Do you fish structure or open water for big blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by 2quikmotorwerks, Oct 11, 2009.

Do you fish structer or open water for big blues

1. Deep water, no structure,holes etc etc

2. Deep water, with holes structure etc etc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    just curious to see what kind of water you guys and gals fish for big blues , i always thought they were a structure holding type of fish but was proven wrong this weekend when a 60lb blue came out fishing deep but no structure water

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I believe that any fish relates to some kind of structure 95% of the time. Weather it be wood rock rough bottom or deep holes ect. The only time I have caught big blues with basically no structure is when they are feeding at night on some sort of flat.
    Tom

3. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i have always looked for blues on river channels or other drop offs and deep holes

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish the river so I am obviously fishing open water. I fish the deepest water I can reach. I just believe big blues prefer deeper water. Good luck.

5. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    I have my best luck fishing the flats. I prefer 10 feet of water or less. I mostly fish with jugs. Caught a pb blue (43 lb) saturday on a jug in less than 10 feet of water at least 1/4 mile from the channel or timber.

The bait fish were there and so were the blues.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I target blues under barges and cover if the current is ok for drifting baits but other than that I pick a section of river that I have found to hold blues and hit the open water. Seems like every time I catch a blue over 20lbs it comes from a new spot. Maybe it changes in the winter but I just don't think blues sit on structure the way flats do. They like to get up and move around in the current.

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what I found this summer on the Ohio. I drift open water to get to the next tree or rock pile then hang on that. We will generally catch some fish in open water on breaks edge of channels etc. Then when I get to the piles on those breaks we will catch MULTIPLE fish holding on the rock or tree piles. This is the first year that we have done that and had allot of success. Most times. By far the best summer I have had.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish where I find Bait,,,,,,,,period.

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish structure around the river channel and deep pools in the lake. Largest have been caught on edges and humps near deep water or in deep water. This lake is only 25 ft deep though so your experiences may differ from mine.

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    deoends on the time of year to me...sometimes i find them heavy out in open water. sometimes they are holding to the structure...so i do them both

11. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    depends on everything water temp, cloudy. clear, full moon, and time of the year,,, If its clear or full moon and hot i fish close to structure. I'll try to cast my bait in the shade. Early spring I'll fish the holes in the old river channels. In late spring or early summer I'll go up river or behind a dam to catch blues. It just depends....

12. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i am kinda new with targeting big fish but i have always fished some type of structer and think that is the way to go. however when i say structer it can be just as simple as a 1 foot depression or a shelf that is holding bait. also if you are river fishing look for current brakes (not just on the surface) but under the water like a submerged bolder and fish the backside of it. look for ambush spots! hope this helps you out.:wink:

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    good question omar,i'm a flathead fisherman so i'm looking forward to the answers.like to try blues this year myself.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well, the smallest irregularity on bottom can be structure, so I fish structure. I mainly fish BAIT...find the bait, find the fish

15. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For me, on Lake Marion in SC, it seems to be both at the same time. Marion is a huge lake with a Gazillion stumps and trees. You can fish open water...and be in both, if that makes sense.

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    The majority of the year, it's some kind of structure like a drop-off or a sunken barge, or stumps. I've found out in a particular stretch of water I fish, that there is basicly 2 times of the year where I can catch them roaming the open water. When the temps get around 50 or so, the shad start schooling up and heading for a warm water discharge in the area. I've found a place about a mile or so from it where you can get into the blues big time following the shad. No cover or structure at all, the sidescan proved this, just plain featureless bottom. Happens in the late fall and spring. any other time of the year, you can't buy a bite. But there is always one constant, if the bait is there, then the cats are too.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Find the food source and you will find the game animal you are after, whether i's a big buck, fowl or a big old blue cat :cool2:.

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish it all. Winter time I love a hole with structure. But ive caught big blues in wide open water even suspended in the winter before. But winter time i prefer deep structure.

19. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Like mentioned before structure can be one stump, rock, or depression on a bare flat. I always fish structure and have done OK. I have one primary spot I like to go to as it has both barren bottom and structure. I move around with the trolling motor until I get a hit then try and anchor for a bit and see what happens. This could be a single fish moving from one spot to another or it may be a holding area. You dont know until you fish it for a while. I also change depth until I find them and try a replicate that same situation.

20. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i agree where there is baitfish there are biguns!