Do you back off the drag on your fishing reel when storing it ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Feb 26, 2009.

do you back your drag off after every trip or just when storring for a long time

1. back it off every time

2. back it off if storring for long time only

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i know if you store a abu for a pereud of time you should back the drag off do you do this after every trip or just for long storing times

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Every trip and that include's every reel not just abu:wink:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I might back them off a half turn or so on each trip,but when it comes to any lenght of time its all the way off almost. and I recheck each one everytime I get on the water, to make sure everythings in good working order.:wink:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YEP! Agree!

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have not seen any effects of backing the drag off a Penn reel yet in 5 yrs of fishing with them but this post may have just put my lasy a$$ in check:smile2::smile2:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I always back mine off too Dallas.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I do it, and always will, but the practice evolved when drag washers were leather and fiber. I'm not so sure it's all that critical for carbon and teflon.

I'm sure it happens, but I've never disassembled a drag that was jammed up, or non-functional in any way. That's not to say they would still deliver the same amount of resistance that new washers would, however.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I also back of the drag on all my reels every time I am finished fishing. With the newer reels, it probably is not a big deal, but why not do it anyway.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've been fishing 20 some years (my whole life) and have never heard of anybody backing the drag off for storage or any other reason than to use lighter line..... Someone please explain this to me :confused2:. Maybe its because i mainly use spinning reels? I'm not trying to say yall are wrong, its just i've never heard of it

10. Martin Rhodes

Martin Rhodes New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    The reason for doing is is to take the pressure off of the drag springs.

I am very guilty of not doing this, but I buy new gear every year and give the old stuff away to people I've met along the way that are just getting into fishing. :wink:

So next the time you see the docks and fishing holes crowded you can blame guys like me for part of it.

11. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i do the same, every trip all my reels, only takes 2 min to set the drag back to where you want it. ... justin

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Somewhere I read advice to back the drag off when done using the reel. I do it to every reel unless I forget. Something about flat spots in the washers. I want a smooth operating drag, and no jerks or hard spots. Its really important when the fish gets in and all of a sudden wants to make one more desperate run. I usually back my drag off when I get em close in so they don't break my line with a quick escape try.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks all for responding i to back it off every time im done i also should have not said abu this does aply to all reels with drag washers:wink:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't back mine off... ever. I guess I should, but have never had any problems. My reels never go into storage as we fish year around.

Bill in SC

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I really think that with todays materials, it's mostly a non-issue. I don't think that whether or not you back it off will affect the overall performance of tne drag. If you clean and lube your gear properly, you're good to go. The reel doesn't know if it's being fished with or not. What's the difference between fishing 10 hrs everyday non-stop or fishing 2 hours and putting the rod away after that until the next time?

What I have experienced is reels that haven't been taken care of having issues with the drag after long periods of no use, but I think that is due to lube drying out and dirt and crud in the reel making it stick.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I back mine off after every trip unless I'm planning on going back out the next day. It is to easy of an adjustment to chance damage to the drag washers, and parts associated with them.

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I agree, I do the same.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all my reels but 4 are old penns so i back mine off soon as i load them in the truck to head home.like most here i dont know if it helps but i sure know it dont hurt besides that way i know my drag is wright ever time i put my hook in the water.

19. kscowboy

kscowboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i also back mine off every time i'm done with them. new materials or not, metal will eventually lose its memory if its kept under stress for long periods of time.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I learned the hard way several years ago, I left the drag cranked down hard on a abu 6500 over the winter...Come spring I had no drag at all:smile2:

I now back them off completley after each trip.