Do you enjoy jug fishing for catfish?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by ShilohRed, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do you enjoy fishing jugs for catfish? Looking for a great Kit to make your own? Our comes with the parts to make your own Jugs. Best kits made.
    We at WildWolf Products mold up several different ABS plastic parts for use in our making of different products. We have decided to make parts available in kit form. We will offer different style jugs kits that are availble. The advantage in using our kits are
    Our Parts make for professional looking jugs.
    Our Parts fit all 1/2" or 3/4" PVC Pipe.
    Easy Glue up & makes Building Jugs a Breeze.
    The Plastic Flanges on the ends protects the Foam material.
    Our Flanges and JugMaster Spools are ABS Plastic and very Strong.
    The JugMaster Spool assembly store all of your line.
    The JugMaster spool assembly allows you to set line depth w/o Clips.
    The Spool will hold up to 50 feet of 100# Test Catfish Line.
    You will have to supply the Noodle Material, PVC Pipe and pvc/abs Glue.

10 Ft of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe at Home Depot is $1.62 Here in TN. 10 Ft of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe at Home Depot is $2.13 Here in TN. 2 5/8" Noodles at Walmart(5' Long) $1.66 3 3/4" Noodles at Walmart(5 ' Long) $3.38 Small Can of PVC/ABS Glue is approx. $2.50 You can use this information to Figure your Per jug Costs.
    Here is the link to our jug making page.
    http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/jugmake.htm

Pete

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We do it as a family outing. Wife loves to catch perch, so I have bait right there. We use the noodles and it is a blast to see them stand up and start bouncing.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Why do people like to jugfish? If you are the type of person who gets a kick out of watching a fish take a bobber under, you'll probably like jugfishing; it's the same feeling. Of course, once you have the fish in hand, it's your decision to release it or take it home for supper. Then too, jugfishing is an excellent way to prospect for new honeyholes. After all, any place where you catch fish reliably with jugs is a good spot to go back to when you're fishing with rod & reel. And it's hard to beat jugfishing for keeping the kids interested in fishing. Not only do I like jugfishing, but I've never taken someone jugfishing for the first time who didn't enjoy it, although I do understand that it's not what every single person enjoys.

4. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Jerry, I sure agree! It's like a mini-JAWS when that jug takes off and keeps going about half under water:crazy: My kids are grown and when they come for a weeks vacation on the lake with us, jugging is a must for each and everyone of them and I have 5 kids:smile2:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Is there an easy way to keep a batch of those bigger ones stowed neatly? How well do they stack in a 5 gallon bucket or milk crate etc.....

I'd like to try it sometime but not sure how to on the river, anchored or free floating.

Does a noodle have enough resistance to give a really good hookset on a BIG fish?

Thanks.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I had a boat years ago....jugging was a blast! The first time I ever took the wife fishing we went jugging in a "canoe". We were still dating at the time and I guess she musta liked it cause she married me anyway.....LOL. :smile2:
    As the storm came in....we had just set out 25 jugs and I've never seen so many jugs going under at the same time. Fish was going nuts and we caught lots of channels, some nice ones too. The rains caught us before we made it back to the dock, and we were both soaking wet, grinning from ear to ear with a heavy stringer. Lots of good memories jugging:cool2:

7. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I love to jug fish. The older I get the more I like the layed back fishing methods. Throw out some jugs move over and tightline and wait for a jug to go bobbing. Relaxing, fun, and the rewards taste great.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sheldon, jugging can certainly be a laid back way to fish, if you do it on a lake, cove, or backwater, but I mostly jug on the Arkansas River, and that's definitely NOT a laid back way to fish! I'm constantly running back and forth, picking up straggling jugs to put them back in the pack, and checking on flagged jugs. And my 'pack' runs from one side of the river to the other, and half a mile from the front to the back. They really get spread out in that current.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

If you're using noodles, find a plastic crate that's the right size to stack them in. I use 2-liter jugs, so the plastic shipping crates they sit in work great. My only problem was that a crate only holds 8 jugs, and we are allowed 20 jugs apiece here in Arkansas. I solved it by cutting the ends off a crate and fastening them onto a couple of other crates, so that I now have crates that hold 10 jugs each. One guy I know of uses gallon prestone jugs, and he uses a crate that will hold 10 of his jugs in each crate.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    We love jug fishing. I use a blue plastic storage box from walmart to
    haul and store my noodles in. This box holds 40 noodles. 4 rows of 8
    layed cross ways and 8 standing straight up on one side. I use a kahle
    hook Mustad 37141 4/0 and have no problem with hooksets. As far as
    looseing fish if you are holding the jug or line there is no place to relieve
    the stress. You have no drag or no rod so if you have a good fish and
    he is still green and he decides to go deep and you are holding the jug
    one of three things will happen, you will turn him, he will jerk the jug
    out of your hands, or he will tear off or straighten the hook. If you try
    to hoss in a good fish while he is still fresh you won't land 50%. Give
    him time to wear down fighting the jug.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With our kits the noodles have plenty of resistance to set the hook on a fish. Years ago we would catch plenty of fish over 50 lbs on jugs. We fished them about every weekend then. One of our jugs will put as much pressure on a hook as most people do setting the hook. Try this when the water is warm. Take one with 2ft of line with a loop on the end you can hold. Jerk that jug and see how much pressure it puts on your hand. It does not take as much pressure to set a hook as people think. As the jug is putting steady pressure on a fish. And when he feels that he or she will make a hard pull to free there selfs. Setting the hooks.
    You can use the plastic containers from wal-mart to store the jugs in. Or I have used the old milk carton, they work great to store them in. I put them in one of my livewells while transporting them in the boat. That and a compartment.
    When using them on the river, I bait up and let them drift down the river. We have to watch out for barge traffic on the Tn river here. As they will scatter them good.

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use jugs year round. I set my jugs then use rod & reel while watching the jugs. Better half loves to fish with jugs. She watches them while I rod fish, then drives the boat while I pick up the jug. :smile2::006:

13. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I do my jugs different than you guys I guess:crazy: The guys that showed me on Truman use 24oz pop bottles, alot smaller than you guys, the inside of the bottles are spray painted whatever color you want. I jug a huge 15' flat on a outside bend of the lake with the channel on the inside. We have caught 30# fish on these and they can't hold them down for very long either, and the big one always head for the channel as fast as they can, looks like the Jaws Movie:smile2: ANYWAY IT'S A BLAST

14. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :crazy: MAN OH MAN! You guys are firing me up! I want to give them a try BADLY!

Vector

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jugging is a blast,,, it will make kids out of old folks,,,, I make my own out of foam sheets,,, just cut them on a band saw. I use them mostly on KY Lake,,, they are fun,,,

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Love to see my quart oil jug standing on end !

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Pardon the pun but you will be hooked as soon as you have two or three jugs stand up at the same time..they are great for putting fish in the freezer..when ever I want to have a fish fry I take my noodles out of storage and head to the river with my hot dogs.

18. samrobin

samrobin New Member

State:
    texas
    Was going to try this but the shipping for the 24 dollar kit was 12 dollars.

19. samrobin

samrobin New Member

State:
    texas
    On the wild wolf products that is.

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad I make my own ! :eek:oooh: