Do ya'll like it loose or do ya like it tight??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, May 22, 2008.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I've been doing alot of catfishing lately. In fact, thats the only kind of fishing i do anymore not that i dont like my walleye and bass. There's just something about a big'ol cat letting you know that he or she is'nt going to be landed without a fight. I have found by using two rods that the line i keep tight tends to make the fish more likely to hit, spit and run. The line that i keep loose tends to let the fish hit, keep and run. I have also found that by keeping a rod in my hands has allowed me to notice even the smallest of bites, wich have turned out to be some pretty impressive cats @ times. The rig i use keeps the fish from feeling the weight but will feel the tension of the rod if i keep the line tight. If i keep the line loose, the fish can't feel the weight or the tension of the rod until foot and a half of slack line runs out...by then it is usually too late for the fish. What do some of you think about this?:0a36:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i'm sure it varies on where & when you fish, but also i'm sure more will think this thread is something else by the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i tight line myself anymore more keepers less fish get away rick

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I seem to hook up nearly every time with a loose line. As for the title of this thread, it did exactly what i wanted, made someone think it was something else and got them to check it out.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If in lakes I leave a bit of slack ,but in the Mississippi it's hard to keep slack line.Too much current. When I read that title I thought boy what a loaded question.:roll_eyes:Hey it worked ,it got our attention.:big_smile:

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use mostly spinning reels - but - I use the reels with a "Free Line Feature" on it - just for that reason
    (to not let the fish feel the tenson & let then run with it)
    and by doing that I get alot most hook-ups.

:wink:

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    All the catfish I ever caught were on a open bail; but then again I usually catch channels. I have noticed when fishing with a closed bail the fish pick up the bait then spit it out. I would think it would be hard to fish with an open bail using live bait though.

Jaime

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I agree with you. It all depends on what kind of water your fishing.

9. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ive never fished with it loose... i think with loose it would be easier to see when the fish is actuley running with the bait.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    loose, tight, doesnt matter as long as im gettin it. i mean bit.

i fish both styles depending on where i am fishing. i have also noticed that different types of fish, and their feeding behaviors react differently to the 2 set ups.

all in all, it is whatever works best for you. and that you are comfortable with.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I noticed alot of people saying loose but with circles i thought you should keep your line tight?Am i wrong about that?

12. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I've always fished with a loose line, no matter what kind of hook i use. I would have to agree that it depends on where your're fishing and what kind of water it is. I'm gonna put it to the test tonight since i'm fishing a stronger current than usual. I'll hit back with some results tomorrow............

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i do both, whatever i can get.
    seriously though, i like a loose line in lakes where the fish does maybe a 3 or 4 foot run, and when it hits the end, that circle usually hammers down. in rivers, i tightline with the baitclicker on, and when a fish runs hard, i just engage the reel and get him on the bank. i think cats in different bodies of water behave differently too. i have a spot at a lake i fish, the water is only two feet deep right on the other side of a boulder. i use kahles at this spot, because the casts won't run with it. if you see the line twitch, you set the hook. usually when the cats are stacked in a hole they will run with a bait to avoid another cat stealing their food, but not this one. i have another spot where the cats almost always come right to the bank when they pick up a bait, and slip rigs don't work for me here. i use the kahle again, and when the line slacks up i set the hook. when i use circles at this spot they almost always get throat hooked and i don't like that. it's better to see what you have on the bank before you decide whether or not to keep it.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I prefer tight, however late at night it's dark, your not paying attention and somehow you fall asleep and wake up to a loose one. However when ya get older it dont matter as much, as long as your catching.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i always fish with tight lines. cant see the light biters with it loose.:cool2:

16. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    I fished tight line alot when I was young and did alright.Then an old timer told me too leave a little slack in the line. He said you will hook more fish that way and I did.Not too much just let the line bow down a foot or two from tight.Most fish move the line at least a foot when they hit it even small ones.
    Thanx

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I don't fish on that side of the river boyz. lol

I prefer the ménage à trois or three line rig. You have your main line and the sinker line taunt, but your leader is loose. The longer the looser. I prefer this rig because it lets me keep baits off of the bottom in deep water. Even in shallow water the fish feels no resistance till it takes off, and 9 times out or 10 will set the hook it's self no matter what style.:wink:

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have been mostly fishing for channel cats in lakes so I leave the bail open and let em run a bit before I close the bail and set the hook. If they go too far with mono it seems I loose em. I get a few with a tight line but usually by mistake when I'm fishing something else.

19. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish for channels almost exclusively in a local lake so I don't need very heavy sinkers. I do use slip sinkers and tend to keep the line only as tight as to not drag them. I also use only circle hooks and make sure the points are clean and exposed. I've found that even on the slowest and shortest runs the circle hooks seem to dig in at the corners of the channel's mouths at the slightest tension in the line. I don't recall having any fish come unbuttoned last summer. I hope this is helpful.

20. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    I've been noticing alot of talk about circle hooks lately...gonna have to give'em a try....thanks everyone!