Do you folks think we might be "Over Doing" it some on equipment?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Sunburn, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    ELKIN, N.C. - David Hayes' granddaughter just ask him to hold her Barbie rod and reel while she went to the bathroom. He did. And seconds later he landed the state record channel catfish at 21 pounds, 1 ounce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Alyssa's father had bought the pink Barbie fishing rod for Christmas and she had caught a few bluegill before her grandfather hauled in the catfish.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported the catch Aug. 5 in eastern Wilkes County has been certified as a record by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Hayes and his granddaughter have been fishing in the pond behind his house since she was big enough to hold a pole.

Hayes said his granddaughter worried he would break her rod. He landed the 21-pound fish on a 6-pound test line. It was 32 inches long, 2 inches longer than the rod.

I got a pretty good laugh out of this when I saw it.

2. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I saw that on the news this morning, That is pretty amazing. I wonder if he or the granddaughter is the record holder, after all it was caught on her pole!!!

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good point:cool2:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the USFG states the person hooking the fish cannot have any help in landing the fish. Just the Granddaughter touching the pole would have been enough to invalidate the record. Since he was awarded the record, I would assume it was done in accordance with fish and game regulations and he had to assistance in landing the fish. LOL

5. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    thats an awesome story... maybe i should leave my 6'-7' rods at home and get me a buzz lightyear setup? :tounge_out:

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's just too damned funny!:smile2:

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I'll have to agree too funny hehee!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    You just never know when the big ones are going to hit!! I wonder how much free advertising "Barbie" has gotten off this article.................. I know there is at least 10 threads dedicated to it!

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I might be able to kill a grizzly with a 22 but that don't mean I'm gonna leave my 500 S&W at home when I go bear hunting.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Well I'm gonna continue to over do it an keep my rods an reels a slight bit bigger then a barbie pole!

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is a very good point. I think I'll stick with my heavy gear!!:eek:oooh:

12. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well I will have to agree with you guys. The record that was broken was set last August by me, I was fishing like all of you for big blues and flats, but a 20 lb. channel hit. Trust me there was no worries of it getting off, Mr. Hayes was fishing for gills and hooked a 21 pound channel that is definately a big difference than if the little rod hooked a 55 lb flat. So, there is nothing out there that can make more since than being prepared for the biggest fish that you are after, and also unless you are going to be fishing on the dock of your back yard pond the Barbie pole is way out of its league.