paart of ur surrondings. the way i look at it whatever is out there is just as spooked of me as i may be of it. hopefully thinking that way will work to my advantage if somethin funky ever did happn.:alien:

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never really thought about it. I started coon hunting at night by myself when just a boy. Plus I worked mostly alone in the dark for most of 34 years, so it really doesn't matter. However I have heard of women turning into vampires and men into werewolves but only up on the Scioto and Hocking rivers. :cowboy::cowboy:
    BTW. The worst azz kicking I ever had was over scaring a guy. In fact he kicked my butt and then kicked it again. :doctor::doctor:

11. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    scared? no. spooked? yes lol. dont worry jack if you need some one to chase them flats with im your man!

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I def. get spooked fishing by myself. Cant tell ya why but it never bothered me when i was younger but the older i get the bigger sissy I become. I had guys, and animals and the occasional unexplained noise startle me. After that i go to pieces. I will stay but its always in my mind.

13. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    ive been spooked a few times, 2 summers ago me and two buddies had a pack of coyotes stalk us and come within 25 yards of us till we heard them snarling that was crazy, another night we had aircraft flying over really low with lights on facing straight down. then the infamous beaver doing the back stroke down the river that ill never live down LOL

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    God, I love watching bevers swim at night it is so cool..But what scares me is whe you dont know there there threr and out of know where BANG BANG BANG!!!Scares the CHIT out of me every time!!lol

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I carry a Springfield XD pistol in .45acp 13+1 in the chamber plus two extra 13 round magazines. 40 rounds in total. No problems. :smile1:

16. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Silver bullets ? :laugh1:, a couple cloves of garlic, a wood stake and a cross:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

17. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    If you have never got spooked fishing at night, you must not go catfishing much. The more times you are on the water at night the bigger the chance of the unexpected. If your pistol is in your hand, YOU HAVE BEEN SPOOKED!:laugh1:

18. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Nope dont get scared fishing at nite by myself. At my age I could care less if something came out and ate me lol. But I know it wont happen to dang ugly to dang old and tough even the imaganary bigfoot wouldnt want me so nope. No reason to be afraid fishing at nite. Now a person can be startled by say a coon or something getting into you things or stepping and having a snake there sure but it is rare thing if you ask me. I get more startled on the way home with the idiots out driving that have been drinking all nite.

19. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Ive been fishing alone at night for 30 years and don't get spooked any more. Most of the noises I hear at night I have learned to identify. I like when I take younger people with me and different kinds of owls scream. I don't carry a gun with me, the only thing around here I would need it for is wild people. I prefer to take someone with me these days for the company and to help carry stuff when bank fishing, but if no one wants to go I head out by myself. Like someone else said, I am not as young as I used to be and have a bad back and like to take someone for those reasons. My biggest fear is that I'm by myself and hurt my back to where I can't walk out. That is where the game plan left at home comes in, my wife always knows where I will be fishing that night.

20. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Now there is a scary statement. Maybe if you are unnerved to the point of pulling a gun at a sound. Well, maybe you should consider not fishing at night .. Have you thought of the dangers plus the legal consiquences of a loaded gun in the hands of a man who may shoot at a strange sound, wow, I don't think I would want to be around.