Do you fish the flathead catfish spawn?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, May 29, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Usually from mid June till mid July I cant buy a flathead..I always think why do I even fish this time.

Do you guys fish the spawn, and success?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My buddy Roger might as well hit the spawn hard, he wont notice the difference from the prespawn:big_smile:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Usually I go more after Channels. By the time the Flatties are in the spawn the Channels should be about done & feeding up. I'll still try for flatties but have more luck with channels. The flatties aren't far away at all from being on the nests, some probably are. Gonna try to find a few tonight though.:big_smile:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do you guys think the females feed first while the male are guarding the nest ?

-Jim-

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks alot there dear friend...you're a real boost for my confidence! lol I remember a couple yrs ago, this guy couldn't buy a flathead so i invited him to fish with me and got him on some small flatheads. After that he tore em up. All i want is a little help!!! :confused2::smile2:

6. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i my self only get dinks till about aug. and then i sometimes make up for the lost time :wink: good thread

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ah yes I remember that year well, I dont think I caught a flathead till August, all you need is one decent fish to turn your luck around, wait till August it will happen!

8. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know up here on the GMR they are close to spawned out because the water is in the mid 70's and most of the fish I catch are Shovels and shovels start spawning around 68 and will spawn out at 75 or so. I've caught only 1 fish out of my last 6 with eggs. I do catch most of my fish from late april to late june but I do seem to catch big ones 20-30 lb range all months during the summer. May is my hardest month to fish the GMR because water is at spawn temp during this time. Late may and June they are spawned out and feeding again. Here is an article I found online at a good website.

Channel and blue catfish spawn at 70 to 84 degrees, but 80 to 81 degrees is considered best. Flatheads spawn at 66 to 75 degrees.
    Not surprisingly spawning begins at different times in different latitudes, progressing from south to north.

Even more important to anglers in their home waters, spawning also may occur at different times within a single body of water. For example, nesting activity often begins first in the headwaters area of a large lake. Creeks and small streams above the lake warm first because they are shallow and fed by the first warming rains. These in turn feed larger streams flowing into the lake, and they, too, warm up before the deeper main lake. Thus, headwater reaches attract catfish early in the season and are among the best catfishing areas this time of year.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger, here is a boost for you, I think it was like 6 years ago, I was fishing with Mellon all the time...I never caught a flathead all year!!!!

You already got that beat, your big fish is coming.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think the flatheads have even started spawing on the scioto yet, the fish I have caught have had no spawning scars on them, usually most of the spawners are pretty marked up after the spawn.

11. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh no...is that next??!!??? What if i don't catch another one this year????

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you dont catch another one all year, we will talk all winter about how we are gonna tear them up next april..lol

You know you are gonna catch some nice ones, this year!

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I always thought the flats were after the channels and blues. Our Blues and channels are in spawning ( dark, beat up, skinny males )now with water temps around 75* ( rain keeps changing it ). Odd part is that I haven't seen any Flatheads near spawning yet. In fact, on our lake it's flathead time cause the blues have slowed down.

I don't know myself but I am interested in figuring it out. This is my 1st season of looking for Flats and I'm doing ok so far. Thanks for all the input guys...its a interesting topic for sure.

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We spent this past winter talking about tearing em up come april.....we gonna do this every year???? I'd at least like to spend some time comparing flatties we caught!!!! You know i could say look at this 7 lb flattie i caught and you could say nice but this is a real flattie.....:sad2:

15. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    I dont think they are in the Ohio yet but it is getting close.Dont have any tips for catching them during spawn its just a pain in butt.:confused2:

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey now.... Remember the spots we were always fishing? :wink: Those spots were horrible compared to the one spot your fishing now! :big_smile: In the fall when the water level is high enough and if I ever get the desire to fish back flowing my boat will be there in that spot! :0a23::0a22:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish for flatheads any time I'm on the water:wink: but end up catching more channels than flats it seams.:confused2: Guess maybe going to have to fish more and different spots with different cover