Do you fish in the rain?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jul 21, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I myself love to fish in the rain, lightning bothers me a bit but it's that feeling of pressure change that gets me goin! I love watching all the people rushing to get the he!! out of dodge :smile2: I don't know I think it's just a catfishing thing

"That is if I brought my rainsuit" LOL!!!!!

how do you folks feel about fishing in a good storm?:eek:oooh:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I don't know, I've never done it.:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also like the rain but i don't do lightning. Cloudy overcast days are much better than bluebird sky's in my opinion.

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    As you know, I have fished a few storms... I have no problem fishing in the rain...

I am under the impression that a rising barometric pressure causes a stronger bite with the catfish... any one else watch the barometric pressure?

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I think were gonna get wet tonight Chris! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I got my rain suit next to the door... bring on the rain!!!

7. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    rain snow neither of witch bother me just makes more room for me to fish in more spots when its crowded

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If I am already on the water and it is a light steady rain, then I will stay, otherwise I'm sitting in the house!

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The only things that keep me off the river are fog, ice, lightning, 90+ deg heat and floods. Anything else is fine...W

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Fishing in the what? Been so long since we had any of that stuff, forgot what it is.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Love the rain it's the lightning I can do without.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Lightning ain't a problem, Dave...just take a couple of golfers with you.:smile2:

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Fishing in Rain is No Problem at all! Although , when the Lighting Starts, I am forced to STOP! Most of my rods are Graphite and SCIENCE comes to mind! Lighting Rods and Wet hands are not SAFE! All other forms of weather are accepted and OK, but I do not like to set-up in the rain!! It makes for a misrable time during the drying out process. JMHO!!!

HOPPY4

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like the rain, keep the others inside........some of my best fishing has been when it is raining. I dont like the lightning or the hail....lol....I load up when it starts. I had a buddy killed at a pond fishing....so I am pretty terrified of lightning.

I remember a few years back I was out of fish, and wanted some for the freezer and me and a buddy went, it was snowing about a week before x-mas. In 2 hours we had 4 fish weighed about 50 lbs.

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah I'll fish in the rain. I'll fish in a snow storm for walleyes.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I must be a genetically different fishermen. :tounge_out: High water and rains = no bites (at all)... for me.

Over and over I look at my notes and see that in nearly everykind of fish I've tried from trout to panfish to bass to cats. I don't catch squat in rain (esp. heavy rain) and high water.

to each his own.

One would think after after months and months of consistantly awful fishing in the rain/or high water.. I would learn to stay away ... I guess I'm mental:tounge_out:.

So the answer is two fold
    YES I fish in the rain
    NO I don't catch (anything) in the rain

and water level on a river is more important than actual weather. so If the local river is going up (dam releases,etc) is just as good as raining.

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Rain is no problem, unless it's absolutely pouring. Lightning, on the other hand, I DO NOT do. That's God's way of saying, "Time to go home, Deb!!".:wink:

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    back in my crappie fishing days if it was raining my boat was on the lake seems like fishing is good in rain but if its lightning my butts outa thear:embarassed:

19. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I will fish in the rain, however like the rest of the guys say, if there is lightning I head in or for cover. My boat has a bimini top so even if it is pouring rain I am not directly in it. I sorta enjoy fishing the river in the rain, kinda peaceful and relaxing.

Bill

20. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If there's a near 100% chance of rain I won't go. I won't let a little chance of rain stop me though. I always keep some cheap disposable ponchos in my tackle box in case it rains. I can also check the radar on my phone to see if rain is coming, how bad it is, and which direction it is moving, and it's saved my butt several times.