do you ever lose the desire to fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Being a catfishing machine most of my life, willing to walk miles and miles to reach good holes on the river, I find myself not caring if I fish anymore this year.

I dont know if it's the back surgery I had or what...I am back to work now, I am certainly not 100 percent but I am well enough to fish.

Last weekend my mind told me to go, but my heart just was not in it.

I get tired of fishing alone, but that used to not bother me, it seems I just dont have the energy it takes to prepare for a flathead trip, or the heart right now.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anything I do in excess becomes a chore after a while, even fishin'. Then, when a rod slams down, I forget about it! :smile2:
    Bill in SC

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you just need to step back and take a different look at the whole situation Jack. You have dealt with a lot, but you are upset over some of the reasons I almost walked away from a couple years back.. im gonna send you my number, give me a call bro... rollo

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, I have spent thousands of dollars this year alone on gas acording to the budget queen I married, had at least 7 big major trips to the Ohio river without a bite, let alone a fish, Another dozen skunkings on the GMR and that doesnt count the money/effort involved with bait, scouting, getting the boat ready, fixed, add new stuff for it, upgrading tackle, etc.
    All that and only 6 flatties this year, 0 blues,and I will admit, a bunch of channels but in the last 3 months, I bet I have less then 10 channels in 20 trips. Did I mention I got 3 softshell turtles for my effort last night??

Bottom line, Do I know how you feel??, yup, everytime after one of these horrible trips, I swear Im selling all my shit and take up finger painting...:eek:oooh:

Then I wait a few days and start the whole process all over again, Im a glutton for abuse since I get all pumped up, then have the terrible letdown, again and again. It makes me grouchy, depressed and real dick to be around, I have become MR. Negitive.

I live for the up cycle , I am addicted to fishing......:wink:

Salmonid, who feels your pain

5. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    IF CATFISHING IS IN YOUR BLOOD THEN IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY. YOU MIGHT NEED TO TRY DIFFERENT SPOTS OR DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES IN ORDER TO KEEP IT NEW. I DON'T WANT TO SAY TRY FOR DIFFERENT FISH, BECAUSE THATS MY BIG PROBLEM. MAYBE BOOK A TRIP OUT OF STATE THIS WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO. YES I GET BUMMED FROM FISHING, WHEN SOMEONE IS IN THE EXACT HOLE I WANTED TO FISH, WHEN I GET SKUNKED OR DON'T DO VERY GOOD OR I DON'T GET OUT WHEN I WANTED TO. THE THING THAT KEEPS ME GOING IS THE WHAT IF--- NEXT TRIP I POP THAT MONSTER, OR CATCH A TON OF GOOD ONES BECAUSE YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack you need a fishing buddy, give me a shout I am almost done with my new cat chaser I'll need someone to split the gas money with :wink: It is a 16 ft starcraft with a 350 chevy and berkeley jet pump. That will get us across the shallow riffles in the scioto.

7. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dont give up. Take a rest and get things in order and relax. Then go get em.:big_smile:

8. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When you enjoy catfishing I don't think you ever stop for good. I got away from it all together for a few years (because of work) but here I am back with a fresh outlook on it. I do have to admit that even though I stopped for those few years I would think about it often and the good times and enjoyment it gave me. Just had to do it some more....and here I am, back at it and meeting a bunch of nice people on here at the same time...ya can't beat that!!!!

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think you need to get a prescription for Prozac. :cool2::wink:

10. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch myseld going in waves of fishing. There will be weeks where I fish 7 out of 7 days but sometimes it will be 2-3 weeks in between fishing trips. Sometimes life gets too busy or I get frustrated with a bunch of skunked fishing trips in a row and sometimes it just feels like I don't have the desire so I don't go. But it never lasts. I always get that fishing feeling back like Brett Farve and his football itch. Just give it time don't force yourself into going and don't think about it and eventually you wont be able to stop thinking about fishing.

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I know how you feel brother, When I shattered my ankle in February I had no hopes of fishing this year, Between working over time to pay the medical bills, the pain, the stresses of everyday life, man I was ready to call it quits.

I have been burnt out several times this year, either getting skunked over and over, or coming off of a fish high and several nights on the water...

Life takes us all in different directions, but my advice is to never quit anything... back off, take a break, a new approach, a different path. Regroup and move forward is all we can do.

Good luck and tight lines brother!

12. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    put it this way, if you're heart wasn't in fishing, i don't think you'd be on here all the time talking about it! :wink:

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i used to fish atleast three nights a week untill i talked to an old timer who told me if i kept it up id be burnt out for a few years, so now i strictly fish on saturday nights and thats why i never lose the desire to fish because i limit myself, and if i happened to get skunked(only once this year...knock on wood) that just gets me more pumped for the next saturday, looking at your name flathunter, i can tell your the diehard flatheadder i wish i had the patince to be, if i were you id try to catch some channels, the action might pick up, you might not have the chance to catch a fish bigger than you, but a tub of chicken liver and a bag of shrimp can make a man "hungry" to catch those bigger fish.

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i actually was burnt out a little not long ago.when me and ramrod went the other night,that was my first in a month to a month and a half,i meant to get out,bust just didn't do it.happens to us all.i think some of it was also the fishing has been this year,a little aggravating.
    hopefully we are all straightened out at work for a while now,i will pm ya my cell number.hopefully we can get some trips in together.
    to be honest,i don't like going by myself very much either.my brother was my fishing partner,but he is in school right now to better himself,for some reason,so hes studying,going to school,or working.so i am out a partner myself.its always fun to have someone there to bs with and pass time.

15. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    NOPE! Not as long as the big guy upstairs has some water to wet a line in!......:wink:

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never lost the desire to fish. I endured some extreme difficulties that made fishing unenjoyable at times last year, but never lost the desire. My boat broke down on the Ohio river last year at least 4 times! THANK GOD FOR RIVER PATROL IN WEST POINT, KY!! That guy new my by name and it got to the point if he saw me at the ramp he would come and get info on where I was fishing and how long I planned to be out so he could come looking for me!!! We treated it as a joke, but it was real. Still the DESIRE to be on the water kept me going and sometimes it worked...............sometimes it didn't! Fishing is my passion, closely behind my wife and cutey pie!

17. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    "NEVER GIVE UP ! NEVER SURRENDER !!! "
    That's from some stupid Tim Allen space movie a few years back. I say it to myself all the time, seems like I've got a crisis everyday...

18. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dont give up man. i almost lost the desire after 20 straight fishless trips, but i kept saying if i stop now, ill have no chance of getting a fish ever. i came this far, im getting a damn fish. well, it paid off cause i finally got a flat i can be proud of. sounds like all you need is a short rest. take a break for a week. after that get a buddy and a case of beer and have some fun:wink:

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys..and to those who sent me your cell numbers I wil call you.

I thinkit's a combination of things, my back surgery, and not trusting myself physically yet.

those nets that were pulled from one of my spots really bummed me out.

there is so more more fishing pressure on my waters anymore, it seems that if you want to get a spot you have to get there by 5am or someone will allready be there.

Our sport has really grown, for the better? I dont know.

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think it is for the better that catfish are getting more attention. Now they will get more of the conservation efforts/money that they deserve. I am very excited about the growth of the sport and can't wait to make a living educating people about catfishing!!