Do You Ever Feel Guilty When Fishing?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by alands94, Aug 24, 2007.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    This might sound odd, but I'm curious if anyone else ever experiences this. I LOVE fishing, but due to job responsibilies I don't go nearly as much as I would like. My wife supports me going fishing (and even goes with me sometimes), but when I am out there I think about stuff that I should/could be doing at work or home. When I do get back from fishing, it seems like I have to work twice as hard to catch up. Any comments/suggestions?

2. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey brother you are out there to forget about all that for awhile enjoy the fishing, but yes i have done the same and it is always when im not catching any lol

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just retire and fish. Forget about that mundane stuff of trying to make a living. Get somebody else to pay the mortgage.

4. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to feel guilty when my kids were younger, because instead of making a square meal, we would grab sandwiches and eat on the river. But they loved it. I don't feel guilty any more. I have spent many days, and hours doing what should be done, what has to be done, and now, what should be done and has to be done will still be there (as long as there is no deadline) when we get done fishing or hunting. :wink:

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I'll have to be honest on this one. I'm KnotGillty :0a1:

:0a33:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yep i have felt guilty about it before. but its kind of hard to mow the grass or clean the garage at 2200 and its pitch black outside. so i get over it pretty quick

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Gotta Love the Weekends :wink:

I get up around seven
    Get outta bed around nine
    And I don't worry about nothin' no
    'Cause worrin's a waste of my... time

The ramp usually open around seven
    We go on the boat around nine
    Get on the bite about eleven
    Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

Chorus:
    We been dancin' with Mr. Whiskers
    He's been bite'n
    He won't leave me alone
    No, no ,no, he won't leave me alone
    I used ta fish a little but a little wouldn't do
    So the little got more and more
    I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
    Said the little better than before
    I used ta fish a little but a little wouldn't do
    So the little got more and more
    I just keep tryin' ta get a little better
    Said the little better than before

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I feel bad sometimes with my 7 month old son at home. I feel that I should be there with him every moment that I am not at work. But I have come to the train of thought that you need your "ME" time too. I know that there are things around the house that should be done, but I think that you should enjoy yourself now because chores and famliy stuff will only get worse and you will feel worse. I guess what I am getting at is go fishing because there will be a time when you wished you did.:wink:

9. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I never feel guilty about it. You have to get away from everything and just relax every once in awhile. Work is important, but you cant work all the time. Even with 2 kids at home I still get out whenever I can. I make sure my wife gets her alone time and she lets me have mine.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

I'm hoping to retire in 9 years. That's my goal, anyway. I'm pretty sure by that point all guilt will have subsided. :wink:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The President of the USA has spent seventy some days at his "ranch" in hang em high Texas this year already....I think it's ok for you to go fishing. You aren't a CEO are you, LOL. Fish without guilt; cept for the ones that got away.

12. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I used to feel a little bad when I didn't get something done that I should have done?
    Then I realized, it would be there tomorrow, so I would put it off and go fishing?

Sure enough, what I should have done the day before, was still there the day after I went fishing?

So, go fishing when you want, work when you can.

Ken

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Ah John,
    You very funny guy, you make us laugh.....we kill you last!
    My dad always used to say leave some work for tomorrow. That seemed like good advice to me.
    I never feel guilty, if you have a house or job or family there will always be something else you could have done instead if going fishing. If it's pressing enough to make you feel bad get it done and then go.
    I am lucky; Phyllis encourages me to go fishing so no problem there either.
    About the only thing that does bother me these days is the price of gas but I don't go to the bar or smoke so my only vice is fishing.
    To me, feeling guilty while you are out there would completely void the benefits of going...W

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I feel guilty about not going fishing enough.
    I feel guilty bout not hunting every day of deer season.
    I feel guilty for not spending more time in my garden.
    I feel guilty for not letting my wife an son have any free time on their own.

I worked..............once!
    I didn't like it.
    I won't make that mistake again!

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Great quote! I love it.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I feel guilty about NOT going fishing. I KNOW I should be out there on the water; I've GOT the time; I WANT to be there; I just need to get up off my lazy donkey and go. :beat_brick:

17. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    You are going to be and old man fast if you don't slow down. I did the same thing when I was your age. Back off fish, spend quality time with your family and ask yourself where am I today where do I want to be tomorrow. Look at it this order Church, family, then work.

18. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't go fishing as often as I "could". I stay home and cook dinners, wash clothes, help with homework, bathe kids, clean toilets, etc etc etc....

All that COULD wait.... I guess.

When I do go, I ask my husband if there is something he would rather me do instead. Well... let me rephrase that. I ask him if I'm going to tick him off if I go.
    If he says No, go ahead. My guilt is GONE!

I share my fishing time with my children a LOT. About 1/2 of my trips involve one or both of them. I can tell you I enjoy the time with them as much as the fishing!

Hubby doesn't like to go fishing much, particularly with me. He throws my bait out after 5-10 hours. :smile2:

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Absolutely not (spit).........never(spit)............ well there was this one time i went bass fishing in Alma Arkansa and felt it was a waste of good time but that probably don't count :smile2:.

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    :smile2: as I swallow another bite of fine catfish wishing I would have caught its daddy!:smile2: