do you feed deer?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by river scum, Sep 30, 2009.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have a question for those that do or are thinking about it. if we feed deer chemicals to make them grow bigger what is that doing to our children that eat them? does anyone really know whats in this stuff? will your grand kids sprout horns? lol just a thought:crazy:

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've already got some horny grandkids!! LOL :wink:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Excellent JC. I got a 15 year old boy about the same way.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nope. only thing i feed them is lead. i like it natural. the horns mean very little to me.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nearly all of the additives for growing bigger bucks ,are natural vitimins and minerals,Only difference is supplementing them means the deer are free to have more of them. At any rate its" illegal to bait or entice any wild animal by the act of placing grain,feed etc for the purpose of harvesting." Here in my home state.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    most states are like that Richard. thats the way it should be. screw sitting watching a feeder 200yrds away, thats jjust not hunting in my book.

7. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to plant a feed plot.That seemed to work well.never used a lick or anything.
    smokey

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have an automatic feeder and a food plot that i maintain year round and i have some good deer feeding there.ones a 12 point with bout an 19 inch spread.only thing is my lease is 80 miles one way and its to long a shot for me.i like seeing deer here at home so i dont hunt these.

9. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have a farm in SE Mo. I maintain a couple food plots for deer and turkeys. Two acres of oats (planted in early aug.) that will provide grazing all winter and spring, and about an acre 100 yds from the house that is turnips - brascius (however its spelled) - chicory - ect. This lets me watch "critters" whenever I want.

I have trail cameras and "FEED" cracked corn May thru July to suppliment when the youngsters are getting ready to start. makes good pictures.

I have a salt lick that has been maintained for 20 yrs and is used all the time.

I don't like deer meat so I don't hunt them but my two sons do.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Id be more worried about what they are feeding our beef......

11. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Exactly... and our chickens.

I have lived in Michigan and Kansas where baiting is legal. It was hard to swallow after growing up in Indiana where it's illegal. But in the states that are legal everyone does it. The deer will just leave your property and go next door for a free meal. I eventually gave in Michigan because the in laws had the hunting land and you were expected to pitch in for feed if you wanted to hunt. Then I moved to Kansas and didn't use bait for a while. A friend (non-hunter) who had 80 acres I hunted asked me to build a tree house for his kids. I said I'd do it for free if I could use it during hunting season. It was 10 min from the house, great for rainy/windy days and an easy after work hunt. I set up a 55 gallon feeder and harvested turkey and deer with my bow for meat. It was my guaranteed full freezer hunting spot. No mature bucks would show up. They knew the deal. I would seek mature bucks elsewhere. Now that I'm back in Indiana we have food plots, plant buckwheat and leave standing corn or beans at our farm down South. No minerals. That along with select harvesting has almost doubled the size of antlers. Body size has gone way up. The one in my avitar is a 2.5 year old and 253 lbs on the hoof. 10 years ago we were lucky to see a six pointer beyond the ears at that age. We have also gone from a 5+ to 1 to almost a 2 to 1 ration of does to bucks. QDM is what it's all about. I'm rambling ....

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, I feed deer. I feed them to my family!!:wink::smile2:

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i dont feed the deer. i think if the deer get accustomed to feeding them in a certain area they will keep comming back to that area even weeks after removing the food. making it a not so challenging hunt in my eyes

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pretty much all the food you get at resterants and the super markets are filled with more junk than you can imagine. I try to buy the natural or organic stuff. Thants one thing I have wondered about the deer they are out there eating crops that have been sprayed with every chemical known to man and then we eat them. All the water they drink in the creeks are full of run of grass fertilizers and other junk. So good point, I really don't want to feed the deer on my place all that stuff. I may plant a food plot or two but I am not going to spray it with round up and fertilizers all year.

My 2 cents

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Exactly!!!!:smile2:

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We're trying out "yet another new product" as a food supplement. It's the Greens Enraged. It's actually dried, finely ground greens, along with some soybean & wheat pieces, plus other additives. It has a great sweetish smell, & actually doesn't taste bad either! (That's right, I tried it!) You sprinkle it over your corn, or whatever other feed you're using. We just started it this weekend; I'll keep ya posted on how it works!:wink:

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would if I had time and travel money and well money ! 3.5 hours one way to the farm...So I just feed the lead .:wink:

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we had deer eating our corn and they tasted great and were very healthy...also ahd deer in our jalapenos...you could actually taste the difference..seems additives being over used COULD have the same effect on taste, as far as affecting the children(or adults) that eat it...im in the dark

19. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Roxie - you need to test that then you can send me some here in Arkansas and I will try it out. There has been some good points made here. YES - I feed the deer! But, the things you find in the supermarket today is a lot worse. They feed cows, chickens, turkey's and other critters things that are not natural to make them grow faster and produce more eggs and such.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Newton, I agree with ya about what is being fed to what WE eat!!:eek:oooh: Here's an update on the "greens"; we put out corn last week & sprinkled handfuls of the Greens Enraged over it. We went back yesterday, & had NO corn or greens left. So, I put out more corn & greens yesterday. The friend I had with me kept "getting into the bag, sniffing, sampling", etc! She's a mess! She kept saying, "this would make a good tea"!!
    Our deer season (rifle) opens Saturday, so my husband & I are going to spend a week at our camp. I'll give you an update when we get back on how it does, because we're planning on putting out some in piles.:wink: