Do you all alternate how to hook live bait (river , lake)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i was wondering if you all hook your bait differently . i heard when you hook through the tail. which i always do. you drownd your biat reeling it in. especially in the river current. but i heard hooking in the tail works best in a lake with no current . what do you all think ?????? going to night with nothing but shrimp and creek chubs . not to many chubs so i want them to live as long as possible..........

2. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What i do brother is when I'm fishing a river with a little current i hook the fish through the eye socket or nostrils.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

MIke I know its gonna sound "off" but, I try a couple of ways and let the fish "tell" me what they want. I try whole and uncut and cut 2 ways- I do one like the library shows as butterflied and just cut in half. As for live bait I tend to go through the lips in current and the back in "still" water. Hope that confuses you as much as it did me lol.

4. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    In still water..your live bait can swim around no matter where you place the hook as long as you don't kill the bait with the hook. If you hook them thru the bottom and top lip, they will not be able to live very long because water has to flow thru the gills in order for them to breath. In fast water hook them up front so when they are dragged by the current water will still flow thu the mouth and out the gills. The only other tip that I can think of right now is,,,If you hook them in the top half of there body they will tend to swim down, if you hook them in the bottom half half of there body they tend to swim up. So if you have a lot of large rocks or thick weeds hook your bait so it will try to swim up instead of going down and hiding in the cover. Wait a while and folks with a lot more knowledge will post and give you all kinds of good information. My idea's are not set in stone....but it's pretty hard clay..LOL:0a26:

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Fish will usually swallow bait head frist so in still water, i like to hook behind dorsal fin in swift water you have better luck through head, have had this same princeable work for crappie and minnows.
    JIM

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well from now own . i will go with hooking through the front some how. i believe i have tried this, but my bait died fast then to. i think i tried eyes. and as hard as i tried . i think i still hooked it to deep in his head. well anyway. i believe you all are right . so i'm just going to stick to that until it works. lol. thanks

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fishing live baits in current I always hook them in the nose to keep them facing into the current. They's live all night that way - unless, of course they get eaten!

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just read your last post -

With bluegills, menhaden, mullet, just about anything - what I do is put the hook point into their mouth and come out the top of their nose, just far enough back to get inot some tough stuff, but not so far you hit the brain! (Stay infron of the eyes by a bit). This lets them open and close their mouth to breath, and puts the hook point in a good position for a hook up.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If I'm fishing the bream right on the surface, say with a limbline, I hook the bream in the top of the tail so it will tend to swim down. If I've got it right on the bottom, I hook it in the bottom of the tail to try to get it to swim up just off the bottom. In a current, I hook it through both lips or through the eye sockets. Otherwise, I hook it through the back just in front of the dorsal fin. I prefer using smaller bream, but on the rare occasions I use a really big bait, I use two hooks, one in front, and one in back.