Do you fish into or against the wind?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mcwrestler, Feb 26, 2007.

Do you fish with or against the wind

1. Into the wind, the wind swept bank

2. With the wind at my back

3. Don't fish in strong wind

4. Wherever my main spot is irregardless

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am posting the poll to see what the consensus is on fishing on windy days. I always fish the windswept bank myself, it is just hard to discern between a bite and a strong gust at night. I have done the best when the wind has remained constant for many days.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Can't really let the wind dictate where and how I set up. This is due to fishin a tidal body of water. When the tide and wind are in different directions it sure makes for interesting anchorin. LOL!

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeh, I guess if you fish the tides you can't really choose. I fish a pond near my old school that is a decent size and holds some big ones between 20-40 and a few are in the 50. People catch them at eh local lakes and then release, along with the channels stocked every year. The lack of major stucture makes it tough so I have to fish the wind. I believe the bait move towards the wind swept bank, and I have read that before also, I think.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Fishing in the wind can make things more difficult, but it never stops me from going fishing. The direction makes no difference to me.

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I prefer the wind at my back, but it doesnt always mean that I fish that way. It does make it easier to cast though!:wink:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    In the 24 ft. toon you have no choice but to point into the wind when anchored. I fish out of the back of the boat so the wind is always at my back. One exception to this is if the current is stronger than the wind the I will be facing into the current. Another exception is drift fishing then we drift sideways to take advantage of the 24 ft toon and cover more ground.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Like Kenny said I will fish with the wind at my back most of the times. If its a light wind then I really dont care but a heavy one Ill want it at my back to cast easier.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    For my comfort, I fish with the wind to my back. But I've always had better luck when fishing into the wind.
    Will

9. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Some of my Best fishin has been WITH the wind!...I drift fish a lot!

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I nearly always fish with the wind in my face. On our local lake, the fish DO NOT bite when the wind doesn't blow. There is almost no vegetation in the lake, and the wind determines where the baitfish are. If the wind blows extremely hard for a few days from a certain direction, go to the bank where the wind is blowing into, and you're sure to catch fish. If the wind is out of the south (the wind is almost always out of the south here,) I'll go find a point that the wind is blowing across, or I'll find a spot where the wind is blowing bait directly into the bank.... boom, instant fish. I can demonstrate this anytime anybody wants to watch. Usually the sandbass are the most effected by the wind on our local lake, because of the ease that the minnow population is effected by the wind. I don't know if the minnows are blown into the bank, or if they are there feeding on all the junk being blown into the bank..... for whatever reason, they'll always be there. I'm gonna do some experimenting this year for the blues on our lake to see where they like to hang out in relation to the wind, but I would imagine they won't be far behind the sandies.

The first time I saw this technique was when I was a kid. My dad and I had been pestering a game warden to take us coyote hunting, but he kept putting us off until "the weather was right." One day, it was bitterly cold and the wind was roaring out of the north and we got the call. He said to dress like eskimos and meet him at his house in an hour. My dad asked what rifles to bring, and he said "Rifles? No, bring your catfishing gear!" We went to his house, he went and got his earthworms out of the barn, and we went fishing. We sat on a bank with the wind blowing in our faces, and the waves crashing into the bank so hard that there was ice all over the bank around us. We absolutely killed the cats that day. We caught fish after fish for hours on earthworms. That lesson stuck in my mind.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    From the bank when the wind has remained constant for many days. You need to fish the bank the wind is blowing into. Thats where the baitfish will be so thats where the catfish will be as well. This is true for lakes and reservoirs but in a river or below a dam with current flowing stick with holes and current seams and current breaks.

12. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is exactly what I have understood to be true. The wind creates a current that is slight and does not effect the baitfish, but it does effect the small organisms the baitfish feed on so they follow their food source, and the catfish and others go along also. At the pond I go to I will be catching some big ones and some small while going against the wind while people on the other side aren't even catching. It is easier to fish with the wind but more productive to fish against it. My 3 biggest catfish were caught on high wind days, winds sustained over 15 miles per hour. The weights were a 30lb Flat, a 27lb Flat, and a 24lb Blue. I also caught a 15lb channel on a windy day as well. The choppier the water the better the bite.

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I usually try to have it at my back, and keep the rod tips very low that way you get less gust on the rod itself.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Aren't two of the answers the same? If I am fishing from shore, I fish into the wind, if in a boat, with the wind. Regardless, in a lake we foller the wind that is blowin the bait which means with by sea agin if by land. In a river, nose to the current no matter from whence the wind blows.

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    The wind makes a positive difference on a lake, but not in my rivers - but it can make the mechanics more tricky! Wind against flow usually equals a blank for me!

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    like big george said the wind dont dictate my fishing iv caught fish with wind from every dirrection infact my biggest fish have been caught with wind out of the east

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I guess I should have mentioned I meant from the bank.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like some wind all the time but if I can I will fish with the wind in my face rather than at my back . The wind creates current which can push baitfish towards the bankresulting in a better bite ....sometimes

19. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The wind blows the plankton around and the cats follow the bait which are following the plankton. A good steady wind for a few days will stack up te bait and the cats will follow. They may stay for a day or so after the wind changes. This is when you want to find a cove or something that has the bait "penned" up. Then you'll slay 'em. good luck!

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    does the same hold true in the summer? I use this tactic for winter blues but have never fished for them in the summer, i always chase yella's then.