Do you eat catfish out of the Mississippi river

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ERIC S, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Ia bunch of you all fish the Mississippi river, Do you eat what you catch or all release? I have been told that you can't eat the fish out of that river.

2. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Didn't know . Heard alot of folks talking about it but thanks for clearing that up. I guess I need to stay away from the fish from that other state. I have aenough issues as it is.lol

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't even eat catfish, or other fish for that matter, from the supermarket or long john silvers. I know I'm in the minority, but fish stink and taste bad also. I'll catch them all day long, and take my pictures, but they go back into the water.

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Eric, I got a private message on this topic from you but for some reason, you were not able to accept a reply. Ed S did a great job of answering it. Here's my commen
    We normally release anything over about 6 lb because we catch plenty of smaller ones. Anything over about 2 lb has a line of fat at the top of the back. We normally cut that off. Bigger ones are ok, but taste a little more fishy with the fat.
    Everything we bring home is eaten. We eat some ourselves and give lots away to folks that have always said they love em.
    The Miss may have some pollutants, but since it is so large, any contaminants are diluted. Heck the thing is 1/2 mile wide and 100+ foot deep. There are no warnings for Miss River fish, and a number of warnings go to other waterways. They're tasty too!
    Denny

5. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    Eric, We eat the fish we catch out of the MS. That water is cleaner than alot of lakes aroun here due to the current. It washes the contaminates away quickly and the water is fairly clean. The guys are right, anything over six pounds or so toss it back. Except for a flathead you can go a little bigger on those.

6. skyhead

skyhead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've basically grown up eating catfish out of the old Miss... in fact i just ate a little batch last night i fried up. There are MANY commercial fisherman around here who make a living, or hobby out of selling fish to the market strait from the river. I'm pretty sure the Iowa DNR guide tells you the mercury content, but as I recall, its so low you would have to live off eating the fish to even worry about it.

Not to mention all the Crappie and Bass ive eaten from the river :D

7. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    The river cats are cleaner than alot of our lakes.

8. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

State:
    AR
    Thats right skyhead.

9. cwell14

cwell14 New Member

State:
    LA
    If them Mississippi cats kill me, Stu can get up at my funeral and tell everybody I died happy.

10. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    Cody, Welcome to the BOC.

11. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with the other members. The river is much "Wilder" now then it was 20 or so years ago. THe epa and DEQ have actually done some good here! :eek:oooh: The river constantly gets flushed with fresh water and has lots of bacteria to break down all the "baddies" in the water. In Louisianan the WLF lists all the areas with high levels of contaminants and the MS river has never been on that list when I read it. I think alot of the problem is legend and media perception. It fits their anti industry agenda so they keep it going.:roll_eyes: